Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (robo)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-01-2007, 9:38 AM Reply   
Hello everyone. I've been surfing behind my buddies Supra 24 but just don't stack the paper like he does. I'm searching for an affordable boat that will kick up a comparable wake to surf. I'm looking into the CC 2001's but have read conflicting info on the surf wake (not wakeboard wake, we all know about that). The CC SS Nautique is at the top of my price range, even the 95 and 96's. I'm not familiar with boats other than CC (I know CC boats, but not their surf wakes) and the Supra mentioned above, so am leaning on ya'll to steer me to some other options. All opinions are appreciated, but I'd like someone to compare their wake to the Supra as it is the only boat I've surfed behind or have access to at this time. Thanks again.
Old    xtremebordgurl            07-01-2007, 12:33 PM Reply   
check out http://www.onlyinboards.com you can search for used boat and you can enter in a price bracket. To be honest I can't tell you personally that much about different boats and their wakes but I do believe it is safe to say that any wake boat + a butt load of weight on one side and a good driver will equal a nice wakesurf wake.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       07-01-2007, 3:55 PM Reply   
Friends of mine have an 88 CC 2001. They could not surf a Broadcast 5.6 behind that boat. I gave them one set behind my Centurion Lightning and let them borrow my IS Red for a couple of hours, They we’re up and surfing on the Red Tide in no time. If you have a small wake you need a bigger board like the IS Red. I don't think the 2001 is going to be a great surf boat.

A few weeks ago my friends bought a Centurion Avalanche. The difference in the surf wake is night and day. An older Avy, maybe a 2002, or an old Wakesetter might do it but that might also break the bank. If you want to surf o na d-drive with a smaller wake, buy a bigger board like an IS Red and Maybe a SStixx Ja Maco
Old     (robo)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-01-2007, 4:07 PM Reply   
Thanks both. I just saw a pic of a pretty decent wake behind an 85 Supra Sunsport, thanks to the link above, for 12,500. I'm gonna include that in my search. Any others? I'm all ears. I think you're right about the 2001, it's getting close to getting scratched off the list. Any Pro or Tristar surfers out there? What about old Moombas? Checking out the Centurions now. Thanks.
Old     (jmanolinsky)      Join Date: Dec 2005       07-02-2007, 2:06 PM Reply   
I have a 2000 Moomba Mobius Direct Drive. I surf behind it. I'm sure it is not the best wake, but it has been adequate for me. I throw 3 sacks in it now, but used to surf with just one.

Jman
Old     (spyderman)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-02-2007, 5:45 PM Reply   
Here is another picture surfing behind the '85 Supra you mentioned above. We had no problem surfing with the IS Yellow, 6 guys, and one sac filled with 500 lbs next to the engine. It's not a monster wake (almost thigh high) but it can clean up better than this if we really work at it. We were out demoing boards for http://www.lakeeffectsupply.com and really enjoyed the IS Yellow and Shoreline Squash.

They are getting in some Walker boards (and hopefully some shredd stixx) soon so it should be interesting to see how they ride.

Upload

(Message edited by spyderman on July 02, 2007)
Old     (showtz)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-03-2007, 7:40 AM Reply   
Hey spyderman I checked out your LES website and noticed you have a lot of wakesurf boards. What do you recommend for a beginner with a CC 2001?
Old     (ogopogo)      Join Date: May 2005       07-03-2007, 11:49 AM Reply   
Old supra sunsport or the other large one. They will work fine if you add ballast.
Old     (robo)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-03-2007, 7:26 PM Reply   
Thanks for the replies. I've been seeing some Supras in my searches in my price range. How has the hulls changed over the years? I'm still keeping my eyes peeled for an early Super Sport.
Old     (djmann270)      Join Date: Apr 2004       07-07-2007, 10:17 AM Reply   
Hey man, we have a CC 2001 (1989) It is a great boat. The wave is short for surfing. Even when you put 1500+#. Basically the sweat spot is small. Although you can build the wave way up. I would recommend looking for anything that is longer than 21 foot. You will be able to get a longer wave out of it.
Old     (mpincince)      Join Date: May 2007       07-09-2007, 5:09 AM Reply   
Hey, I've got a 1999 D.D. Moomba Mobius. Could'nt surf behind it with the stock ballast no matter how long the board. I just ballasted it up with auto fill bags, 2 440 pounders in the back and a 350 pounder in the front. Now the boat surfs excellently, even with just a driver and spotter. Can hop right off the ski platform onto the wake without a problem. Also with the extra ballast it produces an excellent wakeboard wake at 20 to 22 mph. Remember, an older smaller D.D. boat takes less ballast weight to set it deeper in the water and produce a decent wakesurfing wake. You just might have to install your own ballast system, but then you can customize to fit your exact needs, and probably save a ton of money in the long run. Love my Moomba. Hope this helps.
Old     (goodfoot00)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-09-2007, 11:16 AM Reply   
I haven't surfed behind it, but the older CC Martiniques have to have a killer surf wake. It has deep V with tall sides, able to hold a lot of weight. I think that's the key to a big wave. The earlier models are just like the barefoot nautiques, but the later years they changed. I would check them out before making a decision.
Old     (robo)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-10-2007, 5:01 PM Reply   
Thanks guys. Ahh, the Martiniques. I posted over at the CC fan site and asked the question, but didn't get an answer. Hey, any of you Wakeworld surfers out there got an answer for us? When was that change Scott, around 85? I'm stretching my memory here.
Old     (b8b)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-12-2007, 11:13 PM Reply   
Hey all, this is really helpful information, I have spent tens of hours trying to figure out an affordable solution to generate the nicest wake for surfing yet still have a decent and reliable boat. If anyone else has any experience and/or suggestions, please keep them coming. Thanks!! :-)b8b
Old     (robo)      Join Date: Jul 2007       07-15-2007, 4:49 PM Reply   
This is cut and pasted from an email sent to the guys at CC. I'm not doubting his statement, I'm just waiting for some first hand 411. I think these Martiniques are definitely worth looking into, they're CC's and open bow, with prices well under 10k. I might start a Martiniqe thread if no one replies.

Hello Rob,

I have heard the boat will be great for wake boarding and surfing.
6 different people told me that.

We stop making the boat in 1989.

Hope this will help.
Old     (b8b)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-18-2007, 11:50 AM Reply   
So any verdict? I wanna get out there for $8-12k topps... I don't have the funds to pour into a depreciating asset, even though I do love to surf (I'd rather save for a real surf trip, Bali's next). Help a poor bloke out? :-)
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       08-20-2007, 11:22 AM Reply   
I had a Centurion Eclipse v-drive and that threw a great surf wave. The X-star owners would always want to take that one for surfing.