Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 24, 2009

Old     (scotf)      Join Date: Aug 2009       08-07-2009, 11:15 AM Reply   
I think The System 2.0 is the future of wakeboarding. I think there needs to be one in MI.
Old     (party_foul)      Join Date: Jun 2009       08-07-2009, 11:23 AM Reply   
Buy it.
Old     (scotf)      Join Date: Aug 2009       08-07-2009, 12:06 PM Reply   
Actually I think I am going to. I am running a wake camp in fl right now but i grew up in Grand Rapids. Hopefully you will be hearing the official word as to when it will be up and where. Targeting next May/June.
Old     (bakenwake)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-07-2009, 6:55 PM Reply   
what camp are you runing in fl?
Old     (texastbird)      Join Date: May 2003       08-07-2009, 7:45 PM Reply   
Pretty short season in Mich. Good luck with it!
Old     (ghettofab)      Join Date: Aug 2008       08-07-2009, 8:19 PM Reply   
system 2.0 = wakeboarding in the future not the future but it is wakeboarding
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       08-07-2009, 8:32 PM Reply   
how much is it? ive heard a bunch of different numbers.
Old     (jdwake1)      Join Date: Sep 2007       08-07-2009, 8:36 PM Reply   
20$ a hour at the projects and trust me you will be beat after ten minutes on that thing, I went with 3 other people and split two hours 4 ways and we all died. Btw we all ride cable everyday so our stamina is pretty high...
Old     (dadthedriver)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-07-2009, 8:40 PM Reply   
$30,000
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       08-07-2009, 8:47 PM Reply   
o okay. i heard it was way more then that. im not looks to put one in or ride one. i was just curious. it got brought up while winching 2 nights ago
Old     (joe_crawley)      Join Date: Jan 2007       08-07-2009, 9:05 PM Reply   
"Pretty short season in Mich."

We've gotten 7 months the last few years no problem, april-october, trunking may-october
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       08-08-2009, 8:46 AM Reply   
Wisconsin has a system 2.... MI isn't any shorter of a season, I love it!

Here an hour is $25 and honestly, even after riding it maybe like 6 times this summer I still can only ride for like 25/30 min max.
Old     (reuben)      Join Date: Oct 2008       08-08-2009, 6:36 PM Reply   
The sickest system!!you wont regret getting one!!
Old    d_fresh            08-09-2009, 5:22 AM Reply   
So Nick, how does it work out. Do you get a certain amount of time alotted per pull, so that others aren't waiting forever to get on the cable? Also, does anyone know what it costs to dig a pond?
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       08-09-2009, 9:35 AM Reply   
They let like 4 people on it per hour... first guy starts, rides til he is tired/ his little piece is up.... then the next goes, next next, etc etc etc.

It it nice because you'll fall, the cable picks you up and you keep going, so like 10 min of riding is actually 10 min of riding and you'll be beat.

The most I've been on there with at once was me and 2 others, 3 total... and it was plenty of riding, we didn't even fill the hour up.... It honestly is a crazy tiring thing.

... the pond at Nordic Mountain dig was also their snowmaking pond (its at a ski hill) was ~100k. That was with but if you know guys who can run heavy equip. it could be done a lot cheaper, and I think like 10/15k of it was a liner for the pond.... and from they way it sounds is that digging a new pond is easier than changing an existing pond in the DNR's eyes.
Old     (scotf)      Join Date: Aug 2009       08-10-2009, 11:28 AM Reply   
Meeting with Pat and matt went good at the projects. They are the only people you can buy it from. Hopefully Going to be putting it at placid waters ski community in allendale. and also doing Winter Flat land Snowboard comps/ Demos around MI... Ohh yeah.. I run the orlando wake park in east orlando. Check it out if you want. orlandowakepark.com ... sites still under construction.
Old     (chaser)      Join Date: Sep 2006       08-10-2009, 12:57 PM Reply   
As far as digging a pond, you could find out if there are any major construction projects in your area. Many times they'll pay you to take your fill if it's decent fill and in the right location.
Old     (wakebums)      Join Date: May 2006       08-10-2009, 1:36 PM Reply   
My brother has a excavation company and he has on many occasions made a pond and paid for everything to have it dug just for the fill dirt! Well, in our area its clay, but just last year he made a huge 4 acre pond for a guy for free.. He just took the dirt for a building pad that he was making across town..
Old     (teamihs)      Join Date: Sep 2007       08-11-2009, 7:22 PM Reply   
yesssss! been trying to get one of these in the area for a while. GR would be a perfect location. and its my hometown. placid waters is tight already and would be sick if it had some rails . definitely very interested! if you need any help let me know. ryan.z.bezemek@wmich.edu
Old     (dizzyj)      Join Date: Jul 2003       08-12-2009, 9:53 AM Reply   
how do you think the carrier switches from one cable to the other?
Old     (texastbird)      Join Date: May 2003       08-12-2009, 9:58 AM Reply   
"how do you think the carrier switches from one cable to the other?"

