Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 19, 2006

Old    r3612            05-14-2006, 5:13 PM Reply   
Well I took out the pilot one gauge after my third one malfunctioned. These gauges just plain suck. Centurion doesn't even use em any more. WEll now my PP isn't reading speed.

Checked all the wiring and well this is what I"ve come up with............

Green from pp paddle wheel wiring harness attached to green of actual paddlewheel as well as the factory speedo wire (grey with black stripe)

Red from pp paddle wheel wiring harnessNOT ATTACHED tho the red from actual paddle wheel is attached to a purple power source.

Brown from pp paddle wheel wiring harness NOT ATTACHED brown from actual paddle wheel is attached to the bare from the actual paddle wheel and then BOTH TO GROUND

(So the red and brown from pp paddle wheel wiring harness are not connected and never were even when pilot one was installed. there is a sticker on them both stating boat has pilot 1 no need to use.)

White from pp paddle wheel wiring harness connected to white from actrual paddle wheel.

I would assume the problem is somewhere within the green wires as that gives the speed reading according to manual, but hey......I'm an amature

Like I said my factory speedo is working so paddle wheel works, but no speed reading on the pp. Any info would be appreciated. Thought it be an easy fix. Cut out the Pilot one and re attatch SO MUCH FOR THAT
Old     (uga33)      Join Date: Jul 2003       05-15-2006, 6:10 AM Reply   
I have a diagram from Centurion at home that showed me how to wire PP when I installed it on mine. It sounds like your PP was reading off your Pilot 1. PP should be reading off your speedo. I can't remember the wire colors but I think it was green. It is a little "jumper wire" that attaches to your speedo from PP. I'll see if I can't find the diagram tonight.
Old    r3612            05-15-2006, 6:41 AM Reply   
Would def appreciate the help.It's driving me mad ARGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH

MY e-mail is kjr3612@yahoo.com
Old    r3612            05-15-2006, 7:18 AM Reply   
WELL after a headache aand a half driving me nuts got it figured out.

The Centurions and a couple other companies use a diode/jumper in order to boost the signal so that the pp can pick it up. The diode runs on the green wire so that is speed signal. That diode was attached in the jumbled wiring of the Pilot 1 so never even saw it or knew about it (as it's a Centurion thing)......Cut that out put it inline and viola.....the diode also needs to be run a certain way as it boosts the signal so had to figure out which way and NOW NO PROBLEM!

Must give huge thanks to pp as their customer service again(3rd time with issues first two just defects) is probably number 1 in the industry. Always very helpful and stand behind their product. FIRST CLASS
Old     (uga33)      Join Date: Jul 2003       05-15-2006, 9:46 AM Reply   
Problem fixed?
Old    r3612            05-15-2006, 11:06 AM Reply   
YUP !
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-15-2006, 2:10 PM Reply   
When you get to the 3 device running off the same paddle wheel you need the diode.
Old    r3612            05-15-2006, 6:22 PM Reply   
Makes sense.....but why don't other mfg's need it? Not trying to to be a J&*&&off just curious.
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-15-2006, 6:32 PM Reply   
Well did other manufatures have 3 devices using one paddle wheel? Centurion only used it when a boat had a speedo pilot 1 and PP

Old    r3612            05-15-2006, 8:17 PM Reply   
I know bu's have 2 plus pp and so did the older Mc's. But I did try and eliminate my boat speedo as well. (so just had pp hooked up and still didn't work)

Also I eliminated the pilot 1 so if that was the case then it should have worked...no? Like I said just trying to figure the whole thing out as it consumed me and gave me a headache for the past two days :-)

I think it's just the paddle wheel that faria uses. I know its the same mfg as the pp one (different model) but the other company they gave me that uses this config was supreme...they use same faria pilot 1 gauge and paddle wheel assembly.

All so very interesting and aggravating at the same time as none of the Centurion or Farai wiring diagrams ever eluded to/or showed this. PP was the one who e-mailed me the diagram with the jumper diode.

(Message edited by r3612 on May 15, 2006)
Old     (krbaugh)      Join Date: Mar 2002       05-15-2006, 9:34 PM Reply   
I have no idea about that BU or MC but I would think if they actually had 3 seperate devices not 2 devices and 3 displays they would need the diode. Unless it is the Pilot 1 that is the issue.
Clarks ran acrros the issue when adding pp to a few boats.

Old    r3612            05-16-2006, 5:49 AM Reply   
Hmmmm! makes sense for sure