Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through February 09, 2007

Old     (dldunn)      Join Date: Jan 2007       02-01-2007, 5:55 PM Reply   
I've been lurking here for a while now, and looking to buy a boat. I have been boarding behind an old school I/O for a few years, and really wanting a direct drive. So obviously the opinion here on the board is "buy a s/n 2001" So I found one and bought it today. It is an '82 one owner in really great condition.

Now for my questions:
Can someone explain exactly how the water pick up works? Like how does it prime itself, and are the hoses to the trans actually a pump? I'm wondering exactly what I have to do if I go to the lake now (to re-winterize). Do I somehow need to drain the pump/trans? Is there more than one drain on the block? My I/O has 2. Do I need to put anti freeze back in, and if so, which hose? Thanks in advance for any and all help....I can't wait to get this thing on the water!!
David
Old     (bremsen)      Join Date: Aug 2005       02-01-2007, 6:43 PM Reply   
Congrats on the purchase. Lets see some pics!

ok, to the ?s

-The water intake is rubber impeller pump on the front of the engine and it uses suction to prime itself. Just don't want to run it dry for any length of time. Replace 1/yr or inspect regularly.
-Hoses to the trans? to the trans cooler maybe?
-No need to re-winterize if you plan to take it out or run it regularly. We're only 6-8 weeks out from the season so as long as you drain the block and manifolds after each use you should be fine. Two drains on the block and one on each manifold. Also drain the transcooler, impeller pump and intake filter (if you have one). I think thats everything.

Check out the reference section on Correctcraftfan.com, there are manuals and such that will come in handy. Also check out the2001.com.
Old     (froese)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-01-2007, 7:04 PM Reply   
C'mon, Bremsen! You didn't mention the site!

http://www.the2001.com for all your SN 2001 needs. Sounds like you'll have a lot of questions and that's a great resource. Def. post some pics up...

There is a drain plug on either side of the block (2 total), one on the intake hose 'U' on the front of the engine (1 total), and 1 each on the back side of the black risers (larger - 2 total). It's really easy, and if you're going to get a good freeze, would be wise to drain it. At this point, no need to go through the process of anti-freeze, unless you'll be storing it for a while. Don't forget to drain the section of hose at the back side of the engine that contains the metal tranny cooler cylinder.

Put a new impeller in (cheap) and do normal automotive maintenance.

Great boat... !
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       02-01-2007, 8:31 PM Reply   
Great boat,

I think my 1983 was one of the best boats ever.

Best upgrade was the $100 points elimination kit. Next best was the 13x13 OJ supercup prop (pre ACME days). Rebuilt the carb in 1991, with a $30 kit from Napa, it ran better than new. Put a tower on it if it doesn't have one already, I recommend a Monster or Titan I.

Check out www.planetnautique.com too, good group of guys with common interests.

Did you check out the stringers?

Congrats!
Old     (ifishok)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-02-2007, 5:42 AM Reply   
Don't forget this site, lots of good information there too. I love my 89 S/N 2001, best boat I've ever owned. I came from an I/O also, and I'll never go back.

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/
Old     (dldunn)      Join Date: Jan 2007       02-02-2007, 8:37 AM Reply   
Hey guys, thanks for all the links and info. Let me get one thing straight though....no water actually in the trans?....the hoses pump the trans oil to the cooler (cylinder shaped), so I just need to drain that?

Mikeski - I checked the stringers, rock solid. I had actually bought a boat on ebay last week, and asked the guy on the phone about the stringers.....said they were solid. So I drive about 9 hours one way to south of Dallas TX, and find motor mount bolts that I could PULL OUT by hand! I was PI$$ED! 18 hours of driving for nothing. So of course I did not buy it....not as advertised. Then I find this boat like 2 hours for my house!

I'll eventually build a tower, but for now I plan on somehow fitting my homemade pole from my I/O to the nautique for...should be minor modifications if any. Where is the best place to strap the top of the pole to the front of the boat?

Here is a couple of pics from the ebay listing (haven't taken any of my own yet).
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (froese)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-02-2007, 9:53 AM Reply   
Nice! I love that diamond pattern vinyl... very 'cool' looking!

