Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (Vxmine)      Join Date: Jan 2012       02-02-2012, 6:51 PM Reply   
I learned how to wakeboard last year and have been riding about 10 times. I bought a Body glove concept 2 as my first board. Well, to me, this board rides good and I think it is a decent board for now.

However, as I get more into the sport I am noticing some of these boards are $500-$600. What difference should I expect between my $200 board and these higher end boards?

I appreciate the feedback.

James.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=30.001961,-95.747044
Old     (Anaru)      Join Date: Jan 2012       02-02-2012, 8:31 PM Reply   
Better technology gone into the board ie different grooves to help with smoother landings, or make the board quicker, more flex for grinds, edge rails or things to help with pop. I'm new at this also but u can def tell the difference between a good board or not. I'm yet to break in my new board hopefully I can this weekend or next week some time.
I've always been a believer in having good gear. If u can be the part at least look the part hahaha jks
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-02-2012, 10:12 PM Reply   
First off, don't let those prices scare you. those are prices you would pay, buying NEW and/or buying PRO MODEL boards. There are many many boards bellow that price that will provide a significant improvement. the same can be said for boots too

I don't mean no disrespect to your current board by the word "improvement." based on my own experience and others making transition I/WE can say the improved feel of having a board (and boots) made by any reputable-brand/ major-player-wakeboard-brand within the last 5 years or so is worth it!

some companies who are not major players in making boards (ie body glove, air head, etc.) make entry-level boards, packaged and ready to shred. they are are great buy for those getting into the sport, especially if not sure about how deep they will get into it.

when it comes time to upgrade:
*Demo if at all possible. ride your buddies' board(s)
*a good pair of boots that are comfortable is a hair more important than the board you ride. if you dont have good boots you wont be able to enjoy the board they are connected to.
**** get a non stretch wakeboarding specific rope (if you don't have one) the material should read "spectra" or "dyneema" - a good rope is more important than even the board and boots. after all, it is what connects you to the boat and keeps you shredding.

Welcome to the world of wakeboarding.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-02-2012, 10:23 PM Reply   
i still did not answer you question directly, sorry,

what can you expect in differences?
after looking up the board you have, the body glove concept 2. I can tell you that the first thing you will notice going to a newer board is RESPONSE and EDGING

the body glove concept has two large and fairly deep fins, one on each end in the middle.

modern boards have at least 4 shallow but long based fins, two on each end in the corners. some boards have more.
having fins in all corners puts a fin in the water at all times, providing better edging and response. these fins are also shallower but long. they will have a similar surface area as a deeper larger fin and will provide the same bite, but because they are more shallow they are more forgiving. you will be able to slide the board when you want to easier and you will be able to recover from off-balance landings better too.
Old     (jaybee)      Join Date: Aug 2007       02-03-2012, 8:53 AM Reply   
The $500 - $600 boards can be had for $200 - $300 if you find the right deal.
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       02-03-2012, 11:55 AM Reply   
You definitely going to get more "pop" on a better board, but if you put all your money into buying a murray you will not!

Last edited by joeshmoe; 02-03-2012 at 11:58 AM.
Old     (logan)      Join Date: Dec 2011       02-03-2012, 12:17 PM Reply   
The best money I've ever spent on wakeboarding was lessons. Just saying, find good deals on equipment and spend extra to learn how to ride properly it will help you progress so much faster.
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       02-03-2012, 12:54 PM Reply   
How big are you I might be selling a very lightly used Ronix 2010 Viva 140.
Old     (Anaru)      Join Date: Jan 2012       02-03-2012, 1:25 PM Reply   
I just paid 1258 for my latest setup. And that's with 180 discount they gave me. Be happy u can buy boards that cheap where u are from lol