Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (RYDEAZ11)      Join Date: May 2010       05-24-2010, 10:49 AM Reply   
Hey everyone wanted to get some feedback in anyway on a 2003 Calabria Pro-V. I am looking at getting a boat and originally was looking at a 2001 Wakesetter LSV or a 2000 Tige Riders Edition. But then I saw this 03 Pro V and I know nothing about these but it has half the hours of the other two and more options for the same price. ARe they any good?
Old     (RYDEAZ11)      Join Date: May 2010       05-24-2010, 11:03 AM Reply   
2001 wakesetter is a VLX not a LSV
Old     (three6ty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       05-24-2010, 11:05 AM Reply   
I have ridden in and behind a few Pro-V's. Very roomy interior but its not deep so depending on your height the seats may not be comfortable for you. The ballast fills and drains extremely quick but the stock balast is not anywhere near what is needed for a quality wake. I think the width is 102" which makes for a very wide wake as well. Wake was also rampy and you have to have good form to get some good air/ where as a lippy wake will boot you regardless of your form. I don't know what tower is on it but the older style Calabria towers are very bulky and kind of ugly.
The Tige has a really shallow draft and is much smaller in the interior than the other two boats you are looking at. It will manuver quicker and I have seen some decent wakes behind the tige ( again with extra weight ). I was also looking at a Tige Riders Ed. back in 2003 when I bought my first boat. I went and bought a Supra SSV and loved it. Bought 2 more Supras since then.
The Wakeseter LSV would be my choice in the group of boats that you have listed. Even back in 2001 malibu had some nice styling and the layout of the interior is nice. I would make sure the the LSV has the Wake hull and not the SKi Hull. It's been a while since I reseached these boats so Im not quite sure but at least in 2002-2004 they had 2 different hull's that they could put on the LSV's. The wake hull produced a lippy'er wake and the ski hull was very mild and rampy. Again this is a big boat 23' so it will take addition weight to get that wake where you want it.

For the Calabria- So in my opinion, great family boat ( cause its huge ), and a good wakeboarding boat but you will need to add weight to get your Wake to where you will like it. Big and bulky and handles like it as well. I like the simplicity and clean line of the interior but I would think anybody over 6' would feel the interior is uncomforatable.

I hope this helps and this is just my opinion and experiences.
Old     (three6ty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       05-24-2010, 11:11 AM Reply   
I just saw that it is a VLX.

Well- I have owned 2 VLX's 2003 and 2004. ( same hull as the 2001).

I Loved my VLX's best stock wake ( stock ballast w/ wedge) that I have been behind.
( not including any boats made after 2005 with 2x the stock ballast)

The only thing that kept me from buying a 2001 VLX is the lack of true wrap around seating in the back of the boat. In 2002 they changed the interior a little and made it a complete wrap around..

Boat handled like a sports car and was just plain fun to be in.
I loved my older VLX's and would not hesitate to buy another one.
Old     (wake26)      Join Date: Mar 2009       05-24-2010, 11:15 AM Reply   
My own opion is that they are great boats great fit an finish some will say that the wakes are not that good but to me it puts out a great wake, and a awsome surf wake. not many cons that I can thing of, didn't really like the tower in that year, the ballest is one of the best out there no pumps fill in less than a min. empties in 20 sec. I love my calabria would buy another one in heart beat
Old     (dbdan)      Join Date: Jun 2009       05-24-2010, 12:23 PM Reply   
I second what Jarod said. I've got a 2010 and love it. The boat is huge inside and very comfy. I'm 6'1" and don't have any issues with the seat height. Fit and finish is great. Plenty of room for friends and family.

I'm no pro, but I think the wake is great. I've got the Team-V, so it has 300lbs more ballast. I had the brother of one of my riding buddys out two weekends ago, and I had to empty all of the ballast because he was scared of the wake. They own a 2001 Malibu Sunsetter (with no wedge). And you can always add more ballast to the rear lockers and hardly lose any storage space. It seems to me anyone with a boat that was made before around 2005 adds extra ballast. How many boats came with the amount stock ballast they have now?

If you can get a demo ride behind it, you'll be better able make up your mind. Jarod and I are biased Calabria owners so you have to take what we say for what its worth...that being said, you don't find many negative comments about them.
Old     (RYDEAZ11)      Join Date: May 2010       05-24-2010, 2:28 PM Reply   
Yes I am not a big fan of the Tower it just has an awkward look to it!! But other then that it looks pretty clean. Do they use any kind of wedge system with the pro-vert system like malibu and tige do or is it just the ballast system? How many hours do you guys have on your boats and have you ran into any big repairs or anything other then the yearly service on them? Also what do you pay for the year service?
Old     (sfrider8)      Join Date: Sep 2005       05-24-2010, 5:30 PM Reply   
we have the 2003 pro-v and really like it, as far as the tower being ugly, i thnk many people might be thinking of the 2001 towers (the forward facing one, which is really ugly!!), the 2003 has the Boss tower, which i think has pretty clean lines, and is rock solid.

The depth of the seating isnt really an issue, im 6'5 and dont feel squished, but the boat is so roomy inside that maybe ive never sat upright.

We have had zero problems with ours(other then operator error).

One plus or negative that you may also want to consider the the gas pump, is a 65 gallon tank, and once its empty its pretty expensive to fill, but when full the gas tank up front acts like extra ballast, as compared to the 35-45 gallon tanks.

There is not a wedge on the 2003 and there is no adjustable wake plate, just the standard 700# of ballast, which is super nice, to empty for beginners, or fill for better(not expert) riders.

