Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 08, 2003

Old    jonh            06-16-2003, 9:56 PM Reply   
I have had it happen and talked to others - if you don't use your boat for 4ish weeks don't be surprized that your battery does not have enough juice to start the engine. I was going to install a battery switch. Any reason not to.

Thanks
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       06-17-2003, 1:23 AM Reply   
The only reason i can think of is it will kill your clock presets but id think youd have put a battery charger on before you went out after sitting for a month??
Old    bigd            06-17-2003, 5:11 AM Reply   
I'm putting one on this week - actually putting a 1/2/all for dual batts, but the bonus is the cutoff when the boat is sitting. Mine has died while sitting too.
Old    hockeyruss            06-17-2003, 8:40 AM Reply   
If you have an amp on your stereo, yes. If not then it shouldn't be needed. I know I have had a boat in the past that I had to run a 15 foot hot and ground to the battery from the amp, it definetly drained the battery, most car amps are made to have 1-2ft ground cables.
Old     (monstertower)      Join Date: Mar 2003       06-17-2003, 10:55 AM Reply   
Cheap insurance with a second battery, especially if you run a big amp. Search for "guest battery switch" at www.WestMarine.com and the are only about $25 for the switch.

Add a second battery and tie down kit for another $75 and you'll never miss a ride becuase of a dead battery.

Maybe it's me but boats and batteries have always had a problematic relationship.

Bill

Old    sickboy            06-17-2003, 2:19 PM Reply   
I was going to put in a second battery after my stereo install, but instead just got one of those jump packs, and keep it in the boat. I haven't had any problems yet with the battery getting drained, and I have had to jump someone else's boat. A jump pack is cheap insurance, battery switches leave too much room for human error IMO.

mb
Old     (dhcomp)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-17-2003, 3:10 PM Reply   
Or you could just disconnect the negative battery cable when your boat is being stored. Thats what we do....
Old    whitechocolate            06-17-2003, 4:26 PM Reply   
No
Old    bigd            06-17-2003, 5:38 PM Reply   
xxx

(Message edited by bigd on June 17, 2003)
Old     (gymboarder)      Join Date: Feb 2003       06-18-2003, 9:46 AM Reply   
Put one in as well as a second battery. If you run your radio a lot when your boat is just stiing there with the engin off you could find yourself with a dead batter. I personally have 2 in my boat with a perko switch, I have never had a dead battert from using the radio to much nor have I ever had to put a charger on my betteries durring storage. I would spend the extra money if I was you. There is nothing like piece of mind.
Old    skihardkore            06-18-2003, 12:13 PM Reply   
Toyota's come with one It is helpful when leaving the boat sitting for a long time.
Old     (3puttwilson)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-18-2003, 2:03 PM Reply   
We went out yesterday and my battery was dead, brand new x2 had been sitting about 4 days since last ride. Anyway I am getting a battery charger cause it sucks to be stuck like that.
On a positive note, a salesman from a fishing boat dealership roles up in a pontoon and gives me a new battery to use and tells me to bring it back to him the next day.
When I took the battery back to him, I gave him a thank you card and a gift certificate to go out and eat. I told him thanks and have dinner on me.
Old     (yeaitsmemarc)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-18-2003, 2:42 PM Reply   
For 50 bucks.. why not? It's so easy to mess up and leave a nav. light or, your stereo power on.. I've had it happen a few times, and its just an avoidable inconveniance
Old     (gunz)      Join Date: Sep 2001       06-18-2003, 6:08 PM Reply   
Sitting for 4 days and the batteries dead? Sounds like something is left on.I rolled mine out this year and it was dead,but it's four and a half years on a 3 year battery.
Wilson,thats cool you did that,very cool.
Old    wes_the_gimp            06-18-2003, 9:56 PM Reply   
What is required to add another battery? Will the other batt. still be charged up by the alt? thanx

Mark how much? and which one?
Old     (kirk)      Join Date: May 2003       06-19-2003, 7:22 AM Reply   
I have dual batts on my boat and would not go without. I have a Guest switch with 1/2/All & Off positions. I run two 900 watt amps and we have had a couple times when we have been parked at the beach with tunes cranked and lost track of time.... You know the story. Anyway, when that happens you just switch to the other battery or the ALL position. When running in the All postion, both batteries charge. I have also left something on when the boat is stored and it's nice having that juice from the extra battery when you are trying to launch and realize the battery is dead. I installed whole dual battery system in my boat for under $90 including the battery. You can find the switches and the battery boxes on ebay for CHEAP.
Old    sickboy            06-19-2003, 8:34 AM Reply   
Wes, I picked one up from Costco a year or so ago for about $60, not sure of the name. I've seen them everywhere now, look at Kragen's or Pep Boy's, or Target, etc. Should be able to pick one up for about $40 now.

mb
Old     (cinder1995)      Join Date: Aug 2002       06-19-2003, 11:12 AM Reply   
I ran toggle switches to both batteries. Had no battery problems since.
Old    wes_the_gimp            06-19-2003, 9:56 PM Reply   
Thanks, great info!

I love this site.
Old     (monstertower)      Join Date: Mar 2003       06-20-2003, 9:26 PM Reply   
With an older boat with "wiring issues" where you run a lot of goodies (Sterio, Amp, Depth Guage, GPS, 12V Blender, pumps, etc.) directly off the battery it's almost a requirement becuase you normally leave something on and the end of the day that will kill the battery.

Bill
Old     (tahoe)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-21-2003, 11:08 AM Reply   
Getting a perko switch for your batteries is good insurance if you run a lot of juice out of you stereo. Getting a jump on the lake is hard to come by.

You might want to look into getting a trickle charger for your batteries if they sit for any extended amount of time. These easiest way to ruin your batteries is to let them go completely dead.