Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 20, 2005

Old    fender            08-25-2005, 7:25 PM Reply   
Hi, I just recently started wakeboarding and love it. I'm always aching to get out because I usually don't have that many opportunities to go wakeboarding. Anyway, I was thinking about starting a wakeboarding club for my high school. Problem is, my jet boat is only 16' and I would need a larger boat (or two) to take out anything above four people (as would be necessary). So, if anyone would be willing to let us use their boat for a few weekends, that would be excellent and highly appreciated. I've been on the water my whole life, and I'm very experienced with boating and such. I know this's probably a pretty tall order, but I would greatly appreciate it if anyone could help me out. You can contact me via email or just reply to this post if your interested in helping out. Thank you.
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       08-25-2005, 7:56 PM Reply   
I would like to make another suggestion to your approach of starting a wakeboard club at your High School. Your first hurdle would be gathering enough people who will actively participate in your club. Next I would contact a boat dealer and I'm sure they would work with you in one way or another to supply you with a promo deal or something similar. I would then get to work organizing fund raisers, and other money-making activities to pay for your discounted boat, the gas, insurance, and maintenance.
Old    fender            08-25-2005, 8:15 PM Reply   
Thanks for the advice. Right now i'm just kind of seeing about possibilities for boats and whatnot. If it looks like I can get a boat or two, I was gonna ask about it once school started (29th). I had already thought about rentals for boats and other such things, but I'm thinking we might have some trouble raising enough money. I will look into this as well though. Thanks.

P.S. If someone were to take me up on lending us their boat for a few weekends, we would definatly pay for gas and other such expenses, returning it each time with a full tank.
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       08-25-2005, 8:17 PM Reply   
you'd also probably be further off asking if they would take you out on the boat. I don't know of many people that would let high school kids take their boat out for the day without them present.
Old    fender            08-25-2005, 9:30 PM Reply   
Well it would be on their terms, of course. They could certainly take us out rather than just lend us the boat. I could see how it might be unnerving letting a bunch of strangers run off with their boat.
Old    mile_high_rider            08-26-2005, 11:52 AM Reply   
no body in their right mind is going to lend their boat to a HIGH SCHOOL anything, get them to Take you out, and you might have some luck.
Old    mile_high_rider            08-26-2005, 11:53 AM Reply   
espicaly if you cant drive legaly yet.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-26-2005, 11:55 AM Reply   
in some states, legal driving age is 14. is md one of 'em?
Old     (just_board)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-26-2005, 10:16 PM Reply   
MO is one of them.
Old     (bobby_b)      Join Date: Feb 2005       08-27-2005, 11:50 AM Reply   
Yeah kid, Here's the keys to my VLX. Have fun...NOT.
Old     (wakeforce139)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-27-2005, 1:23 PM Reply   
Why are you guys being douches? He already stated he's well aware that nobody is going to let them take it out without them present, and he has also mentioned that he is aware that it is a pretty out-there request. But he would like to get other people together to form a group with an interest in wakeboarding, so he is seeing if anyone around here (a wake site) is willing to help him out. If there are clubs in high schools dedicated to people that speak spanish, then I think there should be clubs dedicate to people that want to ride and have a good time. So where is the need to be a d*ck to him coming from?
Old     (bmfb)      Join Date: Jul 2004       08-27-2005, 2:31 PM Reply   
yo fender, get a job at your local shop. that will get you many of the contacts you need to both ride, and start a club. also, try posting on the 'be a third' thread. good luck.
Old     (njskier)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-27-2005, 6:10 PM Reply   
Fender,

Where in MD are you located? Do you have a good body of water to ride? (just curious, I'm in NJ but we go to MD sometimes)
Old    fender            08-27-2005, 8:47 PM Reply   
I have my liscense, and thanks, BK. I'm located in timonium. We usually ride on the Chesapeke in Salt Peter Creek off of the Gunpowder River or Browns Creek. There are a good amount of nice creeks in the Chesapeke.