Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (kramer)      Join Date: Feb 2010       06-21-2010, 6:04 PM Reply   
I am looking to get a new board and I have narrowed it down to the LF Watson, Lyman, and the S4. I am looking at getting the 09 models since they are cheaper. Is there any big changes from the 09 to 10 models on these boards? What are you experiences and preferences of these three boards?
Old     (azwakeYO)      Join Date: Mar 2010       06-21-2010, 9:59 PM Reply   
i LOVED the watson. amazing board. the lyman is nice but i didnt like it as much. never ridden the s4 though...
Old     (andrew_moreton)      Join Date: Feb 2003       06-21-2010, 11:05 PM Reply   
The 2010 Watson Classic is the same shape as the Watson from last year at a lower price point, so if you decide on that shape, you might be able to get just as good of deal on the 2010. And there is a nice package price for the Watson Classic with Vantage open toe boots. The Watson and Lyman are both great shapes that you can't go wrong with. I ride both and they are great boards. Never spent much time on the S4 because I like the other two so much.
Old     (kramer)      Join Date: Feb 2010       06-22-2010, 7:37 AM Reply   
Thanks for the information. Is the watson as durable as the lyman? I have heard of people breaking the watson.
Old     (Maddog10)      Join Date: Jun 2010       06-22-2010, 9:54 AM Reply   
I have the 09 S4 and it is a sweet board. Now, I'm just a beginning rider so take my opinion for what it's worth but it seems to be a great ride. I have only ridden a few others and none of the two you have listed so I really have no basis of comparison. I don't think you will be disappointed in any three of them though.
Old     (andrew_moreton)      Join Date: Feb 2003       06-22-2010, 11:36 AM Reply   
The Lyman might be a little more durable than the Watson Classic just because it's a little thicker between the bindings, but how big are you going and have you ever broken a board before? I think the Watson should be plenty strong enough.
Old     (kramer)      Join Date: Feb 2010       06-22-2010, 12:01 PM Reply   
I am 6' and 170 and I dont think I would break it. I went to my local board shop today and they have a 09 watson limited edition for $275.00. Looks like a good deal to me.. Does that look like a good deal to anyone else?
Old     (andrew_moreton)      Join Date: Feb 2003       06-22-2010, 12:26 PM Reply   
The LTD Watson from last year has a grind base and will be even more durable than the regular. I would see if you can get it 50% off since it's an '09 and it's almost the 4th of July 2010.
Old     (kramer)      Join Date: Feb 2010       06-22-2010, 12:30 PM Reply   
they were asking 330.00 and the lowest they said they would go is 275.00
Old     (cheesydog)      Join Date: Mar 2009       06-22-2010, 8:40 PM Reply   
keep in mind the grind base watson will be looser because of the ptex covering the fins
Old     (timmo)      Join Date: Nov 2009       06-23-2010, 5:14 AM Reply   
I rode both the S4 Grind and the Watson Grind in 09 form yesterday- both are sweet. The S4 is looser when you're just ambling along, I think because of the progressive rocker so the fins are a littel higher out of the water, but once you're on edge it's pretty solid. The Watson has the most amazing edge I've ever ridden- really progressive and super locked in, can't believe how fast I could take corners. But if you want to splash about & surface 180/ 360, the S4 feels more slippery, even though I was in bidings 3 sizes too big on it- basically there's very little resistance if you just want to turn the board on the surface, but you pay for that with a slight delay before you can feel the edge.
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       06-23-2010, 10:48 AM Reply   
I believe that the Lyman is double glassed (i think one of my shop guys told me that), so in theory, it should be more durable. Just know that ALL BOARDS can BREAK. I've broken both the Lyman and Watson (a couple times). Also, the 2009 and 2010 Lyman's are the exact same shape...don't think anyone has answered this question for you yet.
Old     (etang789)      Join Date: Jul 2009       06-23-2010, 9:38 PM Reply   
You should also consider that the 2010 Watson has a new kick ass shape... else Lyman all the way
Old     (timmo)      Join Date: Nov 2009       06-24-2010, 4:17 AM Reply   
So for 2010 there's the "Classic" Watson (no grind base listed in the WW descripton, is that right? And the same shape as 2009?), the Watson (does that mean it's not a classic?) new shape & slightly longer board (again no grind listed?), the Watson FLY (same shape as the new/ non-classic but milled core rather than poured foam & plus 50% on the price tag), and of course the Hybrid, with its CNC wood/ pvc core & liquid rail sidewalls (not the "hook rail edge bevel" on the new shape) and a grind base because it really is all things to all men.

Confused!?? I know I am!

Is the Hybrid the same shape as the new-shape ?? Is it the only 2010 Watson with a grind base?

Classic:
http://www.wakeworld.com/products/in...detail&p=57868

New shape:
http://www.wakeworld.com/products/in...detail&p=57880

Hybrid:
http://www.wakeworld.com/products/in...detail&p=57895
Old     (andrew_moreton)      Join Date: Feb 2003       06-24-2010, 5:53 AM Reply   
Hybrid is the only board in the Watson series with a grind base. It's the same shape as the new Waston but a little thinner, lighter, and with different sidewalls.

The new Watson does not have a grind base, each size is 1cm longer than last year, no grind base, removable fins.

The Watson Classic is the exact same as the 2009 Watson.

The Fly is the lighter core on the new Watson shape.
Old     (kramer)      Join Date: Feb 2010       06-26-2010, 12:29 PM Reply   
Thanks for all the information. Went with the 09 watson ltd and love it!
Old     (timmo)      Join Date: Nov 2009       06-28-2010, 12:22 PM Reply   
I grabbed 20 or so cable laps on a Hybrid yesterday, man what a weird board!! So light it's unreal, but I overshot the corners for my first half a dozen of them!! Feels super light, very easy to get air, just an odd sensation. Also not convinced of the edge- it had the (OK tiny) four removable fins in (not my board so couldn't take them out), and it gripped real good but I wasn't sure if it was the edge or those fins... I need a Hybrid Hybrid- one with a bit more meat! The 09 Ltd with the grind base is a sweet choice!
Old     (rmm025)      Join Date: Aug 2005       06-30-2010, 9:58 AM Reply   
I have an 06 substance and just upgraded to the 09 watson, hope it perfoms as well as my substance has. Substance is still in great shape, but I need a little softer landing board for those flats, but still want to keep similar style riding and pop as the substance.
Old     (kramer)      Join Date: Feb 2010       06-30-2010, 11:52 AM Reply   
I had an 08 substance before I got the watson. I like the watson much more. It has more pop and the landings are a lot softer. I love mine!