Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (rex789)      Join Date: Sep 2006       02-29-2012, 3:14 PM Reply   
Hey, so I've been looking to upgrade for years and have been looking at a few Super Air Nautiques lately. I'm aiming for 2001-2003. I've been riding behind a 1988 Ski Nautique 2001 all my life and the boat just doesn't even come close to cutting it. I've been doing a lot of research about these boats but it's hard to find some stuff, especially what I'm looking for...

First, what are the factory ballast specs?

My major concern is the wake. I know the belly ballast tank is only paired with the Team Editions but I've read on a few posts on forums that people have ended up removing the tank anyways because they are able to fit a large sack that weighs much more in the belly storage space. Is this true? If this is the case, then I'm not going to really focus on finding a Team Edition.

For the rear, I've read about the wedge tanks (Team Edition) and the normal tanks. My biggest concern is the storage space available beside the engine in the storage compartments. I know for a fact that the factory ballast alone isn't going to cut it and I'm going to be adding bags back there. But I have no idea how big these compartments are and what they're capable of holding.

I'm looking to get some pics of the storage compartments in these boats so I can get a better understanding of what I'm looking at. I really appreciate anybody's help!

**Also, anyone in the Northeast looking to purchase a beautiful blue 1988 Ski Nautique 2001 that has been completely rebuilt during the spring of 2007 (including a new engine), contact me.**
Old    sperbet            02-29-2012, 4:01 PM Reply   
1) Yes it is true. Bag>Tank on a SAN.

2)Personally I'd pull the rear tanks out too. You can put 750s back there if thats what you want. Then you also get all of the storage when they're empty.

I believe factory ballast with the center tanks is about 900 #s. You can put signficantly more than that in the boat if that's what you want to do. The nice thing about the original 210 is even without a ton of extra wake it still puts out a pretty decent wake. The stock 900 will be much bigger than your 2001.

If you do start adding weight in the rear and center you'll also want to add weight to the bow.
Old    LR3w8kbrdr            02-29-2012, 4:02 PM Reply   
1988 2001 is a great yr, last yr for dual exhaust and the transmission change in 1989.

Every one I know with the Super Airs ur looking for have taken out the hard tanks and put sacks in. Thinking theyre 750s n the rear not quite full. Im sure some others will chime in.

Also look at planetnautique forum if u havent yet.
Old     (brett33)      Join Date: Apr 2011       03-01-2012, 7:09 AM Reply   
I have a 2002 Team Edition with 750s in the rear, factory center hard tank, 1100# bow bag and 300 pounds of lead. The wakeboard wake is ridiculous. When surfing i add two 400# bags that i move around, depending on rider.

2002 was the first year the Team Edition was introduced with the belly tanks. The previous posts are correct, factory ballast on a TE is ~850lbs. The non-team editions have a "ski locker" in the center, which is considerably smaller in size than the factory belly tank in the TE. Removing the belly tank is a huge PITA, that's why i just left mine alone, however it can be done.

The factory ballast on a TE with the rear wedges and some weight in the bow is more than enough for 98% of wakeboarders.

If you remove the rear hard tanks, the storage area measures 50" long x 20" wide x 20" high

This is mine with the hard tanks removed.
Sorry for the poor quality.
Attached Images

Last edited by brett33; 03-01-2012 at 7:17 AM.
Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       03-01-2012, 9:29 AM Reply   
Brett, you need to post some pics of your boat weighted while in the water. That 210 slumped would look shaweet!
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       03-01-2012, 10:22 AM Reply   
As mentioned, taking the back tanks does two great thing, it increases your storage space and allows you to put 750s in the back. My buddy (who will hopefully post here shortly) also had a custom bag made to his specs and it fills the entire center tank section. He also plumbed in an under seat sac for the bow. Add some lead up front and a 500 on the floor and the wake is incredible (super gangster even).
Old     (brhanley)      Join Date: Jun 2001       03-01-2012, 11:07 AM Reply   
The SAN wake is like the 2001 wake on steroids. Similar, but much, much bigger. The belly tank is annoying because it's only 250-300 lbs. I have yet to confirm for a newer-style 2002+ SAN that the ski locker is the same size as 2001 and prior years. The specs for the older ski lockers equate to approximately 800 lbs or so if filled completely. I think the 2002+ floors are an inch or two lower, so you lose some bag height, but the key is how far forward the locker goes past where the current tank is. Of course, you can't tell that with the tank in place.

