Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-03-2006, 1:07 PM Reply   
Walk me through shooting hockey with 30D and a 70-200 2.8 IS.

I am going to shoot my sons first game this season and any step by step process as far as setting ect. will be GREATLY APPRECIATED.

If it is not too much trouble, be very specific. Step by step.... I am very much a novice at this. Feel free to ask any questions or added advice….

Oh, as far as the setting. I can get to the boards. Kids are 9-10. Lighting is what you would expect, actually maybe a bit better…

I have ask at FM & this is what I got.

I would set the camera on manual. F 2.8 and 1/500 shutter. Set ISO to 1600. Focus to AI Servo. Custom function to focus with * button.

You could take a custom white balance off the ice or boards or shoot in raw and adjust later.

I get the first part of that, save for the custom function to focus with * button. I have never shot in raw and hope to keep my post processing to a minimum???? Is the advantage of raw, easier to post process????

Sorry....it is a learning process....
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       10-03-2006, 1:32 PM Reply   
RAW will allow you to fix your shots if they are over or underexposed as well as fix the white balance if it's off.

Given the motion level (and having never shot hockey) I'm assuming 1/500th is a good shutter to try and should stop the motion. I'm not sure I'd just use manual though I'd start by using the TV mode with the shutter at 500th and see where the aperture floats at. If f2.8 is still underexposed (which it probably will be) increase the ISO until you're getting the proper exposure in the histogram but try to stay at 1600 or under. (It will really depend on the rink lighting) If you want multiple players in focus you may want to go f4 and increase the ISO even more.

You can assign focus to the * button by setting it in CFN 4 selecting setting 1 or 3. That way the camera won't try to refocus everytime you mash the shutter button (but you must get used to hitting the * to set focus). Most sports guys use that setting BTW but it does take getting used to.

Watch your histogram as you go and remember the ice will tend to underexpose everything. (Be a good time to try the spot meter that now comes with the 30D to avoid that!)

As far as AI Servo goes definitely if you're shooting bursts, if you're in single shot experiment. DOF is so thin at f2.8 AI servo may be the only way the camera will stay focused on what you want.

Good luck, Post some shots when you're done!
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-03-2006, 2:02 PM Reply   
THANKS RICH....you're a champ!

Of course most of that went right over my head. But I will print and go home tonight and mess around and see what I can figure out.

It is going to be a night(or two...or more) of playing around and trying to figure out exactly what I have........

Best case scenario, I can get to the ice on Saturday and be ready to shoot. Of course I have the entire season.....but I didn't want to show up empty handed.

I will post photos for sure.... It is the funnest part of all this. I have also told the coach that I would be willing to make a program for the parents, bios of the players, head shots ect. if everyone is okay with it. I'd cover the cost, just needed to ask.... I'm old and need something to occupy my time now that our season is coming to an end.
Old     (shutupandboard)      Join Date: Aug 2002       10-03-2006, 9:20 PM Reply   
How in the world can someone at FM tell you what settings to use on manual!? Maybe that sentence you quoted was out of context, but it doesn't seem like he's trying to help. Did he say that would be a starting point?

BTW. I wish I shot raw more when I was learning. It could of saved some shots that I screwed up. I almost always shoot raw now cause I still suck!
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-04-2006, 7:03 AM Reply   
The quote was entire and a copy and paste?

What is the disadvantage of shooting raw?
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       10-04-2006, 7:27 AM Reply   
"What is the disadvantage of shooting raw?"

Larger files and post processing time as you have to "develop" them in someone's software. Most of the current SW offerings have pretty good auto modes and do batch conversions as well.

I think Adobe is still offering the Lightroom Beta for free which is similar to Apple's Aperture if you're looking for a free convertor with all the bells and whistles.
Old     (shutupandboard)      Join Date: Aug 2002       10-04-2006, 4:34 PM Reply   
I'm just saying there's no way someone could tell you what settings to use in manual mode.(Which is the mode where you set everything and the camera sets nothing). That's why I thought maybe he was giving you a starting point.
Old     (swami)      Join Date: Apr 2006       10-05-2006, 2:44 PM Reply   
Jeremy,
That setting he was talking about is used to set the white balance (personally I rarely use custom white balance) You can shoot something white and then go into the menu and tell the camera, "this is white" and the camera will adjust the color temperature to that color being white.

