Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-26-2012, 12:49 PM Reply   
I'm looking to add another amp and sub for my supra, how good is the SX12D. Right now my supra is set up running the stock Kenwood 12" ( which is free air, I will be biulding a box for the new one) with the same amp running the tower speakers and and the sub. I think the in boats are run off the back of the head unit. I would like to get a dedicated sub amp and switch the inboat over to the stock amp until I can save enough to buy a better tower speacker setup than the roswell light bar I have on there now.
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       03-26-2012, 1:33 PM Reply   
Blair,
I may not completely understand what you are wanting to do. It sounds like that in the end you will have just a single subwoofer and subwoofer location which I would highly recommend. Make sure it stays under the driver's helm console rather than in the port locker.
Keep this in mind. Kenwood does not make an Infinite Baffle (free-air) 12-inch subwoofer so for starters this woofer is put to task in the wrong manner. Secondly, even in the wrong application the woofer is rarely acoustically isolated front to rear. That is a major double negative so the Kenwood doesn't stand a prayer of producing in it's present installation not to mention it's not getting enough power.

David
Earmark Marine
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-26-2012, 1:42 PM Reply   
Hey Blair
Some guys up here run it and it still pounds. You do want to build a box for it for sure cause it would require an enclosure and good amp.
Just checked their site to see which sub it was and they have an amp sub package right on their site...
http://exileaudio.com/store/index.ph...package-1.html
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-26-2012, 2:14 PM Reply   
I guess I'm just trying to do it in stages and don't want to pick the wrong sub to replace the kenwood I already have. I beleive I have a KAC-8402 runing four tower speakers and a sub. If I blast more thean two songs while riding it gets to hot and shuts down. My temporary fix is add another amp for the sub and upgrade the sub in the prosses. Until I can afford diffrent tower speakers and one more amp.
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-26-2012, 2:14 PM Reply   
Thanks Tyler
Old     (brianinpdx)      Join Date: Aug 2009       03-26-2012, 2:38 PM Reply   
Blair - If you have an amp shutting down you probably have a damaged amp or a damaged subwoofer that is shorting the amplifier out and shutting it down. Even if neither of those situations where happening it still makes case for upgrading out of stock performance. What that upgrade is and how much your willing to spend on performance are going to be entirely dependent upon your budget. The SX12 / 12D are good solid woofers. When paired with the SM600.1 amplifier and mounted in a proper enclosure I'd think you'd see a night and day difference from where you are at currently.

There are 3 levels of performance within the Exile lineup. I'd characterize them like this:

SX12 - a big step beyond stock

XI12 - Uur enthusiast woofer. Bigger voice coils, unique laminate cone, increased magnet, also ships with a grill. Handles more power.

Big12 - King of the lake. This woofer will hurt ya. Aimed at a narrow part of the consumer market that wants MAX output and willing to pair with very big mono blocks.

Hope this helps.

-Brian
Exile Audio
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       03-26-2012, 2:53 PM Reply   
Blair,
Another issue I have seen with the factory set-up is a dual voice coil Kenwood subwoofer in parallel driven by a bridged amplifier. The equipment is fine but it has no chance without going into thermal protection within minutes. There is nothing wrong with upgrading or replacing your existing equipment. There are a few basic tests that will verify if you have bad product. I always like to confirm what the real issue is before casting off equipment.

David
Earmark Marine
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-26-2012, 2:54 PM Reply   
Do you have a link to some of the test I can do.
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       03-26-2012, 3:30 PM Reply   
If you have a multimeter and you are comfortable with reading voltage and DC resistance I can go over the simple procedures here with you. Or we can go over it in a PM. Your call.
You may still elect to replace some of your gear but it is great to know what the real story is beforehand.

David
Earmark Marine
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       03-26-2012, 5:39 PM Reply   
PM sent