Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 29, 2006

Old     (wally247)      Join Date: Jun 2006       08-03-2006, 10:18 AM Reply   
I dislocated my shoulder 3 weeks ago and it feels like it's back to normal. The family plans on taking the boat out this weekend and I'll be rather pissed if I can't wakeboard, but it's not worth another dislocation so will I be ok if I just take it easy? or should I wait a while yet?
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       08-03-2006, 10:25 AM Reply   
As soon as you start to lose it just pull your arm in and hold onto it with your other hand. I separated mine and waited 8 days, it felt good riding but hurt swimming. The whole arm overhead bit was a killer. Be careful. I ended up hurting it again later and trust me it's not worth it, my arm is killing me right now.
Old     (wally247)      Join Date: Jun 2006       08-03-2006, 10:36 AM Reply   
That's what I was thinking. I think I'll just make a few short rides first then see how I feel
Old     (wakecrzy2000)      Join Date: Apr 2004       08-03-2006, 4:24 PM Reply   
i would ride man (dont be a wuss) my motto is live to ride, ride to live
Old     (extremeisaac)      Join Date: Aug 2005       08-03-2006, 4:58 PM Reply   
ya doode.. suck it up and ride.
Old     (wally247)      Join Date: Jun 2006       08-03-2006, 5:17 PM Reply   
o shut up Mike, you want to spend another weekend in the ER with me?
Old     (ktmwakeboarder)      Join Date: Jun 2004       08-03-2006, 5:20 PM Reply   
Justs do small things to see how comfortable it is. Definitely don't push it. Its not worth re-injuring and then losing even more riding time.
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       08-04-2006, 8:37 AM Reply   
Dustin:

What did the doctor say?

In all probability your shoulder is weaker now than it was three weeks ago. Whether or not your shoulder will ever be back to "normal" will depend on if there was bone damage and if you can strengthen the ligaments.

At the very least the ligaments are loose and if you don't do the exercises to tighten them up your joint will be loose.

It is also very common for the lip of the shoulder socket to break off. When this happens the only solution is surgery.

My son went through this a couple of years ago. THe bad news is that the doctor told him that the joint was damaged and wihtout surgery it just keep dislocating again. The good news is that the subsequent dislocations weren't as traumatic as the first one and he could pop it back in by himself.

If you haven't suffered any bone damage then I would recommend a physical therapy route to strengthen the ligaments before you make matters worse.

On the other hand, in my son's case the doctor told him that he wasn't going to damage it any worse than it already was and if he didn't mind it dislocating now and then he could live with it. My son finished his senior year of high school football then had the surgery in December so that he would be good to go for wakeboarding in the spring.