Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 13, 2007

Old     (knarbar)      Join Date: Nov 2006       05-03-2007, 4:00 PM Reply   
I know this helps the boat plain out and adds more weight and a better wake obviously. Whats the theory though as far as the hull goes, does it make the wake more ramp, does it make it steeper, wider, narrow??? Im trying to get the wake dialed in. 07 Malibu VTX 3stage ballast no weight in the nose and wedge any suggestions
Old     (ogopogo)      Join Date: May 2005       05-03-2007, 4:04 PM Reply   
Firmer, cleaner and less straight up/Steep
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       05-03-2007, 4:33 PM Reply   
Best place to add weight IMO.
Old     (trippin132)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-03-2007, 4:38 PM Reply   
you put weight in the back of the boat: wake gets steep and cresty. normally breaks closer to the back of the boat.
you put weight in the front: wake will mellow out and make it more rampy. also pushes the curl of the wake further back from the boat.

putting weight in the front wont make the wake bigger it is just used to get the shape of the wake.
on current malibu hulls, especially running the wedge you will find most people will run a good bit of extra nose ballast to get the boat
nicely on the plane and get the wake, big, solid and conisistent...

//lee
Old    deltahoosier            05-03-2007, 4:40 PM Reply   
Typically:

Weight in Back = steep peaky wake
Weight in Front = rounder wake
Weight in Back = more potential to not hold speed. Meaning you need to make more throttle moves to keep your speed stable.
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       05-03-2007, 4:57 PM Reply   
Lee and Rod, agree with you BUT putting weight in the front is how the wake gets HARDER in my opinion.

As with everything, its finding the proper balance but in my opinion 3-400 pounds in the front of any boat helps harden it up.
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       05-03-2007, 5:02 PM Reply   
putting weight in the front makes the boat less sensitive to side to side weight discrepancies.

I think it does a lot to make the prime spot of the wake longer. With a 50/50 weight placement, it will make the sweet spot of the wake 4-5 feet long.

With a more rear weighted weight placement, it will make the sweet spot considerably shorter than that, making it harder to find that "sweet spot". ya feel me?
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       05-03-2007, 5:04 PM Reply   
I have an 05 VLX and we always run with the front tank full and 300+ lbs of lead in the driver/main storage area along with a big fat sac on the main floor area and nothing in the rear compartments but stock ballast and then the wedge.
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       05-03-2007, 6:22 PM Reply   
I have seen pic's of your wake Rich, I think you have it figured out. Good luck to Chris this weekend.
Old    deltahoosier            05-03-2007, 9:52 PM Reply   
Mike, you are saying the same thing. Instead of the wake having a peak, the wake will get more full and round thus more solid/ harder.
Old     (driving)      Join Date: Jan 2003       05-04-2007, 3:23 AM Reply   
Evenly weighting the boat will generally keep the wake the same shape it originally is, but just make it bigger. Not to mention you maintain more of the natural handling characteristics of the boat.

If you go overboard with it though, it can actually make the wake washy, and more sensitive to side to side problems.
Old     (knarbar)      Join Date: Nov 2006       05-04-2007, 9:30 AM Reply   
I bought a custom locker sac yesterday its 600lbs. Not very custom for the malibu cause its a little wide for the walkway but its not tall like the phat boys. Im guna mess w it on sunday wedge plus 3 stage ballast i believe is 1250lbs plus the 600 in the nose should be nice i post some pics on Monday
Old     (entrustclothing)      Join Date: Jul 2005       05-04-2007, 9:50 AM Reply   
i know it's been said but allow me to reitterate, weight in the front makes the wake firm! you can have a big wake with just weight the back but the wake is be soft and won't give you much pop at all! weight in the front is key on any boat! so more than others!!
Old     (hawk7)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-08-2007, 7:18 PM Reply   
IDK, i hafta put more weight in the back and nothing in the front, the supreme kicks out a rampy wake.