Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through January 18, 2008

Old     (kingskrew)      Join Date: May 2004       01-01-2008, 2:54 PM Reply   
Upload
Old     (garret_s)      Join Date: Apr 2006       01-01-2008, 3:10 PM Reply   
you know, thats how we have to roll in MO. Its really hard getting someone else to ride with.
Old     (lizrd)      Join Date: Jul 2002       01-01-2008, 4:45 PM Reply   
I would never jeopardize my dog's health/life like that. The dog is soaking wet and the guy is warm and toasty in his dry suit with gloves. In addition, the position the dog is in does not look the least bit comfortable. I'm sure they were just taking a quick, easy pull but there are too many ways this could go horribly wrong. A swimming dog would not last long in such low temperatures. I hope he was prepared with many dry towels, warm blankets and a boat heater - not for him but for Brown Sugar. It's cool to be core, and to even bring your best friend with on the boat, but responsible owners would make a different decision.
Old     (jmuthafnp)      Join Date: Feb 2006       01-01-2008, 4:45 PM Reply   
I was driving for that and not only was it cold, it was snowing. By the time we were done, we had 3 inches of ice build up on the boat.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       01-01-2008, 4:57 PM Reply   
No worries about that dog being cold. His (or her) fur is almost as waterproof as that drysuit.

My lab voluntarely goes into water that cold all the time. I have to drag her out.
Old     (captain_vilfo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       01-01-2008, 5:13 PM Reply   
That really looks like that dog is in pain hahahaha. Thats still pretty sweet how they take their dog wakeboarding, ours is too much of a coward to even hop in the water.
Old     (otown_dave)      Join Date: Dec 2007       01-01-2008, 7:32 PM Reply   
His fur might be water proof ,But I'm sure his nut aren't
Old     (rnopr8)      Join Date: Apr 2005       01-01-2008, 7:41 PM Reply   
I'm with you Lizrd....I would never do that to my dog
Old     (wakechic06)      Join Date: Jun 2005       01-01-2008, 10:08 PM Reply   
the article also called the wakeboard a ski
Old     (jpboarder)      Join Date: Jun 2007       01-01-2008, 10:12 PM Reply   
yea that does deserve a slap
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-01-2008, 10:15 PM Reply   
already the front runner for lame stunt of the year.
Old     (dlwsrider)      Join Date: Apr 2007       01-01-2008, 11:11 PM Reply   
That didnt take long.
Old     (garret_s)      Join Date: Apr 2006       01-02-2008, 12:31 AM Reply   
if by lame, you mean totally awesome, I agree.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-02-2008, 12:47 AM Reply   
no, i mean lame as it effing stupid.
Old     (jmuthafnp)      Join Date: Feb 2006       01-02-2008, 5:48 AM Reply   
Before you all continue your additional flaming of lame stunt and effing stupid, let me provide you with some additional information.

Kevin has been doing this every year for the last 20+ years or so every New Years Day in front of the Arch in St. Louis. This is a charity event with all of the proceeds going to the Missouri Disabled Water Skiers Association. This allows those folks who are or have become handicap in some manner to either share the stoke or continue the love of watersports. All of the proceeds pay for the boats and the special equipment, including wakeboards, required to get these folks on on the water.

This event generates on average around $25-50K every year from people who are stopping by to watch the insanity to major local corporations who make the donations on Kevin and his dog's behalf.

I apologize if I sound defensive and it should be noted that Kevin and I have had our differences of opinion on occasion, but I felt I needed to express my opinion on the lame effing comments.

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/news/stories.nsf/stlouiscitycounty/story/F3B5A971E18361F0862573C40016F6C4?OpenDocument
Old     (suprarider)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-02-2008, 6:31 AM Reply   
Sill not cool for his dog, they should at least donate a doggy wetsuit for him...
Old     (driving)      Join Date: Jan 2003       01-02-2008, 6:50 AM Reply   
That's what those dogs are made for. How cold do you think it is when people take their dogs duck hunting in the winter. My buddy had a black lab in college that would literally break thru the ice to run in the water for no reason. If you did that with my dog on the other hand, he would die! It's 42 right now in Orlando and he is wearing a sweater...inside.
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       01-02-2008, 7:30 AM Reply   
Is Bocce sporting a Mastercraft sweater . Travis you coming out for the Portland boat show this year?
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-02-2008, 7:51 AM Reply   

quote:

Kevin has been doing this every year for the last 20+ years or so every New Years Day in front of the Arch in St. Louis. This is a charity event with all of the proceeds going to the Missouri Disabled Water Skiers Association. This allows those folks who are or have become handicap in some manner to either share the stoke or continue the love of watersports. All of the proceeds pay for the boats and the special equipment, including wakeboards, required to get these folks on on the water.

