Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through January 12, 2008

Old     (26lacefield)      Join Date: Aug 2006       11-16-2007, 9:56 AM Reply   
does anyone know what the deal is with that stuff. i saw online that you can buy it for an average of 46 cents a gallon. is there anything that i would have to change on my truck(05 F-250/6.0L) to be able to run the Bio-Diesel.
Old     (gwnkids)      Join Date: Nov 2003       11-16-2007, 10:28 AM Reply   
You cannot "buy it" for anything less than what regular dino diesel is going for.
Where the cost savings comes in is when you brew your own from WVO. Check out the web sites for a ton of info. And yes you are right 65 to 75 cents per gallon and you can run it in any diesel I have a 03 duramax
http://biodieselcommunity.org/
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/biodiesel/
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       11-16-2007, 10:32 AM Reply   
do you brew your own bryan? how long does it take?
Old     (gwnkids)      Join Date: Nov 2003       11-16-2007, 10:40 AM Reply   
Depending on what size and type of processor you are using it can take anywhere from 2 to 4 days for a 50 gallon batch to go from raw WVO (McDonald's fryer) to the truck. The steps are not labor intensive (its like watching bread cook) but time consuming do to the steps needed and settlement time to get quality fuel.
Old     (26lacefield)      Join Date: Aug 2006       11-16-2007, 11:02 AM Reply   
is the brewing equiptment real expensive. in my fam we have 2 diesel trucks my F-250 and my dads F-450 so i think it would be worth checking this out. what happenes when your using your Bio-Diesel and then you go out of town and don't have a Bio-Diesel station fo fill up with. does it hurt the motor if you put regular diesel back into it.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-16-2007, 11:34 AM Reply   
I've done a little reading on this & am confused on some of the language being used. It looks to me like there are two types of diesel alternatives being messed with now. But both are being called "Biodiesel". Maybe someone can clarify for me.

Biodiesel is where they mix up to 15% or 20% of this "diesel" fuel made from various crops with regular dino diesel fuel. This particular fuel can be used in virtually any kind of diesel engine. And this kind of fuel (along with E85 gasoline) should help put the farmers to work.

WVO or waste vegetable oil is where you burn the garbage oil out of restaurant fryers. Guys are collecting it from their favorite McDonalds or mexican restaurant, filtering it multiple times & then using it in place of diesel fuel. From what I understand though, the truck must be pretty heavily modified, ie; tank heaters, fuel filters, multiple tanks, etc. The reason being that cold WVO will not flow because it gells up. So you have to start the truck using diesel, warm up the WVO, switch over to that tank, run it all day, and then switch back just before you turn the engine off so the fuel system is full of diesel to start the next day. Probably not the ideal system for some people because of the system build up, collecting of fuel, etc. And while it's great for the environment, there is definitely not enough WVO for everyone. Although I did just see a Craigslist ad for someone selling & delivering WVO in my town for $1.95/gallon.

Do I have it straight? Seems to me the best option for the masses is the first one. Gets us out of using foreign oil, puts our own people to work, and helps the environment. But there is definitely a market for WVO, just on a smaller scale.
Old     (dlamont)      Join Date: Apr 2003       11-16-2007, 2:03 PM Reply   
Bill,
this will give you all the info on the difference between WVO/SVO and Biodiesel and even how to make it: http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_make.html

I run 100% biodiesel in my VW during the warmer months and mix in some regular diesel during the winter. The only issues I had was replacing my fuel filter after a few tanks and just replaced the seals on my fuel pump after 70K miles.
It is great stuff and with the cost of diesel so high, biodiesel is actually less right now!

Still thinking of an X-2?
Old     (pdxviperguy)      Join Date: Jul 2006       11-16-2007, 5:06 PM Reply   
I have a 2004 Hummer H1 that runs pure WVO (Waste Veggie oil) My buddy helped me build a home filtering and fueling station and I have a source for about 220 gallons per month at no cost. It's the wave of the future. the company that converted mine is www.lovecraftbiofuels.com check them out.
Old     (gwnkids)      Join Date: Nov 2003       11-16-2007, 5:32 PM Reply   
Here is a typical WVO prossessing (home brew) set up

Upload
Old     (pdxviperguy)      Join Date: Jul 2006       11-16-2007, 5:55 PM Reply   
wow that is far from a "typical" set up, no disrespect intended. While it's impressive, it's clear that the system here is designed for high volume use. This is much more like what most users are dealing with for the average user.
http://fryertofuel.hypermart.net/store/

(Message edited by pdxviperguy on November 16, 2007)
Old     (gwnkids)      Join Date: Nov 2003       11-16-2007, 6:08 PM Reply   
Bryan - The cost of this setup is only $720 (because its a new hot water heater). If you find a old one for free then the cost for an "appleseed" setup can be a low as $ 300. The ones you show do not have wash tanks which is a important step in quality bio, and yes driving 3,000 mi a month you can go through some fuel.
Here is a smaller unit
Upload
And another that can be bought on ebay

Upload
Old     (pdxviperguy)      Join Date: Jul 2006       11-16-2007, 6:28 PM Reply   
I agree that at that mileage a larger set up would be necessary. Most users are not using a whole ton of fuel and there for do not need a complex set-up. I am running SVO and not bio. It requires much less processing and is completely free of on any sort of chemical additive or petroleum product what so ever as I am sure you know.

