Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 21, 2003

Old    never2old            04-29-2003, 6:16 PM Reply   
The lake I put my boat in leaves a stain on my white boat, I assume it's from the color of the water. The only product I've found that will remove the stain is CLR but am concerned about it's effect to the gelcoat. Anyone have experience with using CLR or know of another product to remove stains from the gel coat?
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       04-29-2003, 6:18 PM Reply   
try sno-bol. it is super cheap and works like a champ
Old     (jschwart73)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-29-2003, 6:28 PM Reply   
Star-Brite hull cleaner. Follow the directions exactly, and put a couple of coats of wax on your boat afterwards, you'll be happy.

Also, a couple of coats of good wax will do wonders for being able to wipe stains off at the end of the day.

-Jeff
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       04-29-2003, 6:34 PM Reply   
hull cleaner = $10
sno-bol = $1.30

use it on your boat, use it in the toilet. multi purpose.
Old    turtle            04-29-2003, 6:43 PM Reply   
You need to get some FSR /fiberglass stain remover.

This stuff is great!!

Works so good...you guys should not be without it!
Old    never2old            04-29-2003, 6:44 PM Reply   
Thanks for the advise so far,
I have been putting on a couple of coats of wax in the spring and summer but still have the staining problem. Kind of concerned, due to planning to put the boat in the water for about six week straight. The lake I hit is way down and the ramp is a mess so am putting it in a slip. Any great products out there that will help prevent the stains?
Old    never2old            04-29-2003, 6:47 PM Reply   
Any suggested on-line suppliers of FSR?
Old    turtle            04-29-2003, 6:52 PM Reply   

This is it

http://www.starmarinedepot.com/detail.asp?product_id=DA8001&p=Davis+FSR+Fiberglas s+Stain+Remover

(Message edited by turtle on April 29, 2003)
Old    never2old            04-29-2003, 7:05 PM Reply   
Thanks for the information!
Old     (robandrus)      Join Date: Feb 2002       04-29-2003, 11:45 PM Reply   
Would that stuff remove oxidization? I just bought a boat that looks like it's been neglected for a few years, the red is now a foggy pink. Whats the best wat to get rid of oxidization?
Old    daveyboy            04-30-2003, 4:37 AM Reply   
SRF,
Sno-bol is the best ive found
Old     (sandbag)      Join Date: May 2002       04-30-2003, 5:49 AM Reply   
The stain you have is caused by tannic acid.
Here in Florida it is mostly comes from Cypress
trees around the lake. FSR is the gentlest
cleaner to use because its thick and will stick
to the hull. It can do its job with out dripping
all over the trailer. (but you have to paint it on thus, its more work.
If you can find it, A to Z wheel cleaner in the black bottle (not the newer clear bottle) is a little easier on the trailer than sno-bol.
If you do use sno-bol make sure you dilute it
50/50 at least! Sno-bol contains the most hydrocloric acid of all the products mentioned and will discolor your brass and may damage the trailer paint/powdercoat. If you have a galvanised trailer, drap some visqueen over as much of the trailer as possible. You will see instant changes in the galvanization as soon as the hydrocloric acid touches it.
I have also found that I only get stained if I leave the boat in the water for days. If I take the boat out after one day of use, rain water and sunlight will take care of the mild stain.
Old     (robandrus)      Join Date: Feb 2002       04-30-2003, 10:44 AM Reply   
I checked into that FSR link, it's $7.95 a bottle plus like $8.75 shipping, I think I'll head down to my local marina instead.
Old     (sherman)      Join Date: Feb 2002       04-30-2003, 11:19 AM Reply   
I had the same prolbem in the delta. I went to west marine and they told me about a product called on and off. Used it once and it worked like a charm. This was the first product that seem to work. You just spray it on and hose it off that easy no rubbing or scrubbing (its great)
Old     (tre)      Join Date: Jul 2002 Location: WI       04-30-2003, 11:45 AM Reply   
I agree with the sno-bol - it is suer easy to use and the hull looks brand new when your done. Just wipe it on with a sponge and hose it off two minutes later.

Sandy has great advice about the trailer and the brass - keep the sno-bol away from it. Also - avoid the decals - it will eat them off.
Old    jschilling            04-30-2003, 2:16 PM Reply   
To get back to your original question, No I don't think CLR harms your gel coat. I have been using it for over three years on two new boats without any problems. I mix it 50/50 with water, spray on, wipe with rag, then rinse off.
Old    helix_36            04-30-2003, 4:56 PM Reply   
our boat was thick with scungey green/brown , we used acid wash-toilet bowl cleaner, and it worked like a charm, took about 10-15 minutyes to do the whole boat too.....spray it on, wash it off..