I have always supplemented the difference with lead because I dreaded getting the locker tank out, but I may finally remove the ski locker and go with the bigger bag in its place (if I confirm the ski locker is that much bigger). So, long story short, avoid the hassle and give preference to one without a locker tank. If you get one with a locker tank, you can add the weight in other ways and in other locations (but you miss out on having it easily plumbed in and out of the way).
Old     (seth)      Join Date: Sep 2002       03-01-2012, 11:17 AM Reply   
I believe the ski locker is actually considerably larger than the belly tank. The belly tank is only 300lbs and doesnt utilize the whole ski locker. The ski locker goes all the way up to the nose of the boat and you can get at least 700lbs in there. My custom bag is 78" L x 12"H x 27"W. I like my 01 because it doesnt have the 2" lowered floor or the cooler in the bow that fits approximately 1 beer (02 and up). I get more hidden weight and dont have to cut out the cooler for the integrated nose sack. If you havent been on planetnautique yet, check it out and do a search. There are so many good installs on OG 210's.
Old     (brett33)      Join Date: Apr 2011       03-01-2012, 11:41 AM Reply   
Sorry guys, typo on my part. The locker space is in fact larger than the factory belly tank.

The cooler is a real pain, no arguing that! Cutting it out isn't much fun either.

Integrated bow sac and some lead in the front is the way to go, if possible.
Old     (superair502)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-01-2012, 1:10 PM Reply   
The 01 and 02 interior is really different just so u know. Mine is up for sale if u want me to shoot you an email with the info. It's an 01 red/white w custom ballast wetsounds 485s, upgraded alternator, sub, gps perfect pass tons more. 700hrs 22k
Old     (skelley19)      Join Date: Aug 2008       03-02-2012, 11:02 AM Reply   
Hey Mason, please send me some pics and info on your boat. I am definitely interested. skelley19@gmail.com

Thanks,
Shawn
Old     (superair502)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-02-2012, 6:24 PM Reply   
Hey man I'm not gonna be able to get to my Internet for a bit shoot me a text and I can send you some pictures and info from my phone. I can't upload them into an email. I'll be up late
Mason
502 321 9430
Old     (rex789)      Join Date: Sep 2006       03-04-2012, 9:03 PM Reply   
Thanks for all the great info guys, it's really a lot of help! So I've decided to steer towards one without a center tank, but if one comes my way then whatever.

Mason, shoot me an email, I'd like some more info and pics!

What are the differences of the interior between the '01 and '02? Is the '02 the first year of the dropped floor? And does the dropped floor add or take away space? (I'm assuming it takes away from underneath storage space, but how much?)

Has anybody used the Fly High Pro X Series Super Air Nautique Additional Ballast System?

http://www.wakemakers.com/fly-high-a...st-system.html
Old    sperbet            03-05-2012, 10:35 AM Reply   
They dropped the floor and widened out the interior with smaller gunnels. I've spent a lot of time in both, the interior size difference is negligible IMO. Storage is similar in both so I wouldn't worry about that either.

That SAN additional ballast is for the new 210s, not the original like you are looking at. My recommendation would be to pull the rear hard tanks completely and replace with 750s, use the seat bottom sack or get a custom made sac for the locker and then use either the integrated bow sack or the bow triangle for up front. Those are the basic setups in the 210s I ride behind and should get your wake pumping
Old     (superair502)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-05-2012, 8:33 PM Reply   
I second Scott that is the way to go. 2002 and up 210 interior is wider With narrower walls and the floor is lower. The good thing about the 98-01 is you have ally more room to get to the motor or v drive and I had a ton of room to install my custom ballast. Plan on ripping the factory system out and starting from scratch and alot of work. Sorry I just saw your request for info but I believe mine is sold pending an on water inspection.
Old     (rex789)      Join Date: Sep 2006       03-06-2012, 9:41 AM Reply   
A beautiful 2004 just came up for a deal that is almost too good to pass up.. whats the story on these? Much the same as '03 or different?

Would that system work with an '04?
Old    sperbet            03-06-2012, 9:47 AM Reply   
Pretty much the same as the 03. Main difference is they came with a different tower that wasn't very well received and switched back the next season.

No, that system is for the new generation 210 only. I believe 2007 and up.
Old     (brett33)      Join Date: Apr 2011       03-06-2012, 9:51 AM Reply   
silver towers, bottom portion of the tower is curved on the 2004, flush mounted ballast pick up, and dual tapered shafts for easier service.