Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (CTXxRoss)      Join Date: Apr 2013       06-25-2013, 11:02 AM Reply   
So over 4th of July weekend we're staying at PK lodge and I think they have some boat slips you can rent. I know it's not good on the hull to leave the boat in water for extended periods but is 3 days going to be something I regret doing?
Old     (cedarcreek216V)      Join Date: Aug 2011       06-25-2013, 11:12 AM Reply   
Three days will not hurt anything. We often leave ours in the water for the weekend and our dealer four years later says our boat is one of the best kept he has ever seen. Just clean it good after and give it a good wax before and you will be perfectly fine.
Old     (CTXxRoss)      Join Date: Apr 2013       06-25-2013, 11:19 AM Reply   
Ye I figured a good coat of wax will help with scum coming off easily
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       06-25-2013, 11:47 AM Reply   
just verify that your auto bilge comes on auto as it should.
Old     (Bumpass1)      Join Date: Oct 2010       06-25-2013, 11:57 AM Reply   
Mine stays in the water for a week while I'm on vacation every year. I have never had an issue.
Old     (Nordicron)      Join Date: Aug 2011       06-25-2013, 12:02 PM Reply   
3 days is only 72 hours, can't see how that could possibly hurt the boat. Like others have said make sure your bilge pump is set on auto and your batts are charged. I'd be worried about what kind of protection the boat had from the dock and all those surfers throwing giant rollers on it though.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-25-2013, 1:00 PM Reply   
I can't believe you would even think about leaving your boat in the water. Your boat will never forgive you.
Old     (CarZin)      Join Date: Feb 2011       06-25-2013, 1:11 PM Reply   
Yeah. This is a bit silly. Leaving a boat in the water for prolonged periods can cause some damage, but if your gelcoat has issues after 3 days, you need a new boat.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       06-25-2013, 1:37 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarbill View Post
I can't believe you would even think about leaving your boat in the water. Your boat will never forgive you.
Thats true.

My family boat stays in (clean, fresh) water usually from late may/june through September at times. Pull it once to clean and change the oil...

I bet its the best 1999 gelcoat/mechanical (not vinyl, needs interior in some spots) you will find in my neck of the woods with 830 hours...
Old     (Midnightv10)      Join Date: Feb 2012       06-25-2013, 1:38 PM Reply   
I leave my boat in a slip every summer for 3 to 4 months... never had a problem... I wont say I don't have to do a very thorough cleaning on it but that's about it..
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       06-25-2013, 1:50 PM Reply   
I leave mine in for 2-3 weeks every summer and it's fine. Family keeps theirs in clear fresh water for 4 months every summer for 20 years and it's fine, though that boat has a lot of dock rash from not being put on the mooring and not tied up properly. It's a boat, it'll be fine in the water for a few days. Just make sure your bilge float switch works, cover is secure, and tied up properly to dock so it won't be damaged from wind/waves.
Old     (CTXxRoss)      Join Date: Apr 2013       06-25-2013, 2:11 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarZin View Post
Yeah. This is a bit silly. Leaving a boat in the water for prolonged periods can cause some damage, but if your gelcoat has issues after 3 days, you need a new boat.
Sorry if its a dumb question.. I just don't want to do anything to hurt the boat. The slip seems to be back in a cove so it should be safe from any of the rough water out on the lake. If it is to exposed to rough water I may just pull it out every day. The gelcoat is in amazing shape so I don't want to do anything that may change that.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       06-25-2013, 3:06 PM Reply   
Just learn to tie it up. My family's boat is always kept on a mooring, so no scratches or dock rash to speak of. A good anchor would be a good investment for a weekend vs. a slip unless you are good at tying and have the right number of the correct bumpers. The right number of ropes too... don't skimp on tying the boat off and understand the angles that ropes will pull the boat from certain anchor points... I see lots of people indiscriminately use bow/stern eyes and then tether them at crazy angles...
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-25-2013, 8:15 PM Reply   
It's a boat, it's gonna be fine in the water.
Old     (Walter)      Join Date: Apr 2012       06-25-2013, 8:51 PM Reply   
Ross you're going to want to put the boat in the water at a ramp on the other side of the lake, PK lodge is clear on the other side of the lake and about 50 miles on the water to the party for the fireworks, it's doable, I've done it plenty, but the lake is 11 foot down and it may get hairy by the south east side of bloodweed, sand, and Costello islands, and it will take almost 3/4 tank of fuel to go to Hells gate and back to the lodge, hit me up and I'll show you a ramp 10 minute drive from you that is 5 minutes from the party, see you there on Thursday
Old     (CTXxRoss)      Join Date: Apr 2013       06-26-2013, 8:06 AM Reply   
Thanks Walter... It's my first time out on the lake other than just riding in someone else's boat.
Old     (cowwboy)      Join Date: Jul 2008       06-26-2013, 10:19 AM Reply   
I'll be keeping mine in the water over the 4th at texoma.
It's known for being nasty, what is a good wax to put on it to keep from having to acid wash it later this winter?
I have thought of boat blings quicky wax but not sure if it's a base wax or a between waxes wax?
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       06-26-2013, 7:16 PM Reply   
Collinite is what we use.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       06-26-2013, 8:50 PM Reply   
It's too much work to just leave it in for three days. Mine is usually in the water between 30 and 70 days at a time. No blisters or damage.
I'm definitely in the "it's a boat" camp.