Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (chaser)      Join Date: Sep 2006       08-21-2010, 2:56 PM Reply   
So I picked up a 2010 black 2500HD GMC crew cab this past Thursday. I washed it a day later because we had some rain and it got buggy from the 85 mile trip home. I noticed a couple little spots on the truck, then a couple more, then a couple more...how didn't I see these when I was buying it is what I thought? Hidden by the rain spots? Anyway, I'll put a link up to picasa, cuz I can never seem to get these photos embedded. I took it to an auto body place and they suspect these are spots that occurred during original painting. It looks like the paint didn't stick to the truck. Maybe a water or oil spot on the truck during paint process. There are about 12 spots, some worse than others. The worst ones are on the roof. Looks like something acidic ate through the paint, but autobody guy says more likely it happened during the painting. The autobody wrote up an estimate to repaint the panels that have the spots-hood, roof, drivers door, passengers door, drivers cab, drivers bed rail, passengers bed rail-$3500! Dealer is calling me back on Monday. Guess they have there own body guy they are going to talk to. They said they'd like to keep manufacturers paint on if possible. Touching up is an option, but how is that going to look on the black truck. Not sure what to think/do. Repaint a brand new truck? Settle for touch up? Ugh.
http://picasaweb.google.com/rtreptow...77827458634514
http://picasaweb.google.com/rtreptow...77829402049058
http://picasaweb.google.com/rtreptow...77829318048498
http://picasaweb.google.com/rtreptow...78999306419570
http://picasaweb.google.com/rtreptow...79003882782114
Old     (olmoomba)      Join Date: Apr 2010       08-21-2010, 3:54 PM Reply   
take it back! You just got it 2+ days ago.
Old     (chaser)      Join Date: Sep 2006       08-21-2010, 4:06 PM Reply   
I plan on going back to the dealer. But just wondering my options. Do I want a brand new truck almost completely repainted? Have them "fix" the spots. Is returning the truck even an option? I talked to the salesman today. I emailed photos. His body guy is calling me on Monday as he wasn't in on Saturday. I guess they have a body/paint shop at the dealer. It's also 85 miles from my house so it's not convenient to just stop in and have them look at it. The salesman said they would probably send a guy over with a truck to pick it up, then leave me a loaner truck to use why they check it over. I'm just wondering what my best option would be here.

Last edited by chaser; 08-21-2010 at 4:09 PM.
Old     (Jeff)      Join Date: May 2010       08-21-2010, 6:40 PM Reply   
I think that they owe you another truck. I would not allow them to repaint it.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       08-21-2010, 6:54 PM Reply   
Demand another truck. And in the future, never leave the lot until you are satisfied with what you're buying. Make them pull it inside under the lights and dry it off if its raining or pull it inside under the lights if its night time.
Old     (chaser)      Join Date: Sep 2006       08-21-2010, 9:04 PM Reply   
repainting the truck would show up in carfax too, right? Affecting the value of the truck? This is making me sick.
Old     (rsanchez)      Join Date: Jun 2010       08-22-2010, 12:59 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaser View Post
repainting the truck would show up in carfax too, right? Affecting the value of the truck? This is making me sick.
Not Normally. Take the truck back, you won't feel right about it even if they fix it I bet, at least I wouldn't. I'm not sure how long you have to return vehicles, but most states its something like 3-5 days, so I'd take it back asap so they can't hassle you. Good luck.
Old     (DealsGapCobra)      Join Date: May 2010       08-22-2010, 6:49 AM Reply   
If these spots are from poor prep, I would no be surprised if more to show up over time. Unless it was something that happed on the 85 mile drive I think the truck needs to be returned or repainted plus a check from the dealer.

Bummer.
Old     (hayes)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-22-2010, 10:09 AM Reply   
I work as a project engineer in the automotive industry (tier 1 painted polymer part supplier). From the looks of your pics, there was some kind of contaminant present in the painting process. This could be any oil based or silicone based product. I have seen it many times from the skid transfer system and motors (ie: chain oil). Demand a new truck as this is definitely a manufacturing defect.
Old     (kko13)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-22-2010, 2:55 PM Reply   
There is NFW I would keep that truck!! They would be getting me a new truck no questions asked! Dont let them fix it dont let them paint it! A different truck is the only thing I would accept. Ok maybe half my money back and I keep the truck. seriously you should get a new truck.
Old     (kko13)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-22-2010, 2:57 PM Reply   
Oh yeah Rob is right..you have a few days to take it back no matter what . I dont care how far it is take it back right away if you go past they could screw you. Dont take their word for it TAKE the truck to them and make sure they fill out some papper work. So you have proof.
Old     (chaser)      Join Date: Sep 2006       08-23-2010, 7:12 AM Reply   
Email I got from dealer this am:
I've just looked over
the photos/estimate you sent over to Scott on your 2010 GMC Sierra.
These types of spots are usually caused by either tree sap, fluid leaking
onto the vehicle during transport from the factory, or some other kind of
environmental debris that lays on the paint and is then "cooked" into it due
to the dark color of the paint. There are two ways we can deal with it: one
is we can touch it up and paint seal over the top of them, and the other is
to sand/prime/refinish each panel that has the spots like your estimate
shows. GM will take care of it at no cost to you, but we will need the truck
for 7-10 days to do the repairs. They will pay to put you in a rental while
we are doing repairs, so all we need to do is figure out when you can bring
it over to get things going.

