Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through September 10, 2007

Old    bocephus            08-13-2007, 12:35 PM Reply   
STOLEN BOAT INFO - SEE HERE
Old     (wakejunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-13-2007, 1:01 PM Reply   
That sucks but, how?

Chris
Get the Grip you Deserve
www.wakejunky.com
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-13-2007, 1:36 PM Reply   
I remembering hearing about this one. There is a lot of boat theft going on in NorCal. Shasta and Discovery Bay are other communities that are being hit also.

THAT SUCKS and I hope they catch the thieves. Unfortunately, I don't think you will get too much info for $2K.. IMHO
Old     (rodltg2)      Join Date: Oct 2005       08-13-2007, 2:32 PM Reply   
ill keep an eye out...

what can you reall do with a stolen boat?? part it out? have fun for few hours then ditch?? i dont see how it can be sold.
Old     (technarider)      Join Date: Jun 2006       08-13-2007, 5:41 PM Reply   
Whos boat?? they here on WW?
Old     (hudd007)      Join Date: May 2006       08-13-2007, 6:06 PM Reply   
Its actually a friend of mine. Not on WW.
Old     (technarider)      Join Date: Jun 2006       08-13-2007, 6:33 PM Reply   
that really sucks.. pretty bold to take it from a house i would assume..

(Message edited by technarider on August 13, 2007)
Old     (pwningjr)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-13-2007, 7:39 PM Reply   
when you think about it, it would be pretty easy... considering it was sitting on the driveway. Just back up the truck in the middle of the night, 30 seconds to hook up and its gone!! man that sucks!! I'm glad we keep ours in the garage...
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       08-13-2007, 7:57 PM Reply   
uh... trailer lock? Don't most people use trailer locks? I know I do for sure.
Old     (tyboarder03)      Join Date: Nov 2003       08-13-2007, 8:03 PM Reply   
I do
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       08-13-2007, 8:17 PM Reply   
There is an interesting article in boating magazine written from the perspective of a boat thief. He says that the locks are a joke (I use one) and that they are through them in literally seconds. Also they sell the boats down in florida and they wind up in Cuba or other neighboring country's. I guess they are very hard to trace and the hull numbers dont mean a whole lot so getting away with it is fairly easy.
Old     (nasty530)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-13-2007, 8:33 PM Reply   
Locks, covers, etc only keep "honest" thieves away. If someone wants it they will can probably get it. I have 3 pitbulls that do a pretty good job of keeping what mine mine. But you can get around just about any deterant.
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-13-2007, 9:04 PM Reply   
If you could figure out a way of removing the trailer tounge altogether that seems to be the only way to totally prevent it...
Old     (wake_pirate)      Join Date: Mar 2007       08-13-2007, 10:12 PM Reply   
That sucks, Hey if the theives would like another good boat, come on over to Orangevale. My boat is insured & is worth more when stolen.
BTW you might get shot if you get past the motion detectors, gate & dogs!
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-14-2007, 9:39 AM Reply   
I dont steal boats, but I just parted out a 1993 bayliner and sold all the parts on ebay for a lot of money. The right boat with the right parts can catch a lot of money. If they wanted, they could just sell the outdrives, shafts, engine, engine components, etc. and probably make around $10k. Once it is parted, take the boat to the middle of nowhere and ditch it, then sell the trailer. Only problem is you won't have a title for the trailer.
Old     (olskooltige)      Join Date: Mar 2007       08-14-2007, 12:00 PM Reply   
Many states do not title trailers anyway. All you need is a letter or origin, which many times can be faked. Any trailer can come from Alabama or Kentucky, no registration there either. Needs some form of origin. Bill of Sale, papers, etc. Bill of Sale is about as useful as tp.

(Message edited by olskooltige on August 14, 2007)
Old     (boardcrazy)      Join Date: Oct 2003       08-14-2007, 6:28 PM Reply   
I always wondered about this. I thought if someone took my boat, it wouldn't be hard to use it without doing anything at all to it. I have never even had anyone check my registration...it's not like a license plate..most boats just have the registration numbers bought from the local hardware store. You just need to do whatever you can to keep thieves from getting it to begin with...