It doesn't - the operator changes the direction the motor is pulling the carrier.
Old     (big_poppa_pump)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-12-2009, 2:15 PM Reply   
I think there needs to be one of these on Tempe Town lake.
Old     (fullonsalesgrp)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-12-2009, 2:34 PM Reply   
Scot the BAttle Creek peeps would be down for any help you need. Of coarse we would be paid in riding time .LOL
Old     (bakenwake)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-12-2009, 2:41 PM Reply   
i would throw down some money if your serious so let me know what your plans are
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-12-2009, 5:56 PM Reply   
I would be happy to host an event with the system. Perhaps in conjunction with a waterski pro event to get even more people involved. Both boat and cable in the same day at the same location. I think it would be great!
Old     (cheesydog)      Join Date: Mar 2009       08-12-2009, 6:40 PM Reply   
We have a potential to set one up here, just going through discussions now. Some questions though. Initially we will bring it in as an event/showcase, perhaps a rail jam with some pros. But the goal is to transition it into a commercial venture. At $20 an hour it doesnt seem to make sense, you still have to pay the operator, land lease rental potentially, insurance?

With that being said what do you think would be the best way to run it? Someone else said that you pay by the hour at the projects? Just trying to figure out how it would work. Ideally I envisage 3 separate 2.0 Systems. Ie a beginners to learn on no obstacles. An intermediate with some basic kickers and sliders, and a pro level system with crazy obstacles ala wakelab.
Old     (john211)      Join Date: Aug 2008       08-13-2009, 7:54 AM Reply   
Alright, respectfully, I disagree about what Sesitec System 2.0 means/will mean to wakeboarding.

First, at $20/$25 an hour, the money doesn't seem to work. But I may be wrong, in slack times, automatic car washes can't be doing much more than that.

The real lack of appeal to me is, I can expect to be done in for the day after 15-25 minutes? And then where do I find myself, climbing out a muddy shore of a muddy pond?

To me, some days there's more pleasure in the boating than the wakeboarding (some days reverse, but some days not).
Old     (cheesydog)      Join Date: Mar 2009       08-13-2009, 9:08 PM Reply   
Well to counter those points look at from a boat point of view.

Instead of hiring a boat you hire the sys 2.0 Now just like boat only one person can go at a time, but the other crew obviously watch the rider, chat and whatever.

I think the advantage is that now the rest of the crew isnt confined to the boat, maybe they want to hit a nearby tramp and warm up. Maybe theyre taking pictures. Maybe they're hanging at the bar situated right next to the 2.0 system. The beauty in my mind of the 2.0 is that you can put a lot of auxillary activities right next to it.

I do agree about the price though, I would most definitely charge a lot more than $20. A boat set on a X-star here costs about $150 on the weekend as comparison.
Old     (nautiques210)      Join Date: Dec 2008       08-14-2009, 6:02 AM Reply   
$150 for a pull?!!!!
Old     (wkbrdr)      Join Date: Jan 2006       08-14-2009, 9:57 AM Reply   
Im seriously trying to find some investors for a cable park...I have a few idea, and a perfect location...

Just looking for people to believe in it!
Old    d_fresh            08-14-2009, 10:39 AM Reply   
MJW, Have you done a business plan? Have you determined the return on investment?
Old     (wkbrdr)      Join Date: Jan 2006       08-14-2009, 10:43 AM Reply   
for the most part, a few options come in, I have a few things I'm still investigating...

ROI is Surprisingly quick depending on the options I would go with...
Old     (bakenwake)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-14-2009, 1:52 PM Reply   
where is the perfect location?
Old     (jdwake1)      Join Date: Sep 2007       08-14-2009, 9:13 PM Reply   
If anyone wants to see this thing in action here is a video I just got done editing from the projects. This is my first edit ever so be harsh if you want!
Old     (eviltweak)      Join Date: Jun 2008       08-15-2009, 9:33 AM Reply   
my question is if someone already owned land with a suitable pond why wouldn't they just buy a 2.0 and have a core group of riders ride it? i mean you spend more then 30k on a wake boat why not?
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       08-15-2009, 11:52 AM Reply   
^ you need 3-stage power, not many people have it.... or you'll have to get a 3-stage generator and that'll be a few thousand more.
Old     (maleyb)      Join Date: Oct 2007       08-15-2009, 12:59 PM Reply   
Nick,

I've been looking into opening one of these in Indianapolis next year as well. I knew power was a big issue. Do you know a lot about those generators? Someone told me they were more like 5k. Do they break down much? Would you need to have a spare on site?