This event generates on average around $25-50K every year from people who are stopping by to watch the insanity to major local corporations who make the donations on Kevin and his dog's behalf.

that's cool and all, but forcing the dog in that position is still lame.

travis, there's a HUGE difference between 42 degrees and 20 degrees. and that's not even factoring in the wind chill factor when the boat's pulling them AND being wet.

happy new year, travis.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       01-02-2008, 8:03 AM Reply   
Ok folks here it is:

Dogs have fur. Wind chill is the combination of wind and temperature on -- EXPOSED SKIN. I don't see any exposed skin, except for dude's face. And brown sugar doesn't look to be freezing...

And labs don't typically have joint problems, so don't start with that...
Old     (driving)      Join Date: Jan 2003       01-02-2008, 8:16 AM Reply   
I realize there is a huge difference. There is also a huge difference in a lab and an Italian Greyhound. Bocce gets cold under 70.

This thread will probably go on as some of the one's on religion! That being said...I'm out.

Randy, Shaun is coming to the show in Portand this weekend and I am coming the last weekend. If you are around stop in.

Happy New Year to all!
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-02-2008, 8:42 AM Reply   
Wheres Michael Vick when you need him?
Oh yeah, jail.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-02-2008, 8:59 AM Reply   
joe, you are right, and everyone else is wrong.
Old     (socalwakepunk)      Join Date: Dec 2002       01-02-2008, 9:14 AM Reply   
I will set aside what I know about Labs, Goldens, base my opinion solely on the picture above. The dog does not look like she is having a very good time. I would never subject my best friend to that, and I certainly would not donate anything to a charity that supports dumb stunts like this. If this guy wants to raise money for charity, he should go naked, let the dog ride in the boat.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       01-02-2008, 9:33 AM Reply   
I wouldn't do it either. but I certainly don't think PETA needs to know...
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-02-2008, 9:36 AM Reply   
Actually the dog looks like she's enjoying it more than the owner based on the facial expressions of both.
Oh and I'm Catholic and own a MC.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       01-02-2008, 9:49 AM Reply   
why does PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals) need to know
Old    mendo247            01-02-2008, 10:14 AM Reply   
IMO if the dog wanted out of that position it could easily get out of it. Anyone ever tried putting a 60-70 LB dog in a position it didnt want to be. Personally i would not do it, but as someone stated ive been in the mountains with labs and retrievers and seen them tromping throuh ice covered ponds just to swim. People do WAY worse stuff to their dogs everyday and nobody ever says anyting.

If the dog had a smile on his face would it be ok?
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       01-02-2008, 10:40 AM Reply   
Well look at this dog. Whoever forced the dog into this position is "effing lame"

Upload
Old     (rnopr8)      Join Date: Apr 2005       01-02-2008, 11:43 AM Reply   
Tackle....great perspective
Old     (lizrd)      Join Date: Jul 2002       01-02-2008, 2:08 PM Reply   
Dogs do a lot of things that aren't good for them because they don't understand the consequences. Dogs drink antifreeze, dogs eat chocolate in toxic doses, dogs run into the street, dogs play in icy water, etc. Just because a dog does it and seems to be having fun doesn't mean that it is healthy for the dog. Hypothermia and water is a lethal combination for humans and animals alike.
Old     (marvin)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-02-2008, 3:56 PM Reply   
I think it is a good idea to ride for a cause, a good way to promote the sport and have people see it in a good way. It does look uncomfortable for the dog, just the position of it. I have had labs and goldens most of my life, and I have NEVER known cold water to slow them down. I am not talking about me sending them in the water but those dogs swimming and playing in it.

With all that being said,, that is one of the dumbest looking pics I have seen in a while. Mr. Man looks like he needs to add some more fiber to the 'ol diet.
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-02-2008, 4:08 PM Reply   
That dog is obviously very unhappy and that water seems excessively cold without protection.
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-02-2008, 4:13 PM Reply   
Umali claims to be a dog advocate, yet look at this...

exibit A :

Upload

He threw his dogs in a truck, hauled them across the country, got them in an accident by driving in blizzard conditions, and to top it off... he buried the ugly little POS's in the frozen snow!

Umali a dog lover?... I don't think so!
Old     (vin)      Join Date: May 2007       01-02-2008, 4:26 PM Reply   
oh, now you did it, getm joe
Old     (marvin)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-02-2008, 6:16 PM Reply   
Upload
Old     (jinxton)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-02-2008, 7:30 PM Reply   
Way to go Cliff!!
Old     (marvin)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-02-2008, 7:40 PM Reply   
ugly little POS's = 1
frozen snow = 0
Old    mendo247            01-02-2008, 9:05 PM Reply   
Hahahahaha at that split second that little dog does look terrified lol however from other pics we all know he was having fun in the snow.