The lines running to the transmission fluid cooler are only pumping tranny fluid. I always just drain the intake hose as there are some 'U''s that can hold water...
Old     (jeffsv211)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-02-2007, 11:47 AM Reply   
Great boat. I had an '89 2001 that was immaculate. I still believe that it was the best built boat I have ever seen. It is very easy to plumb in two rule pumps (back to back reversed) into the boat using the drain plug and an elbow. Then you can run the hose to the back of the boat past the gas tank and have a fairly easy system of filling/emptying ballest bags. If you have questions let me know and I can give you more info. You generally don't want to use the lifting eye for anything other than vertical weighting. I would suggest using the straps around the bow and to the front eye. Be sure and check ALL fittings, bolts and screws on everything. I put a Monster tower on mine with tower lights and LEDs. Up front you can put a sub and amp. Good luck an enjoy (don't ever sell it).
Old     (dldunn)      Join Date: Jan 2007       02-02-2007, 5:45 PM Reply   
I took it out for a little while today. It was a little cold! Anyway she runs and handles great, and the wake looks so clean compared to what I'm used to! I can't wait to get a little weight in there and get the board in the water. Brought it back and drained everything...now I'll just be waiting for a warmer day. Thanks again for the help and links.
David
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       02-02-2007, 6:15 PM Reply   
beautiful boat! just a little weight and you've got an awesome wake. Have a good summer
Old     (famlyboader)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-02-2007, 7:37 PM Reply   
hey David,you can also take intake hose off,start motor and pour 2 gal of antifreeze in.That will take care of any freezing.Check trans for a little bit of water that may seep in if any water gets in boat,if it is milky change it -put fresh in every year.If you like to do power turns put an extra 1/4 to 1/2 qt. RIDE HARD!!
Old     (froese)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-02-2007, 10:10 PM Reply   
'...if you like to do power turns...'

hmmm... not so much good for the wake boarding.

Antifreeze will not get into the engine unless you get it hot enough to open the thermostat up - otherwise it'll just fill the risers and flow out.
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-02-2007, 10:30 PM Reply   
I dig the 2001. I dig closed bows. Damn, I must be nuts.
Old     (derby)      Join Date: Nov 2005       02-02-2007, 10:44 PM Reply   
Nice ride David. If you like I got a few great ideas for stereo/amp mounting that are completely hidden not to mention a 12" sub hiding deep up the bow.

If you lookin for a tower save your pennies and get a New Dimension Tower. I think they're 15% right now.

Tight ride. Love the upolstry
Old     (greenpinky)      Join Date: Apr 2004       02-03-2007, 5:26 AM Reply   
David, you went from a weak grounder (I/O) to a home run (2001). Nice choice!

I love old Nautiques. The 2001 is my favourite, but I couldn't find a decent one when I was shopping (a lot of these boats have been neglected for too long). They're built like absolute tanks. Nice ride!
Old     (brdn4life)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-03-2007, 9:47 AM Reply   
Yea like everyone else is saying, these boats are awesome to ride behind. I have a friend who has one exactly like your, same color even and it is almost as good as any expensive/new V-Drive i've ridden behind. Just throw a flight control tower on it and it will look awesome. Even without extra weight in the boat it throws a huge wake!
Old     (dldunn)      Join Date: Jan 2007       02-03-2007, 10:57 AM Reply   
Derby, I would appreciate any advice on where to mount the stereo equipment. Have you got any pics of your install? I have a 10" sub that I plan to put up in the bow, but I want to save as much of my storage as possible.

As far as a tower goes, I plan on designing my own eventually, and having a friend or two help me build it.
Old     (froese)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-04-2007, 4:40 AM Reply   
Stereo - I have 1 am mounted way up front on the port side against the center partition, 1 12" MTX sub in front of the observer seat, under the bow, and two amps mounted on the angled partition in front of the drivers feet.

No storage space up front... You'd have to do some pretty serious custom fiberglass work to mount a sub, amps and keep some space...
Old     (882001)      Join Date: Nov 2003       02-04-2007, 6:22 AM Reply   
[IMG]http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d80/882001/ResizeofDSC00907.jpg[/IMG]