Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through January 12, 2008

Old     (kitewake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       12-23-2007, 11:38 PM Reply   
I have a couple of questions regarding battery isolation set ups...

For reference, refer to the following diagrams:

Hellroaring Battery Isolation-Simple

Duo-Charge Battery Isolation

In both cases, they show the Alternator + going to the House/Aux Batt, then the swtich device between the House/Aux and Start battery. In other words, the House battery is prioritized -> the start battery only gets charged after the House/Aux is topped off.

1. For sport boat applications (1000W+ RMS Stereo...), shouldn't the battery priority should be reversed?

2. Also, they show the start battery doing nothing but starting, and the House/Aux battery carrying EVERYTHIN else. This is also different that I want to do. Don't I want the House/Aux Batt carrying nothing but Stereo (and maybe some Aux lights at some point), and the Start Battery running the normal stuff on the boat like it does now.

3. With the set up I assume, the Duo Charge is out, since it only passes 30A. As such, I a settling on the the Hellroaring device with remote switch.

4. FYI...I plan on using (2) 4D AGMs for the house (400 Ah total) and (1) #24 AGM for the starter (80Ah).

5. Boat is a 2000 Sanger V210 Black Scorpion Engine.

6. Stereo System Plan:
Zapco 750.2->Pair NVS Addiction Tower
Zapco 360.4->4 Polk MMC Cabin Speakers
Zapco 1100.1 or Kicker ZX1500.1->Kicker L5 or L7

7. Plan on upgrading the Alt to something like a Balmar 6 Series with a MaxCharge Regulator. Does anyone know how hard it is to adapt one of those Alts to a Mecruiser Black Scorp Engine? The largest single belt Amp is 110A. Above that (135A and 160A) Balmer goes to dual belt. Can I get away with 110 and a single belt. I dont want to have to chage all the pulleys to dual belt.

8. I also plan on installing a smart charger I can hook 115AC to charge the batteries. For this, I was looking at a ProTech1240iPlus. 1240iPlus I will switch the Hellroaring so the batteries are separate when I charge. The 1240iPlus has a balance feature which allows it to smart charge 2 separate battery banks of separate sizes. That way if they are unevenly charged when I put them on the charger, I dont have to compromise proper charge profile on one set.

Thanks in advance for any guidance....