Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (kickflip_mj)      Join Date: Apr 2007       01-31-2010, 2:11 PM Reply   
So I had a 08 watson 138.. (broke)and I'm in the market for a new board. Any suggestions, and i cant afford a 2010? I was thinking about a SS recoil? They have great deals online for combo packs. i liked the pop of the Watson but it could be a tad faster. Oh and i didn't like the lyman:-)
Old     (daveronix199)      Join Date: Feb 2009       01-31-2010, 2:32 PM Reply   
2009 shane or the Hyperlite Preimer, or the ronix one... If you have a big wake the cell or viva is also fun!!
Old     (kickflip_mj)      Join Date: Apr 2007       01-31-2010, 3:20 PM Reply   
yeah i have a big wake.. i like abrupt wakes and abrupt boards.. i rode the one, and i didn't like that board at all. what about anything with flex?
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       01-31-2010, 4:48 PM Reply   
There are basically two flex board companies out there, Slingshot and Company. They each make one board with a three stage rocker ("abrupt boards").
http://www.wakeworld.com/boardguide/getboard10.asp?ProductID=4544
http://www.wakeworld.com/BoardGuide/getboard10.asp?ProductID=4559
Old     (bobenglish)      Join Date: Mar 2008       01-31-2010, 6:44 PM Reply   
Sine is also a flex board with a three stage rocker. But they are pricey.
Old     (kickflip_mj)      Join Date: Apr 2007       01-31-2010, 7:19 PM Reply   
is the recoil any faster than the Watson?
Old     (bobenglish)      Join Date: Mar 2008       01-31-2010, 8:19 PM Reply   
If you liked your Watson, try picking up an 09 Lyman. Not a flex board, but it is faster than a Watson but will have some similar ride characteristics.
Old     (kickflip_mj)      Join Date: Apr 2007       01-31-2010, 8:21 PM Reply   
yeah the lyman is just alot looser than i like, good board just really not for me. i liked the watson because of the pop and swing weight.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       01-31-2010, 10:15 PM Reply   
just a friendly reminder fellas. he didn't like the lyman all that much

Slingshot recoil is amazing. anything with flex is amazing. I have so much more fun on flex, but that is my biased opinion.
cant compare to the watson though sorry.
Old     (kickflip_mj)      Join Date: Apr 2007       01-31-2010, 11:04 PM Reply   
The recoil is something i have been looking at, i was just trying to see if its faster than the watson before i pull the trigger. Do you guys know anything about Slingshot bindings?
Old     (cheesydog)      Join Date: Mar 2009       01-31-2010, 11:28 PM Reply   
if u had the old watson, why not consider the watson hybrid? I personally love the new shape and for me combines the best elements of flex and traditional boards.
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       02-01-2010, 4:44 AM Reply   
^"and i cant afford a 2010", watson hybrid was my first thought too.
Old     (ironj32)      Join Date: Jan 2007       02-01-2010, 5:15 AM Reply   
I'd recommend trying a O'Brien Player or Decade. both boards have great pop and are fast! should be able to pic up an older model for a decent price somewhere.
Old     (kickflip_mj)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-01-2010, 10:27 AM Reply   
how much is the watson hybrid going for and do you know if it has good pop?
Old     (breakz77)      Join Date: Mar 2003       02-01-2010, 11:10 AM Reply   
Hey Michael - I think most of the flex boards will be faster than your Watson

The Watson is pretty slow in my opinion
Old     (kickflip_mj)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-01-2010, 11:20 AM Reply   
Myke D,
i think your right, on slingshot.com they have some killer deals in my budget
Old     (wakemania)      Join Date: Sep 2008       02-01-2010, 11:56 AM Reply   
If you want to go with Company, I've got an '09 142 Severance with '09 size 12 bindings. It's been ridden maybe three times. Very nice riding board, so my son says. $450 shipped.
Old     (jward10)      Join Date: Mar 2007       02-01-2010, 2:58 PM Reply   
I rode the 08 watson for 2 seasons. Cracked that board and got an 08 axis. Loved it so much I got the 09 (same shape) as a back up. Great boards and even better price. It rides the same as a watson but has a little more locked in feel.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-02-2010, 9:22 AM Reply   
Michael ImObersteg (kickflip_mj)
what questions do you have about the slingshot boots? or have you already got the info you needed and bought a setup?
Old     (tn_rider)      Join Date: Dec 2009       02-02-2010, 9:27 AM Reply   
I broke my 08 Ronix ibex and worked out a deal with ronix through a couple emails. they sent me the 09 for free. told me if i wanted to spend about 150 and wait a couple months they would send me the 2010. i opted for the 09 so i could finish the year riding. I would try that if its any help.....couldnt be happier with ronix customer service!
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       02-02-2010, 9:27 AM Reply   
The recoil is by far the most fun board I've ever been on... bar none.

Its awesome.
Old     (kickflip_mj)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-02-2010, 1:00 PM Reply   
sorry it took me so long to reply, class.

jeremy,
would you prefer the d2s or the PB floyeds? and are the boots true to size.. i have an 11.5 foot.

Nick,
i know you have the recoil, can you get as much pop on it as a normal board? because all the videos i really see no one is really boosting huge on one, or is that just what i have seen?
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       02-02-2010, 1:09 PM Reply   
same pop is easier than an old board, and when you want you can boooost... it just takes like 2/3 sets to figure out how to load it up right.