(Message edited by pdxviperguy on November 16, 2007)
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-18-2007, 10:57 PM Reply   
I've read thru the websites posted above, plus the Ebay auctions selling these conversions. So where do you guys purchase new fry oil? And how much is it?

Last night we went out to eat at our favorite Mexican restaurant & the owner happened to sit down beside me to chat a bit. I asked him how much fry oil they go thru in an average week....... about 15 gallons. It's picked up by the garbage man monthly, around 50 - 75 gallons every month.

The problem is there aren't any descent diesel SUVs on the market. I don't need a truck except for towing, and would rather have the seating for people & dogs. The list of diesel SUVs is short, Jeep Liberty & VW Toureg. The Liberty doesn't tow squat & the Toureg is like $50k.
Old     (gwnkids)      Join Date: Nov 2003       11-19-2007, 7:41 AM Reply   
Bill check out the Ford Excursion 4x4 Eddie Bauer in the 7.3 or 6.0 diesel they can haul 8 + all the gear
Old    wakeridinrob            11-19-2007, 1:05 PM Reply   
hey i have been looking at this thread and finally signed up for a WW account.

But Did you know that the diesel motor was designed to run on peanut oil?
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-20-2007, 2:50 PM Reply   
Sounds like some other people are finding the same thing I am..... that diesel vehicles just don't meet their needs. So this guy, Jonathan Goodwin of H-Line Conversions, is working on converting everyday cars to hybrid & biodiesel technologies. Arnold Schwarzeneggar is having his 87 Jeep Wagoneer converted bio. Neil Young is having a 59 Lincoln converted to hybrid/biodiesel. Sounds like he was featured on a Pimp My Ride episode back in April.

This is funny……

……..convert a beat-up classic American muscle car to run on biodiesel for a special Earth Day episode of MTV Network’s “Pimp My Ride” (PMR) television show. Goodwin agreed and flew out to Galpin Auto Sports’ garage in Southern California to begin work earlier this year. After 500 hours of taping and build time, the outcome was the ideal “green machine”—an 800 horsepower biodiesel-powered 1965 Chevrolet Impala that gets 25 miles per gallon (mpg). Not only did Goodwin convert the engine despite skepticism from producers of the show, but the car also demonstrated the sheer performance that can be achieved using the renewable fuel. The upgraded Impala raced a Lamborghini at the Pomona Raceway and left it in the dust.

http://www.hlineconversion.com/tv-media.php#readmore
Old     (steve_jones)      Join Date: Jun 2006       11-20-2007, 3:19 PM Reply   
That pimp my ride story is too cool.

I just ordered a V10 Touareg so I've been researching bio diesel quite a bit. I am also pretty close to ordering at least one of our new camp boats with a diesel engine but at 25k+ it doesn't make sense right now, unless we can get a better deal.

The best information I've found is at the Yahoo Groups (listed above). I'm probably not going to make it at home or at the camp unless we start using it in higher volume but you can buy B5, B20, B100, and so on, at $2.75-$3.00 a gallon in my area so that's pretty cool.

Bill, I believe the Jeep Cherokee and Commander come in a diesel as well, in fact I'm about 80% sure because I looked at them a month ago when I bought the new car and will probably upgrade my Jeep Cherokee with a new one later in 2008. My 99 tows (X-Star, 220 Nautique, 21 VLX) just fine, much better than you would think.
Old     (hal2814)      Join Date: Feb 2006       11-21-2007, 6:23 AM Reply   
A lot of restaurants pay a decent sum of money to have their grease hauled off. You can't just throw it in the trash. If you can convince them to let you take it, you could save them some money and get a source for bio. Of course, it's a liability for them to hand it over to you instead of "properly" disposing of it so they're probably not going to just give to someone they barely know. Just make sure not to take Willy's retirement grease.

The Grand Cherokee now has a diesel option but you're going to pay quite a bit for it since it's there's a premium on the option and they're expecting near retail for them. The Commander does not have a diesel option and there are no plans to give it one. I think it's just not selling well enough to bother with making it an option. The Grand Cherokee is probably the best diesel-based mid-sized SUV out there right now.

New Jeep Cherokee? I wish. If only they still the almighty Jeep Cherokee. It had a diesel option once upon a time but the transmission attached to them back then was a piece of poo and I don't think it was a turbo diesel. All I remember about them was that my buddy had a mid-80's diesel Cherokee and it was like the smoke screen car in Spy Hunter without the speed.