Maybe this is the case with the wakeboarding dog. How do we know it wasnt just a bad pic and he actually had a smille the whole time. The fact is none of us were there to experience it so i dont think flaming the guy is appropriate. Specially when hes spending his spare time trying to help other people which id be willing to be 99% didnt do last year!
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       01-02-2008, 9:49 PM Reply   
Looks like one unhappy dog. What idiot is stupid enough to take his dog out in water that he'd need a drysuit for? Total lack of brain cells right there. Idiot assist of the day: As they "SKI" down the mississippi.
Old     (montana_sanger)      Join Date: Nov 2007       01-02-2008, 10:34 PM Reply   
Without a doubt I can tell you all that the water didn't bother that dog one bit.I have 4 labs and hunt waterfowl on the Missouri river until mid Jan every year and its lots colder than 20 degrees.These dogs have swam 3,4 even 500 yards to retrieve a wounded bird only to sit right back down in the blind (open ground) for hours,and ride wet in jet boats at 40mph.I love my dogs,have spent thousands on them and never would put them in harms way. The only complaint you'd hear from any of mine is that even at twice a week its not enough.Nature has built a very hardy creature in these animals,and not to stir the pot, but most of you really are clueless.
Old     (wannabewakeboarder)      Join Date: Feb 2007       01-02-2008, 11:51 PM Reply   
Well Last year I went we Kevin and his crew and the dog went willingly.

This year, i pretty much pussied out and watched the bowl games
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       01-03-2008, 7:05 AM Reply   
Dave, watching a good bird dog work in conditions like that is truely amazing.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       01-03-2008, 7:55 AM Reply   
+ 1 Dave. Some people are clueless.

That poor dog! I bet he is warmer than his owner.
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       01-03-2008, 8:56 AM Reply   
the dog might be in a little uncompramizing position but i can guarantee he's warmer than that old man hangin onto the handle....

all of you cry babies worryin about the dog are totally clueless, you are all probably the same ppl that dress up your dogs and treat them better than your own kids...

i've owned labs, pointers, setters, vislias (sp), and goldens and i've seen them all happily, and when i say happily i mean happily like a kid opens presents on christmas day, swim through hundreds of yards of almost frozen and sometimes frozen water simply because they love it...
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-03-2008, 8:58 AM Reply   
and they're the same people who want to "push, grow, expand, help the sport of wakeboarding". 'That's cool and all' (which is one of the saddest statements on this board), but since it's not someone they know, or out west, and the article wasn't written to their liking, they will trash any and everything about it. This guy punishes himself, and possibly his dog (although I have labs and they don't care), to raise awareness and money to benefit others, all while wakeboarding. The dog look uncomfortable? Does a large dog ever look comfortable when they are picked up? People still do it to put them in cars. It is a newspaper article, do you think he had control of what it said? It is in STL, on the river, do you really think that many people know what wakeboarding is? No, and this is a prime example of people wanting to "grow" the sport, but only in the way they see fit, or in reality the way that best benefits them. I bet if you look down your block, you'll find plenty of dogs getting treated much worse than this pup, and for all you know he was wrapped with blankets by thousands of kids when he got out. Thank you for posting this, it's good to see someone out there doing it for more than himself, raising money for a good cause, and getting a ride in this year before the majority of the wake community did.
Old     (lftaylor)      Join Date: Mar 2006       01-03-2008, 10:04 AM Reply   
A-Dub - It is in STL, on the river, do you really think that many people know what wakeboarding is?
This is so true. My daughter in our town about an hour east of STL is featured in our paper for some of the stuff she has accomplishd several times a year. I have people coming to me many many times asking Taylor if she is the girl in the article & still asking what is wakeboarding even after the local paper dummies the article down and pretty much explains it that most of us on this board would think "are you for real". There are always several big action shot of her doing an invert or big grab and even after seeing the pic they still do NOT have a clue what it is.
Just one last piece to add last winter at our lake, the lake had a very fine layer of ice on it when Taylor kicked a rock off our dock and my sisters lab went crazy and jumped into the water to get the rock that sunk. she swam under the dock and I was about to jump literally was throwing my cell phone & billfold on ground to jump in the frozen water in jeans to get this stupid dog that was enjoying swimming under water looking for a damn rock. I had thought the cold water shocked her and she went under. Just a split second before i was going in taylor yelled here she was with the rock running back for us to throw it back in. the dog was literally barking at us scratching at the rock wanting us to throw it again. Needless to say I was so pissed thinking that my dumb a$$ about jumped in the water after her when she was enjoying it. So as stated above this 20 degree water is not harming the dog and most of you are clueless in this issue with these types of dogs. (including myself until this)
Old     (the_bug)      Join Date: May 2004       01-03-2008, 11:15 AM Reply   
Mr. Day, please do not have children.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       01-03-2008, 11:52 AM Reply   
just one more note: anyone remember the climbers on Mt. Hood?