I know Scott is off for a couple of days, but you can contact him or myself
and we can get things set up for you. Right now we are taking appointments
for the middle of September starting the week of the 13-17 if that works for
you? Let us know and we can get everything handled for you.

Thanks,
Old     (bbeach)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-23-2010, 10:52 AM Reply   
wow! First off let me say I just bought a 3yr old black tundra and I wouldn't sign any paperwork until I was happy with the polishing the body shop did on it. I sent it back 3 times! If I had bought a brand new black truck and that happened I would take that SOB back and leave them the keys... no way would I take that truck.
Old     (chaser)      Join Date: Sep 2006       08-23-2010, 1:26 PM Reply   
Well, I think I got a good dealer. Just got of the phone with one of the managers. He said they will do whatever it takes to make me happy. If I want a new one, they'll find a new one. He did say they have a top notch professional body shop on hand and would guarantee the painted panels for the life of the truck. He has been looking though and is having a hard time locating an exact match to what I have (2010 in Black). He asked if I had a second and third color choice and he will do a search for them too. Now I don't know what to do....
Old     (dukeno1)      Join Date: May 2006       08-23-2010, 3:32 PM Reply   
New truck dude....would be the only option for me, anyway.
Old     (chaser)      Join Date: Sep 2006       08-23-2010, 4:42 PM Reply   
I really wanted black, but if he can't find one...then I have to settle for a different color I guess. And I've been doing my own searching for vehicles for vehicles on autotrader. Out to a 500 mile radius and there are very few. Then I go directly to the dealer website and it's sold. Autotrader must not be up to date.
Old     (jetskiprosx)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-23-2010, 5:21 PM Reply   
If they can't find one in the next few days have them put an order in with the factory and in the meantime drive your truck like you stole it hahaha
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       08-23-2010, 5:38 PM Reply   
Take this for whats its worth but most people will only own a black truck once. They are a pain in the a$$ to keep clean and swirl marks from just basic washing...forget it. Dont get me wrong, black is one of my favorite colors...my boat is black and white but I'm just sayin.
Old     (chaser)      Join Date: Sep 2006       08-24-2010, 6:57 AM Reply   
Good info Sparky Jay. In just the few short days I've had this black truck, I'm just blown away by how much the dirt/dust/fingerprints/etc show up on these things! Even the dew from the cool evenings causes all these streaks and spots to show that never happened with my silver truck.
Old     (kylek306)      Join Date: Feb 2003       08-24-2010, 7:21 AM Reply   
I had two white trucks and loved them. Decided I would go with black because of the looks on the next one, and then went right back to another white one. They look great when they are clean, but it takes a lot to keep them that way.
Old     (bbeach)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-24-2010, 7:23 AM Reply   
I'm on my second black truck... Its all about frequency of waxing, good quality wax, and using the correct towels on it...
Old     (kko13)      Join Date: Jul 2006       08-24-2010, 11:45 AM Reply   
Sparky is right I will never ownanotherblack auto/truck tooooo much up keep. I love the look but never again. Go silver it looks goodand stays clean looking better than most colors IMPO.
Old     (jetskiprosx)      Join Date: Aug 2004       08-25-2010, 12:46 PM Reply   
Nothing wrong with black vehicles as long as you enjoy cleaning them (which I do). I wax mine jevery month and wash it at least once a week in the summer. In the winter it gets washed everyday it rains
Old     (bbeach)      Join Date: Jul 2002       08-25-2010, 8:26 PM Reply   
I'm with you Patrick! Love cleaning my black trucks!
Old     (Ian)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-01-2010, 9:39 PM Reply   
I own a Autobody repair facility in AZ. First things first. run away from black. Not only is it hard to keep clean, any dent. ding or scratch is magnified. It is a great looking color, but for someone else to own. I personally would tell the a$$hole who wrote that letter that they must think you are an idiot. Second I would want to know what product their bodyshop is spraying, ie PPG, Dupont, BASF ect. I would also what to know if they are a waterborne shop or solvent. And finally I would want their warranty in writing to read over prior to signing any repair authorization form. They should provod you with a lifetime warranty on the paintwork. And say no to any spot work, you only want full panel refinish done on each panel. Also make sure you let them knnow up front how extremelly pick you will be. Set the standard up front and you will be better off. Make sure that they replace any emblems and bodyside mouldings, over time the double sided tape that the WILL us to put them back on, WILL fail. If they don't replace them, make them put in the warranty paperwork that they will be covered. Make sure they don't tape and mask anything that can be removed. You want as close to a factory paint job as possible. And another note, you will not be getting the same "factory" paint that was applied at the factory. This is a mith. The are buying from a local supplier. GM buys in amazing bulk to the lowest bidded out of the big name brands, cand can change from month to month depending on who has the best deals. In the end you could either have another brand new truck with a time limited warranty or a new truck with a lifetime warranty. If you plan on keeping the truck more than 5 years I would have them paint it. If end the end you don't like the paint work, make them give you a new truck anyways. And watch out when they say they will pay for the rental vehicle. A lot of the time they will pay for everything except the taxes.
Sorry for the rant. PM me if you have anymore questions.
Spelling and gramatical errors are due to urethane toxins!
Old     (882001)      Join Date: Nov 2003       09-02-2010, 4:51 AM Reply   
i had one black truck, never again! always looked dirty the day after i washed it, and the ac would barely keep up with the texas summers