Thanks for any help,
Brad

The Ripple Surf & Board Shop
Old     (nautiques210)      Join Date: Dec 2008       08-15-2009, 1:42 PM Reply   
Open one in indy!!!!
Old     (wswb4lfe)      Join Date: Jan 2009       08-15-2009, 2:58 PM Reply   
I think Arizona needs one really badly
Old     (zoodsmak)      Join Date: Feb 2009       08-19-2009, 6:08 PM Reply   
How does a 2.0 differ from a standard cable as far as making a trip out to one. Does a typical circular cable have alot more appeal being able to ride with your friends at the same time? Can you get as many different rails in the water as a circular cable? Just trying to figure out what kind of pull something like this would have in Michigan compared to going to Wake Nation which is a 5 hour drive.

Does anyone have experience with both of these?
Old     (wkbrdr)      Join Date: Jan 2006       08-19-2009, 6:52 PM Reply   
Hey Kev,

with a cable 6 people can ride at the same time, then if one falls someone can pick up his/her spot, it can consistently run the entire time.

with a 2.0 its 1 at a time and you have to pick them back up or go back to the start, just like a boat

If I got people to invest I will be talking to action for the pro shop part of it...
Old     (zoodsmak)      Join Date: Feb 2009       08-19-2009, 7:00 PM Reply   
Right right, I'm interested in the draw a 2 pole system has vs 6. When we trip down to Wake Nation we ride all day taking small breaks of course but we're using the full day pass. When you pay $25/ hour are you riding for 15 min. and then hitting the road or are you riding for an hour, hanging out, then riding for another hour? I'm wondering if you get the same draw as a full cable if your getting warn out that much faster like Nick T stated above.

In other words are you hitting the Grand Rapids area, the entire state of Michigan, or are you getting guys from the Indiana border driving
south to wake nation and north to GR as well?
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       08-19-2009, 7:20 PM Reply   
I live close to the System 2. and have a free pass for the summer... so for me I go, ride an hour and come home.... and the one here has nothing besides the cable and a small small shack thing.... not much else to do, If you had a little area with food/drink/cables/ etc etc I think it would be more inviting to stay and ride a lot.... not that people don't do it at the one here, I'm just not around enough to see if they do or not.
Old    d_fresh            08-20-2009, 4:32 AM Reply   
I'm not sure how big the wake scene is in Lansing. But I would think that would be a great central location. Don't forget, the EAST SIDE has a dense population within the Waterford - Fenton - Brighton area consisting of tons of lakes.

The cost of the full blown cable system is around $500k + property, buildings,etc. Considering the length of our season, is it a worth while investment? Maybe having a Sesitec system is a great way to get started and see where the cable park concept in MI goes? Do you have a cable park by its self, or do you combine it with other items?

I personally am getting tired of not being able to find people to hook up with to go behind the boat because of everyones schedule. I personally think a cable park would be great! The big thing is ROI.
Old     (jdwake1)      Join Date: Sep 2007       08-20-2009, 7:40 AM Reply   
Doug they just opened one in cincinnati and it's going great for them so it can be done in the north, I say go for broke!!!
Old     (somebuddy)      Join Date: Jun 2009       08-20-2009, 9:37 AM Reply   
Whoever said Tempe Town Lake should have one is spot on. I pass that stupid lake every day and get pissed at looking at all of that glass that is wasted by rowers and kayakers.
Old    d_fresh            08-20-2009, 9:53 AM Reply   
I was considering looking into what is invovled in raised capital for a cable park. My idea was to approach the owners or managment of Alpine Valley Ski resort and see if they would be interested in generating cash during the summer. There investment would be providing a lease at a reasonable cost for the first 3 years. Also try to get all of the snowboarders into hitting the obstacles on a wakeboard. I'm quite sure that there is enough property on the south side of the resort to put a cable park. It is also easy to get to for any of the East Siders.
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-20-2009, 10:35 AM Reply   
The proposed Michigan site is at my place, Placid Waters. We are looking the the proposal now. We already have much of the needed infrastructure in place, including 3-phase power within 200-feet of the tower location.

The wakeboarding scene is plentiful and active. We have many lakes, lots of boats, and my site is one of the very few custom designed and built wakeboarding lakes in the nation.
Old     (spearing)      Join Date: Sep 2005       08-20-2009, 1:18 PM Reply   
IF.....you build it, they will come :-)
Old     (teamihs)      Join Date: Sep 2007       08-20-2009, 1:37 PM Reply   
please build it. i am for sure down for the cause and willing to help in any way possible
Old     (wkbrdr)      Join Date: Jan 2006       08-20-2009, 4:24 PM Reply   
if you got money that would help me...

Working on the business plan and pitching it to investors...

Working on a few "options"