Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 29, 2007

Old     (clearlakescott)      Join Date: Apr 2007       10-31-2007, 8:28 PM Reply   
A few friends and I went for dinner after the AST Dew Tour stop in Orlando. We ran into Murray, Josh Sanders and the lovely ladies with them! My buddy did the sorry to bother you bit and they were so nice and talked for a couple minutes. We all ate and on the way out they stopped by our table and talk again for about 10min like they sincerely cared! Murray has always been my favorite rider because of his style and we are from the same place but that really cemented why he is the true ambassador of the sport! that conversation made want to go buy some of his stuff just to support him and I still will but I also thought a shameless plug couldn't hurt. Thanks Murray for staying grounded!
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       10-31-2007, 8:54 PM Reply   
He is and always has been a class act, a credit to the sport.
Old     (liquidmalibu)      Join Date: Sep 2007       10-31-2007, 8:57 PM Reply   
Props to Sanders as well.
When he hosted the first Australian Open he had a party at his house after. we chatted to him that day and he invited us to come along. he had plenty of time for us all whilst running a contest.
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       11-01-2007, 4:32 AM Reply   
Met him and Sanders down at Nationals in Kenosha this summer, great guys, more than happy to kick it and talk w/ some random dudes for a while. Real stand up guys. fersure.
Old     (fuller313)      Join Date: Oct 2006       11-01-2007, 6:46 AM Reply   
I met Murray at the Phoenix boat show in 96 I believe. We hung out for over an hour doing a trampoline session. He is so good for our sport.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       11-01-2007, 7:58 AM Reply   
My buddy and I played video games NEXT to Murray on a tour stop like 7 or more years ago. We were too nervous to say anything to him so we just kept playing in the video game truck next to where he was playing by himself.

To this day we always tell about our buddies about the time we spent hanging out "with" Shaun Murray! We were dorks.
Old     (kal_dude)      Join Date: Apr 2006       11-01-2007, 8:51 AM Reply   
i have met him and some of the other pros a few times, and they are ALWAYS very down to earth and sincere! AWESOME guys!!! they make me proud to be a wakeboarder!!
Old     (cavlxenvy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       11-01-2007, 9:16 AM Reply   
Murray rocks. I usually leave those guys alone but I ran into him and Harf at the Fox photo shoot out here a couple years back. I was on a boat demo and he approached me which was cool.

Get this... I had to show these girls (mom just bought them a new Malibu Wakesetter VLX) how to run their boat. He asked if he could get a pull and they told him no!

My jaw dropped. Harf was on board for it too and they denied them.
Old     (curtisco24)      Join Date: Dec 2005       11-01-2007, 9:43 AM Reply   
I have talked with murray a few times at different events and I will have to agree that he is a super nice guy.
Old     (wakemann)      Join Date: Apr 2006       11-01-2007, 10:52 AM Reply   
I have to agree with everyone, Murray is a class act. Meet him at a few events and he was always gracious. I knew in once instance he was due to be some where and he made sure that he meet and spoke with anyone who was waiting to meet him and it wasn’t just the “Hi and By” type of conversation. I think it means a lot and is a great influence on the younger kids to see someone in the sport doing what they love and sharing their experiences. Yes it’s a job but I think with Murray it’s a whole lot more.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       11-01-2007, 11:05 AM Reply   
I have never had the chance to meet Shaun but I have met Rusty and he was a really cool guy to chat with as well. It's good to see and meet people that aren't high on themselves. It gives great representation to the sport....more people need to be like that in the world.
Old     (surf22)      Join Date: Oct 2007       11-01-2007, 12:54 PM Reply   
its cause they dont negotiate 40 million dollar contracts versus 45 million dollar ones and go on strike because of it...that's why they are all true pros and class acts! "superstar" athletes can suck it. athletes like murray and all the other guys in any sport do what they do because they truly love it and want to advance the sport are the real icons.
Old     (digg311)      Join Date: Sep 2007       11-01-2007, 1:31 PM Reply   
About 7 years ago, back when Boardstock was still at Shasta, I had a great experience meeting Murray. I was on shore behind a row of houseboats and saw a friend cruising by in his MasterCraft. In order to catch his attention (and a ride), I ran onto one of the houseboats... along the outside walkway to the back deck and yelled at him. As he pulled the boat over, I apologized to the two guys sitting on that back deck, playing guitar and enjoying the morning. That's when I realized one of them was Shaun Murray himself. I expected him to be mad and really, he had every right to be, but he wasn't. He was as cool as ever... allowing me and all my friends to use his houseboat as a dock while boarding my friends MC... and then even playing a little song on his guitar while we videotaped as a birthday gift to my friend's son who wasn't there.

Murray is a real class act.