As far as driving the boat, it drives pretty much like it should, a big wide boat(not that nimble) ours seems to pull to the right for some reason as well.

i hope that answers some questions, also from an Calabria owners perspective, so take it as you will
Old     (RYDEAZ11)      Join Date: May 2010       05-24-2010, 5:46 PM Reply   
The guy just let me know that the perfect pass on it is acting funny but says it should be an easy fix....Not having delt with boat repairs how expensive could that be your think?

Thanks for the inpu Bdew
Old     (three6ty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       05-24-2010, 6:30 PM Reply   
Bdew- You can fix that pull by filing down the opposite side of the rudder. So if it pulls right you file down the Left side of the rudder. It doesnt take much. I don't know about some of the new boats today but comp. ski boats will have this so the driver can feel the pull of th boat and keep it in a straight line while driving a course. They dont want that neutral steering feeling becasue the boat will drift either way. Wake Boats dont really need it but if it bugs you it can be fixed.
Old     (hillbilly)      Join Date: Aug 2002       05-24-2010, 6:33 PM Reply   
A guy in my crew has a Pro- V not sure what year it is ? But the interior is huge compared to my Moomba LSV !

The wake is rampy and wide but you can get a decent lip when you get it loaded down right.
I have ridden the boat for the last 2 years in rotation with mine and he has never had a serious issue with it , It has better fit and finish than my Moomba that's for sure.

He has a weird issue with his pp but I don't think it is anything to do with the boat. Give it a decent look and your gut will let you know if it's right. I suggest you buy a boat you like with the colors you like because it would suck to have to pay for something you are not 100% happy with !
Old     (wake26)      Join Date: Mar 2009       05-24-2010, 6:45 PM Reply   
Brian mine is a 08 team V I have had a couple minor issues with the boat I had the chrome start flaking on one of the vents but I talk to Bob Jensen at calabria and the shipped new ones to me with in a week. but other then that it has been a great boat. Depends on what the problem is with the PP I was having troubles with mine holding speed so I upgraded to the stargazer and it is rock solid hardly varies at all. again like Bdew and Nor cal I am a calabria owner but I also did a ton of research before I bought the boat. I love how much room it has I have had 15 people in the boat and everybody had a seat and we had enough storage for everybody's stuff (they were all girls so we had a lot of stuff)
Old     (hillbilly)      Join Date: Aug 2002       05-24-2010, 6:59 PM Reply   
Actually the only down side to his boat, And again not my boat so not an issue is the open bow is really small. If you want ppl up there I don't think you can fit more than 2 adults up there.

And I need the room for a big ol fatsac in my bow.....LOL.

Another nice feature on his boat is 12 volt plugs in the lockers, So if/when you do start putting sacs in it the plugs are close by and convenient for the pumps.
Old     (dbdan)      Join Date: Jun 2009       05-24-2010, 9:57 PM Reply   
If you plan on wakesurfing, another advantage is being able to weight opposite sides of the boat quickly. I have a Fatsac in each locker and one in the walkway. Then you just fill the side of the ballast you want to surf on and presto, everyone's happy!
Old     (wakeandsnow27)      Join Date: Jun 2004       05-25-2010, 8:23 AM Reply   
I ride behind one quite a bit....(2005 I believe)

The stock wake is not huge, but it's always been plenty big for us to throw inverts, spins, etc. We have just started this season messing with added weight. Looks like it's gonna be quite a bit bigger (about 1200 more lbs added I believe), but we're still tweaking it. Pure Vert ballast system is extremely nice... super quick, super easy.

Wakesurfing wake is being dialed in now with the added weight. I dont surf, but the boat owner who does is loving the wake more and more.

As far as the interior space is concerned, it's HUGE. We can have multiple coolers on the floor, a full crew, and still have walking room. Seats are plush and comfy and have never seemed all that shallow.

Great storage, 12v in the rear lockers is very nice, upholstery seems top notch, teak platform is beautiful, tower fold easily and is sturdy... no complaints here. I believe the only problems the owner would say he's had would be the swing-able window/dash gets jammed a little, and maybe one of the gas springs on a seat went out. Nothing major!
Old     (RYDEAZ11)      Join Date: May 2010       05-25-2010, 9:48 AM Reply   
This is all good info guys It seems to have a lot of positive feedback. I am going to actually check out the boat in person on Wednesday. Do you guys recommend looking at or fo anything specific on the Calabria?
Old     (sfrider8)      Join Date: Sep 2005       05-25-2010, 11:12 AM Reply   
Just to make sure things are clear about NOR-CALabrias post, the 2003 does not have the dual ballast fill gauges, there is only one that fill and empties both sides at the same time, the dual switches became an option in 05-06(i think). One other thing i forgot to mention was that we def. needed to reprop, you may want to ask the owner what prop he has on as ive found that with a full boat, the stock prop just didn't cut it.
Old     (RYDEAZ11)      Join Date: May 2010       05-25-2010, 11:18 AM Reply   
which prop would you suggest? Good to know about the ballast fill.
Old     (dbdan)      Join Date: Jun 2009       05-25-2010, 11:56 AM Reply   
Whoops, thanks for pointing that out Bdew...I'm just used to having the two independant tanks...
Old     (RYDEAZ11)      Join Date: May 2010       05-26-2010, 9:18 AM Reply   
Also just came into the market locally is a 2005 Ski Centurion Cyclone with way low hours and same price range....Any feedback on these?