Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       04-26-2014, 9:35 AM Reply   
anyone ship a wakeboard or snowboard of late!!!!!!!!!!!wtf is going on with Linear weight shipping rates? yes that the word they used, I have always been able to ship a wakeboard for 12-25 bucks all over the US and UPS now wants 68 dollars! really thats highway robbery, thanks Obama!! im sure this is your fault as well..thats 1/3 of the board cost when shipping a used board its insane! I may have to pull all my ebay stuff off because of this new shipping rule, they look at it as 58lbs even though its 12!!WTF!

anybody have tricks for packing and another service to use to get a better rate?
Old     (nuckledragger)      Join Date: Jun 2004       04-26-2014, 11:10 AM Reply   
Check out DHL. I have had better luck with them when shipping large items. I haven't shipped anything with them recently so their rates may have gone up also.
Old     (scuba_steve)      Join Date: Oct 2013       04-26-2014, 11:23 AM Reply   
I ship out boards daily and on average I can do FedEx ground anywhere in the states for $18-$28
Old     (WakeDirt)      Join Date: Jun 2011       04-26-2014, 12:37 PM Reply   
do fed ex
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       04-26-2014, 1:49 PM Reply   
checked fedex $99!! its a normal box that is 61x18x8 and like above they have always been no more than 28 dollars? what gives?

if it can fit in one of their packaged call tubes like a golf club packaging tube than its 28 bucks but I doubt it can be crammed in that?? hmm..

Last edited by bill; 04-26-2014 at 1:52 PM.
Old     (Nordicron)      Join Date: Aug 2011       04-26-2014, 2:25 PM Reply   
Hard to believe that this is what all the online dealers have to pay! Can u imagine the business Evo would lose!
Old     (ryanw209)      Join Date: Jan 2010       04-27-2014, 10:47 AM Reply   
8" high is your problem. The normal box is only 4" high. I shipped a board once across country and it was like $25 and then 2 weeks later I went back in to ship another board about the same distance and they said it was $40. It was because the guy had put down 5" instead of 4" in height so I talked him into putting it down to 4" and the price was back on the $25 range
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       04-27-2014, 11:29 PM Reply   
If you're shipping 8" high, that's with bindings or just the board? I just got shipped a wakesurfer at the beginning of this year in a box that's about 3-4" high and paid the seller's actual shipping of like $15 from Florida to Washington by UPS.
If you're shipping with bindings, I think it would be cheaper to do a thinner box for the board and ship the bindings in a smaller box by themselves.
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       04-28-2014, 5:32 AM Reply   
no no bindings it the typical boxes that WAKEBOARDS COME IN WHEN NEW,..

BTW DHL DOESNT SHIP DOMESTICALLY ANYMORE, JUST INTERNATIONALLY..

Ill see if I can get a thinner box..
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       04-28-2014, 5:38 AM Reply   
ok I shouldn't have used the last box sent by performance ski it was unusually odd, found a box 59x19x3 and its only $22 to ship..not bad..911 averted )
Old     (williamburell)      Join Date: Sep 2011       04-28-2014, 6:32 AM Reply   
I shipped a wakeboard for like 50 insured across a few states. It also showed up chipped and screwed. Took a month for fedex to pay up and argued with me the whole time
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       04-28-2014, 6:48 AM Reply   
Try USPS, they're usually way cheaper than UPS/Fedex
Old     (dbdb)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-28-2014, 7:16 AM Reply   
Not to throw fuel on the fire or anything, but working in the shipping industry and seeing the regulations that are being poured on, I believe you will see shipping rates double in the next two years. I think everyone across the board is going to be in for a bit of a surprise.
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       04-29-2014, 5:21 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardjnky4 View Post
Try USPS, they're usually way cheaper than UPS/Fedex
im not sure usps ships large odd size boxes do they>?
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       04-29-2014, 6:24 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill View Post
im not sure usps ships large odd size boxes do they>?
sure they do. they'd do a wakeboard size box no prob. Wakesurf board would be more costly.

assuming dimensions of 58x7x18, shipping from Reno NV to Orlando FL would be $38.xx via USPS (thanks Obama!).

But that's about the biggest size you can ship at a reasonable rate. If the length dimension got to 60" you'd be at $138!

Last edited by shawndoggy; 04-29-2014 at 6:27 AM.
Old     (cjobil43)      Join Date: Dec 2013       04-29-2014, 12:20 PM Reply   
USPS allows any box to go VERY cheap using PARCEL POST. I have done it for years. usually between 20 and 30 dollars. Max weight is like 30 lbs, so not relevant for a wakeboard.

Length + girth (distance around) MUST be less than 108 inches. Girth is: height + height + width + width.

For example, a 142cm wakeboard (roughly 44cm wide) will fit in a box with a minimum length of 56 inches and a minimum width of 18 inches. If a board has 3 inches of rocker, height will need to be roughly 4 inches..

So..... NOW WE ADD! 56 inch length, PLUS 4 inch height PLUS 4 inch height PLUS 18inch width PLUS 18 inch width = 100 inches

That would even leave you 8 extra inches for bigger boards or more padding ect.

Good luck!
Old     (ryanw209)      Join Date: Jan 2010       05-04-2014, 8:19 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill View Post
no no bindings it the typical boxes that WAKEBOARDS COME IN WHEN NEW,..

BTW DHL DOESNT SHIP DOMESTICALLY ANYMORE, JUST INTERNATIONALLY..

Ill see if I can get a thinner box..

I'm guessing the box that you got was one of the ones the companies use to ship multiple boards to a shop. The standard single board box is only 4" high