check the breed, we're not talking about 8 lb fuzzy turds here.
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-03-2008, 2:09 PM Reply   
Cruel Ba*****s

http://www.comcast.net/providers/fan/popup.html?v=618565130&pl=618698909.xml&launchpoin t=Cover&cid=fancover&attr=default_headline&config=/config/common/fan/default.xml
Old     (jmuthafnp)      Join Date: Feb 2006       01-03-2008, 4:04 PM Reply   
Here is the link to the news coverage with Video:

http://cw11tv.trb.com/news/kplr-news-010108-03,0,5225076.story?coll=kplr-home-2
Old     (otown_dave)      Join Date: Dec 2007       01-03-2008, 4:18 PM Reply   
That puts it in a better light.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-03-2008, 5:14 PM Reply   
cliff is the same guy that thinks since he's desperate for a 3rd, he'll drag his kid out on the boat in 40 degree weather so cliff can ride. let me guess, he doesn't get cold. he loves being out on the boat. i bet you call it "father-son day," too, huh?

and please don't act like you can't distinguish the difference between my dogs playing in the snow and the pic above.

also, last i checked, there's a huge difference between a dog willing to get in cold water to hunt, and a dog being forced to ride in cold water in an awkward position.
Old     (tyboarder03)      Join Date: Nov 2003       01-03-2008, 5:30 PM Reply   
Joe- It's a lab they're water dogs... what else is there to discuss. Most labs I've ever been in contact with anyhow are as flexible as gumby, and relaxed enough to chew on their own legs.
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       01-03-2008, 6:07 PM Reply   
good enough tyler.
Old     (tyboarder03)      Join Date: Nov 2003       01-03-2008, 6:12 PM Reply   
Not sure what that means exactly... but it's a capital T in Tyler
Old     (lizrd)      Join Date: Jul 2002       01-03-2008, 7:18 PM Reply   
I will maintain that EVEN Labrador Retrievers (which I'm not sure Brown Sugar is) can suffer from hypothermia. While nothing went amiss during this charity event the potential was certainly there. Hypothermia results from a drop in core temperature and results in muscle weakness and disorientation (without ready assistance this could end in drowning). Long term impact after warming back up is potential brain damage and/or organ failure. I rarely post links but here is one that discusses hypothermia in hunting dogs. I'm glad nothing happened to Brown Sugar and I'm glad all of you who hunt with dogs provide adequate care, preparation and training to avoid this potential danger.

http://sports.espn.go.com/outdoors/hunting/columns/story?columnist=character_ben&page=sd_col_Characte r_hypothermia

Now I am going to go put some sweaters on my dogs because I feel a draft.

(Message edited by Lizrd on January 03, 2008)
Old     (wkbrd)      Join Date: Mar 2006       01-03-2008, 7:43 PM Reply   
Are you people for real??? You would have thought Kevin Day bashed the Hoffman Sisters!!!!! ******JOKING*******
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       01-03-2008, 9:10 PM Reply   
Poor taste Jim.
Old     (wkbrd)      Join Date: Mar 2006       01-03-2008, 9:31 PM Reply   
Randy it was a joke in reference to another thread that was on here months ago. I figured by the big asterics and JOKING in all caps you would get it that it was a joke about how crazy some people on this board have become. This site has turned into brand bashing and people being WAY to serious. This thread is about as ridicilious as the other mentioned.
Old     (rnopr8)      Join Date: Apr 2005       01-03-2008, 10:58 PM Reply   
lizrd...great article.
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-04-2008, 6:03 AM Reply   
He should use a Husky next time.
Old    wiz            01-04-2008, 7:05 PM Reply   
you sure can tell it's winter. everyone's pissed off with cabin fever, surfing ww, raising hell & picking fights. personally-- i think its a great thing for charity.

ps.. john, i see ur still holding it down in the stl
Old     (dooie)      Join Date: Feb 2007       01-05-2008, 4:54 PM Reply   
could you teach a monkey to wakeboard?
Old    110outlet            01-08-2008, 2:00 PM Reply   
The question is if the dog counts as a third for spoting while you ride.
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       01-08-2008, 3:02 PM Reply   
I've actually wondered that. If you trained a dog to bark, or make a signal of some sort, when the rider falls, that is no different than having a third that says "down". Of course he would have to be a pit, boxer, great dane so the DNR wouldn't question you.