Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (stang_killa_ss)      Join Date: Jan 2010       05-15-2011, 11:14 AM Reply   
obviously polishing compound always leaves the surface hazy and not a mirror shine.

any suggestions on what to use next to get the mirror shine back?
kicker is i need something i can get locally at O'reilly, advanced, auto zone etc within the next hour, i have to finish this up tonight.

thanks!
Old     (Jeff)      Join Date: May 2010       05-15-2011, 11:25 AM Reply   
I like meguiar's tech wax for the car and the boat. It does better at keeping the water spots and stains on the hull than any marine wax that I've tried.

It's not labeled for use on fiberglass/gelcoat but someone on another forum contacted meguiar's about use on boats. They said it was suitable but they just don't label it that way because they don't want it to compete with their marine products.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-15-2011, 11:59 AM Reply   
When I find something better than collinite fleet paste wax ill let you know. Best I've found.
Old     (stang_killa_ss)      Join Date: Jan 2010       05-15-2011, 12:16 PM Reply   
Jeff im not really looking for a waterspot or bead up wax. im needing a wax that will actually polish. ie to get rid of the tiny scratches the polishing compound leave making the surface look like you just breathed on glasses. ie its hazzy with millions of tiny scratches. i need to buff the finish back to a mirror.

i tried ICE liquid polish i had on had, it was useless. i tried some ICE liquid clay bar. it was allitle better but would have taken like 10-20 buff sessions. it just wasnt strong enough.

Last edited by stang_killa_ss; 05-15-2011 at 12:21 PM.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-15-2011, 12:30 PM Reply   
Are you using something like 3m finesse it? If not that is supposed to be the final step before wax. Need to use that or similar after polishing compound. It's a straight polish made to bring back mirror finish and fix what you are describing. There is a marine blend.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       05-15-2011, 12:31 PM Reply   
If its got haze then you need a polish not a wax. Wax does not get ride of micro scratches. You need a light polish like magiuers mirror glaze, followed by a wax. Two steps I'm afraid.
Old     (stang_killa_ss)      Join Date: Jan 2010       05-15-2011, 1:02 PM Reply   
yeah thats what i need. a final polish to get rid of the micro scratches left from the polishing compound.
mag mirror glaze. ill look for that. probly the most expensive one there lol
Old     (slowwwflowww)      Join Date: Mar 2011       05-15-2011, 1:21 PM Reply   
Best product you can get for that is called Liquid Glass.Auto Zone carries it.It will give the finish a prizm effect nothing can compare to the shine,clear,rock hard layer of carbon based polsh.Will provide a lifelong layer of protection with additional coats.I use it on my polished tower and boat.I love to sit and just look at it .People compliment me on how unbelievably shiney it looks.Google it and read up on it.Good luck!!
Old     (slowwwflowww)      Join Date: Mar 2011       05-15-2011, 1:53 PM Reply   
BTW stay away from waxes they don't last long and have a dulling effect.Liquid Glass is not a wax..
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       05-15-2011, 3:56 PM Reply   
This is a great thread
http://www.sailnet.com/forums/gear-m...olish-wax.html
Old     (brycejb328)      Join Date: Aug 2009       05-15-2011, 7:29 PM Reply   
depending on how abrasize of a compound/pad you used to begin with, you might be looking at 2-3 more steps before any wax. For example... medium cut, fine cut, glaze/swirl remover. When making big jumps in compound grit you will always leave behind the deepest scratches from the more abrasive compound you started with. Most compounds will list a grit they were designed to remove. 3M super duty= 1000 grit wet sanding scratches, finesse it= 1200 grit scratches, then do a glazing compound (maybe not nessecary on certain colors, but makes a big diff on black). Of course use a less abrasive pad as you get closer to your final application.