Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through September 10, 2007

Old     (trickyboarder08)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-22-2007, 10:40 AM Reply   
I want to know all the pros and cons or both. So let the battle begin.
Old     (seanmcd)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-22-2007, 11:53 AM Reply   
WOW!

Can we also make your first 5 payments and fill your gas tank as well??

Note: When I ask a question such as this, I usually find that if I put down some specific questions, along with some information that I have already found, there is a much higher likelihood of getting informative responses.

Also, you might want to try to search for some info first.

Hey! Maybe even put in the disclaimer "I searched and found out this, blah blah blah, but want to know this, blah blah blah."

Sean
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       08-22-2007, 1:22 PM Reply   
Kee:
why did you throw those tricks back to back on your first pass on saturday?
Old     (jon4pres)      Join Date: May 2004       08-22-2007, 1:39 PM Reply   
2001 Pros - Wake, Gas usage, Fun to drive, Easy to weight

Cons - Possible Stringer rot, Room,

Never been in a sunsport so I will let someone else handle that one.
Old     (trickyboarder08)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-22-2007, 1:44 PM Reply   
nacho, what are you talking about. At TSR? Where u there?

And I was just looking for any and all info. Sorry about being so vague.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       08-22-2007, 2:02 PM Reply   
yep.

You're not going to have the common pisser for these boats. Not so many hot-head morons in older boats that feel like they need to defend their purchase.

Never been in a sunsport, but you should have more storage. Open-bow. And it will take a little more weight since its 21 ft and a bit wider.

were you behind the X or rz2?
Old     (fuel)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-22-2007, 3:46 PM Reply   

Pros: Fantastic wake, handles like a dream, great resale, takes very little ballast to make a great wake, fairly available, it's a Nautique.

Cons: Very little room (closed bow), stringer rot issues, costs more than other makes due to demand.

Sunsport

Pros: Roomy (open bow), good wake, usually costs less than a 2001.

Cons: Stringer rot issues, less availability (not as many made as the 2001), takes a little more to weight it, a lot of gay colors for some reason.

This is just the info I have found on reading posts. I have no experience with the Sunsports. I do have lots of experience with the 2001s and the MC PS 190s. From what I have seen (and this may just be in my area), it is easier to find a nice 2001 that has been kept in great shape. I think this may be due to the fact that they initially were more expensive than the Supras. I have found a few Supras in good shape, but most that I have come across have been in poor to fair shape. All the Supra owners that I have talked to were happy with the boat (unless they had to redo the stingers!). I hear the wake is a lot like the old DD Launch. The wake is supposedely more rampy than the 2001s. Also, for some reason, Supra had lot of really fruity colors in those years. As a matter of fact, I don't think I have ever seen one that was great. If you are colorblind and think blue, pink, mauve, orange, teal, and yellow go great together than you'll love Supras!

I have seen some 2001s in bad shape (mine was one of them), but most are in fair to good. I have seen several 2001s in excellent to damn near mint condition, too.

Anyway, that's just my lowdown. Take it for what it's worth.
Old     (trickyboarder08)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-22-2007, 5:08 PM Reply   
I was behind both the X and RZ2. I rode the RZ2 the first day, and I hate that wake. Then I rode behind the X-star perfect wake. Didn't do so hott either day, but i did get 4th the second day, even though I fell twice.

I'm looking at both the 2001's and Sunsports. I found a 1982 2001 in mint condition for 6k. It has a ski pylon and he's gonna throw in some wakeboards and a rope. And on the other hand I found a 1985 Supra Sunsport that needs interior done for 4k. It is in fair condition, but needs all of the interior redone. What's the better value. Or should I wait and look for another boat?
Old     (illkid)      Join Date: Sep 2006       08-22-2007, 6:00 PM Reply   
Both are great boats that can produce great wakes. I have a 2001 and one of my best riding buddies has a sunsport so I have a ton of experience with both. The single best advice I can give you is to decide what you want to use it for -

If you just want to ride with 2 of your closest friends and that's it, get the 2001.

If you want to ride then chill in the middle of the lake with 10 of your closest friends, get the sunsport they have tons of room.

good luck
Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       08-22-2007, 7:34 PM Reply   
2001 hands down. im not a fan of the pre 86 interiors though. however i really dislike the 80s supra interiors and the 80's supras ive driven handled horrible! id go with nauti but im biased lol
Old     (jon4pres)      Join Date: May 2004       08-23-2007, 7:07 AM Reply   
Sounds like both of the boats you found are good deals.

The 2001 can be really steep and it sounds like the supra will be more mellow.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       08-23-2007, 4:47 PM Reply   
Assuming similar condition, I'd take a Sunsport over a 2001 any day for interior room. Both wakes with proper weight are superb. Closed bow 19 footers are cramped even for two with any sacks.
Old     (lovin_the_wake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-24-2007, 5:46 AM Reply   
I love my Sunsport nice wake lots of room and tons of storage