However, for wakeboarding, light changes constantly due to clouds, angles, and whatever. So I find custom whitebalance to be not so helpful.

Rich, Adobe CS2 has a built in Camera RAW. That's what I use.
Old     (shutupandboard)      Join Date: Aug 2002       10-06-2006, 12:42 PM Reply   
This is the sentece i'm talking about.

"I would set the camera on manual. F 2.8 and 1/500 shutter. Set ISO to 1600.

That has nothing to do with white balance. The reason I consider this bad advice is if your a beginner(which you are) when you use all manual settings, it's ALL up to you, so you HAVE to know what to change if/when the picture doesn't look right. Like if everything is blown out, lower the iso...ect.
Old     (pierce_bronkite)      Join Date: Jul 2003       10-06-2006, 12:55 PM Reply   

quote:

Walk me through shooting hockey with 30D and a 70-200 2.8 IS.

If it is not too much trouble, be very specific. Step by step.... I am very much a novice at this. Feel free to ask any questions or added advice

Novice with that type of setup? Man, I wish I had that gear starting out.

I personally dont use RAW becuase I dont want to spend the time post processing 70+ images. I only use it if I know I am going to take a picture that want printed or am using it for something else, website, etc. I use Photoshops CS2 for RAW.

Agreed about what Swami stated with the white balance on wakeboarding shots.
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       10-06-2006, 5:46 PM Reply   
"Rich, Adobe CS2 has a built in Camera RAW. That's what I use."

The operative word in my post was "free" which CS2 isn't. I realize ACR is built into PS as I've been using it myself since PS7 when it was a $100 plugin.

AWB is usually pretty accurate in outdoor light. Stadium light can be tricky and fool it. I think the advice from FM was a starting point and it would be assumed that one would be smart enough to adjust the exposure/WB from there in some way shape or form once actually shooting conditions could be metered.

I guess the bottom line is if you don't have at least a rudimentary knowledge of exposure and how to control it manually then it's going to be a struggle to get decent results with an SLR. Heck sometimes I'll look at a bunch of shots and ask myself why didn't I just throw the darn thing in full auto and take my chances!
Old     (shutupandboard)      Join Date: Aug 2002       10-07-2006, 6:39 PM Reply   
HA! That's funny. I've thought the same freakin thing. I don't think that anymore though, now that I'm an accomplished pro.

Did that sound believable?
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-09-2006, 7:33 AM Reply   
Wow…..that was interesting.

I snapped off a ton of shots…just over 200 if I remember correctly. I have no idea where I ended up as far as settings, but fiddled around a bit and was happy with my results. Though it is apparent that the more I shoot, the better results I am going to get.

This is a learning experience to say the least…..and I am not sure how much I learned…..I have a long way to go.

In the end, I got a lot of keepers of my son, the goalie and the best player on the team. Funny how your focus tends of center on where your heart and the puck is.

I printed off all the photos I thought were print worthy and the Little Man gave them out to the player in the photo. Those smiles are priceless.

I will post some of the pics when I get them here at work.

Oh yea the 30D is mine, but the 70-200 2.8 is not, I rented it. I wanted to know what you get for $1700.
Old     (swami)      Join Date: Apr 2006       10-10-2006, 3:06 PM Reply   
My preference is AV mode. I set the aperture for the depth of field I want and let the camera do the computing. If I have enough information to predict, I'll switch to manual mode.

However with hockey, with them moving up and down the court, I don't see how you could accurately predict it. Sure you could dial it in on the fly, but you will distract yourself.

In a stadium, where the light is constant, custom white balance would be a good thing.

I only use RAW in situations where I am shooting for money or it's a really cool shot.

Sunset shots are also good to shoot RAW, you can control the exposure and shadows in a way you can't in just photoshop.

LOL@ Pierce. Novice setup indeed! Took me about a year of shooting for money to break down and buy that 70-200 f2.8. but man,it's worth every penny. My favorite lens!