Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (tdc_worm)      Join Date: Sep 2002       06-12-2010, 5:06 AM Reply   
I was planning on using a Zapco C2K to drive my DD 3515 in my system overhaul. I did just come across an Orion XTR 2400 however. Looking across the Zapco and Orion manuals, I notice that Zapco says to run a 200 amp fuse with the 9.0, and Orion says to run a 300 amp fuse with the XTR 2400. Looking at those figures, either the Zapco is way more efficient, or the Orion puts out a lot more power, or a combination of the two. Which would you use?

Zapco advantages:
Built in cooling fans
Size (19.5 x 8.75 x 2.375) vs Orion (25 x 10.25 x 2.25)

Orion advantages:
Cost significantly less
Increased headroom (possibly)
Old     (norcalboris)      Join Date: Jul 2009       06-12-2010, 12:09 PM Reply   
What subs are you running? What impedance?
Old     (murphy_smith)      Join Date: Dec 2005       06-12-2010, 2:57 PM Reply   
I think that Grant West and his boys use to run those Orion Amps. You better have a boat full of batteries as well. P O W E R H U N G R Y
Old     (tdc_worm)      Join Date: Sep 2002       06-12-2010, 5:54 PM Reply   
the batteries are lined up... when i saw the amp recommendation difference between the two, it got me a little concerned that heh Orion is less than efficient, hahaha..
Old     (himain10ance)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-12-2010, 6:09 PM Reply   
I have been using the zapco in my boat for 4 years and not one problem....im running 2 3510 Digital design subs
Old     (tdc_worm)      Join Date: Sep 2002       06-13-2010, 7:28 PM Reply   
cool. i am not concerned about durability...both will be fit the bill in that apartment (I assuming). i was just a little shocked about the amperage rating between the two (200 amp fuse for the Zapco and 300 amp fuse for the Orion, per the manuals), and wondering how that related to their value/output/efficiency....
Old     (chas)      Join Date: Feb 2002       06-13-2010, 9:26 PM Reply   
HIt Ryan up over at Chucktronics as he know's a lot about Zapco.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       06-13-2010, 10:11 PM Reply   
I wouldn't use either. What about strapping a pair of ARCs together? Higher efficiency means more boom in the long run...
Old     (chucktronics)      Join Date: Nov 2007       06-14-2010, 8:52 AM Reply   
Tdc-

Do you have access to a 9.0 or are you buying used , this is no longer a production amplifier . This is a D class amplifier ,so efficiency is not a problem . This is one of the first full range class D's . If you are going to build a high amount of battery storage then the orion would work well,but otherwise the Zapco or the 2 ARC's would be the more efficient choices.

I would rather see you with one large amplifier than 2 amps strapped as there are some signal phase shifts that take place when strapping amplifiers , depending on the manufacturer results will vary.

Chas- your alive!....shoot me a PM
Old     (tdc_worm)      Join Date: Sep 2002       06-14-2010, 12:46 PM Reply   
I have access to a used 9.0---i had no idea they were discontinuing them. i also have an XTR2400 (i know, i am a collector of crap), which is why i was considering that route. for batteries, i have 7 group 31 AGMs that will be dedicated to the stereo, and a Xantrex 40 amp charger to maintain them.

As for the build---a lot of it mirrors various components of the installs you have posted here. 3 Zap 1100.1s dedicate to the tower for the Prodigys and Modus. One Zap 1100.1 for the interiors. One sub amp to one 15" sub in a folded horn enclosure...
Old     (chucktronics)      Join Date: Nov 2007       06-14-2010, 1:25 PM Reply   
Tdc-

Good choices on product , if you were able to hear the carbon 210 we did with 4 orion 2400's ,I don't think you would feel it is old crap. Are you in a position to go to BBBBBBBUUUUUUMMMMMPPPP?

It' going top be a killer time!
Old     (nvsairwarrior)      Join Date: Aug 2003       06-14-2010, 2:06 PM Reply   
Wow, the part that caught my attention is the DD 3515 in a folder horn. I'm curious of the actual size of the box, and where in the boat it's going? I love the use of Pro Audio concepts in boats and the Folded Horn is incredible in terms of efficiency....but can be rather large.....5 cubes easy.
Old     (tdc_worm)      Join Date: Sep 2002       06-14-2010, 2:09 PM Reply   
nossir, i am TX...not going to make that trip, hahaha... i am probably going to end up using a 9.0 just because it has a smaller footprint...
Old     (tdc_worm)      Join Date: Sep 2002       06-14-2010, 2:12 PM Reply   
its going under the passenger dash of my 230. from an exterior dimension standpoint for the cab, i have about 6.5 cubes to burn, so we will see if we can make something like that fit...still waiting on the cab designer to send me some blueprints around the dimensions that i sent him....