Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (sppeders)      Join Date: Jul 2011       05-10-2012, 6:21 AM Reply   
Trying to figure out what is wrong with a friends boat.

To summarize...last week, was out on the lake skiing, boat was running fine. After our sets, we were idling back to the dock and the boat starting to run really rough, and whenever it would start running rough, the alarm beep would go off (water temp, oil pressure, batt. voltage all were fine).

Now fast forward to yesterday. I put a couple pints of seafoam in the tank, and also picked up a new TPS and IAC valve (but did not install right away). Double checked connections at the battery, plugs, distributor. Fired up the boat, was running fine, and took it for a 20 minute or so ride. During the ride, I did get the alarm beep a couple times, but it never did misfire when that happened. When I was just about back to home, I was clearing some weeds off the prop in reverse and the motor just died. When I tried to restart, it would just turn over and over but no fire.

After getting towed in back to the dock, installed the new TPS and IAC just so I could more or less check those two items off the list of being "the issue" but no luck. Did confirm that the motor does have spark.

I'm wondering if this could be a fuel pump issue? Are there any fuses/relays to check?

I don't THINK it's the kill switch, because from what I've read, if it's faulty, when you turn the key to on, it will only beep one time. I'm my case, it continues to beep with the key in the ON position. If I'm wrong with this, please let me know. We also checked for spark... All good there.

Anybody with some first hand experiences with this and have some suggestions? I'd hate to keep throwing parts at this thing, or even worse, have to tow it in to the dealer for them to look at it!
Old     (MrPeepers)      Join Date: Aug 2011       05-10-2012, 6:57 AM Reply   
Will it start after being allowed to cool down? Are the problems only present after running it?
Old     (sppeders)      Join Date: Jul 2011       05-10-2012, 7:52 AM Reply   
The problem was a rough idle last week, this week, no rough idle, it killed. We were unable to get it to start again last night. Tried a few things, engine sat for about 3 hours, were not able to re-start.
Old     (MrPeepers)      Join Date: Aug 2011       05-10-2012, 8:09 AM Reply   
Was ethanol fuel left in the tank over the winter?
Old     (sppeders)      Join Date: Jul 2011       05-10-2012, 8:52 AM Reply   
Negative, he's never ran a gallon of E10 through it, always pure gas. Always runs Non-Oxy.
Old     (srh00z)      Join Date: Jun 2003       05-10-2012, 8:47 PM Reply   
I have a 97 VLX and had a similar experience. It was the fuel pressure regulator. It was running very rich. From start up to speed it would run fine, then once you came back to idle it surged and the alarm would go off.