It honestly makes going straight up and down easy and when you're just messing around its fun fun fun fun
Old     (kickflip_mj)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-02-2010, 1:12 PM Reply   
is there good speed with the board? with my Watson it just seemed to lack a little bit of speed,
what size would you recomend? im 170 5'11. i previously rode a 138
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       02-02-2010, 1:14 PM Reply   
I would go 142...it'll feel smaller than your 138, they are light and almost no swing weight.

Its pretty fast... the base (09+) makes for almost no drag
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       02-02-2010, 1:15 PM Reply   
how much did you want to spend on a package?
Old     (kickflip_mj)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-02-2010, 1:26 PM Reply   
well i saw on slingshot.com i can get a 09 recoil + 08 boots for 349. not to bad. preferably i would rather stay around there but i have some room.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       02-02-2010, 1:38 PM Reply   
thats a pretty good price... just make sure the board is a 09+

I loved both the d2 and PB floyd...both are great even though they are different feels
Old     (kickflip_mj)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-02-2010, 1:49 PM Reply   
what ones were your favorite? im not sure i like the white bindings since i live on the delta.
Old     (cnagler)      Join Date: Sep 2009       02-02-2010, 2:19 PM Reply   
I had the 06 watson 138 and felt it was a good board but might want something different so I switched to riding my brothers 09 S4 138 and loved that until I rode last years Watson 142 and it is by far the best board I have ever ridden and feel way more control and much lighter than my 06. I would recommend sticking with the watson
Old     (kickflip_mj)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-02-2010, 5:01 PM Reply   
i had an 07 watson and it wasnt my favorite board and besides i broke it so now i am in the market for something different.

are the slingshot bindings true to size, run big or small??
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-02-2010, 9:16 PM Reply   
sorry i was at work...

If you typically wear a 11.5 i would personally suggest a size 12 boot. IF you find that you have a bit more room than you would like you could heat mold the boots and/or add in cheap orthotic from wal-mart between the liner and bottom of the boot to "squeeze" things up a bit. or even wear socks. From my experience, each time you heat mold the liners they get ever so slightly stiffer. i didn't notice till i compared my liners with a friend of mine's new liners. but mine had also been molded about 3 times at that point. i look back and wish i didn't mold mine. but that is my opinion.

I like the Driver D2 boots better
I am not a fan of Hiking-boot-hook style of lacing (on ANY foot wear) that is on the PB Floids, but i know a lot of other people dig them.

the 08 PB floyds were the first year for that model and they are said to be "Perfected" in the 2009 version.
one of the major differences is that the 2009 has a flex point between the cuff/ankle and foot parts.

Upload

in both the 2009 D3 and Floyd boots, lace dangle is prevented with nifty pockets in the back of the boot. but in '08 button snaps were used which actually did not work that well. BUT the excess lace can be looped through the square shaped hole in the back of the binding to prevent lace dangle. or the excess can be shoved inside the boot. there are other ways to get around it.

the 2009 driver boots have upgraded laces and lace loops. the top locking-lace-loop was eliminated in 09 as well.

IF you like a Stiff supportive boot, i would suggest the 2007 drivers. they don't have a pronounced flex zone between the foot and ankle. the liners are thicker in them too and have larger ankle kidneys in them... but most people saw the thickness as a con and thought they were too bulky it seemed. the 2007 driver boot size 10 is about as large as a 2008/2009 driver size 13 for example, but the inside still fits a 10 to 10.5 if that makes sense. The 2007s lack a distinctive footbed that the newer ones have, but the thicker liner makes up for it.
Upload

sorry i got carried away with the info ;)

(Message edited by wakerider111 on February 02, 2010)
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-02-2010, 10:09 PM Reply   
***I am sure slingshot would be more than willing to trade you for a 11 size boot if you thought the 12 was too large OR to get a 12 if you think the 11 is tight. as long as you don't heat mold them.

ohh and the 2009 boots (if you consider them) do not have thee optional removable ankle harness. (but you could probably ask for some if you really wanted them or buy some large ones from athletic dep.) the 2007 drivers' ankle harness is integrated into the boot and is not removable, but the laces could be discarded or it can be cut out if you wanted to

(Message edited by wakerider111 on February 02, 2010)
Old     (flydenrict)      Join Date: Nov 2009       02-03-2010, 12:40 AM Reply   
I have an 08 recoil with 08 floyds on it. In regards to the bindings, I have a size 10.5 foot and bought size 10 bindings. The were definitely a little bit snug right out of the box. My toes would just touch the end of the boot and I honestly thought about sending them back to size up. BUT i threw the liners in the oven and heat molded them (which compressed the toe area a bit) and within 4 sets they were fitting like gloves (or socks rather). I personally like the light, tight, ninja feel that you get with a well fitting boot and no one likes to lug around extra boot if they dont have to. I also like th floyds because they are a bit more gumby than the drivers and you can poke grabs better.

The lacing system was a bit off so I made some adjustments. First (and this is true for even the newer floyds) i found that I cant get the fit i like with the upper and lower lacing being all one long lace. Even with the two separate tie downs it sucked. all i did was get some extra laces and lace tighteners from an old pair of boots and rigged up a two lace system- one for the upper and one for the lower. The upper was tricky because i had to get some pliers to bend the lace clips closed over the laces to hold them in place. Works perfectly. Also the snap on the 08 bindings designed to hold the lace ends (like LF's magnet tips) dont work so i just tuck em in my the tongue.

Good luck with your purchases