(Message edited by digg311 on November 01, 2007)
Old     (bbking)      Join Date: Dec 2006       11-01-2007, 1:44 PM Reply   
Ryan, i think that is the only moment you can slap a woman! lol
Old     (rc005)      Join Date: Dec 2006       11-01-2007, 7:24 PM Reply   
^^ it would be legal too.. the judge im sure would underestand..
Old    sealyon.net            11-02-2007, 7:04 AM Reply   
My wife and I met Shaun at expo this year. He is a supper nice guy. He's like the M.Jordan of wakeboarding. I have great respect for what he stands for. Thanks again Shaun!
Upload
Old     (jon4pres)      Join Date: May 2004       11-02-2007, 7:20 AM Reply   
I saw Shaun once at a boat show and did not go bother him. Later I had a little coversation with him via email. I still regret not going over and talking to the guy.

If you have not read the article in the Standerd about Shaun you must check it out. I think it was the 2nd issue.

Great guy for being so accessable. He also has a pretty cool message as you can tell from the autograph above.
Old     (cavlxenvy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       11-02-2007, 9:12 AM Reply   
Well sadly enough, I think these girls may have either been used to that sort of thing or really into it.
Old    sealyon.net            11-02-2007, 10:54 AM Reply   
Jon, is there a web site.
Old     (clay_fraley)      Join Date: Jul 2006       11-02-2007, 8:34 PM Reply   
Ive met Shaun multiple time, and I can honestly say that Ive never met a person that loves the sport and his job as much as he does! hes so fun to be around
Old    murrayair            11-02-2007, 10:52 PM Reply   
Shaun is the reason that I got into wakeboarding. I saw detention when I was 13 or so and thought "I really want to try that!". He is a perfect example of how a pro athelete in any sport should act.
Old     (h2oterroristo)      Join Date: Apr 2006       11-03-2007, 1:23 AM Reply   
Murray gave me a hug last month and I only knew him for an hour. Made my year.

Srsly.
Old     (driving)      Join Date: Jan 2003       11-03-2007, 11:07 AM Reply   
Ok, so Murray is a good guy, I get it. But, you guys don't know the half of it. Sure I like hanging out with him, but sometimes can be the "farty" kid. If you see that guy eating ice cream...steer clear. His lactose intolerance can become a problem, even in a boat that is moving at 25mph. Really, it's bad!

Other than that I guess he's ok.
Old     (aubuchon03)      Join Date: May 2007       11-03-2007, 2:32 PM Reply   
I grew up in his (old) hometown. Have had the honor of running into him a few times throughout the years - always super nice. One time I was trying to get my girlfriend on the back of his boat so she could see him ride - but it was full of little rippers. As we sat to watch him ride on our home lake - he cut out to where we were- pointed and waived. Totally made my girlfriends day! Now she only will ride his boards- good marketing Shaun.
Old     (gene3x)      Join Date: Apr 2005 Location: Dallas , TX       11-04-2007, 2:18 PM Reply   
Clint I am pretty sure he is not bi like yourself.
But I should have known you tried to sexually assault him like you do everyone.
Old     (clearlakescott)      Join Date: Apr 2007       11-04-2007, 2:40 PM Reply   
Travis that is so funny. Friends always have the best dirt on you.
Old     (gti2lo)      Join Date: Nov 2005       11-04-2007, 5:46 PM Reply   
So I am visiting the boarding school thursday... I should keep in the back of my mind if Shaun has dairy products to sit up wind....

Now if your being pulled behind the boat.. say 75'.... can't you still smell it? lol
Old     (wakeripper)      Join Date: Oct 2002       11-05-2007, 3:36 PM Reply   
Defintely one of the greatest guys out there. I met him years ago at one of the Wakesports contests....years later at the Nautique games at Elsinore i walked up and said hi to him and the standard..."you probably don't remember me but"... funny part is he remembered the wakesports contest and furthermore was asking me how the backroll was coming along as he had given me some pointers....great ambassador for the sport
Old     (rnopr8)      Join Date: Apr 2005       11-05-2007, 7:53 PM Reply   
OK Travis....you're pretty cool too!!!
Old     (ronnyboy27)      Join Date: Nov 2005       11-08-2007, 9:50 AM Reply   
Travis has to have the coolest job on earth!
Old     (mucktoerider)      Join Date: Jan 2007       11-08-2007, 4:45 PM Reply   
Shaun is a great guy. Met him a few times. Like everyone is saying he is a stand up guy that will talk with you and not snub you off. Plus I like the fact that he is a strong Christian and does not hide the fact. Props to his good friend and neighbor Gerry Nunn. He is super nice too. I can truly see why they are great friends and great Christians. Great examples on what athletes should be like. Props to Shaun and Gerry's wives....they are totally nice too. Travis...drive faster dude when he lets one go...makes sure the fowl order travels downwind....
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       11-08-2007, 6:53 PM Reply   
If you ever get the oppertunity to attend a tour event, make a point to attend Shaun's Wake Church on Sunday mornings. Shaun, Gerry, Emily do a wonderful job, very inspiring & you might be suprised how many Pro's are in attendance.