Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through November 14, 2005

Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       10-01-2005, 3:17 PM Reply   
Just noticed that when my boat is not on the trailer that the driver side back wheel doesn't turn really well.When I back up,it does better b\c it's not dragging so it gives it more force to spin,but something is definetly holding that wheel.I thought maybe the break is not letting go but as of now I don't have a jack so I can lift it and inspect it.Everything else on the trailer works fine.

Is ther something I should be looking for??
Old     (joe_788)      Join Date: Aug 2003       10-01-2005, 3:56 PM Reply   
My buddies' 03 X10 had a problem with the passenger side back wheel brake caliper. Same sort of problem you're talking about. The caliper was stuck in place, and that wheel would get VERY hot after a short drive.

As a quick fix before our houseboat trip, he simply removed that caliper and capped the end of that brake line. That was a year ago, and it's still doing fine with three calipers.

The brakes on my trailer are completely shot. The master cylinder took a crap, so I've been driving around for awhile now with no brakes at all!
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       10-01-2005, 5:14 PM Reply   
You vehicle jack should work depending on what brand you have. That is also a discussion for spare tires. What good is a spare if you do not have a lug wrench or jack? At least with a jack and a good tie down you can continue on your way.

Jack the trailer up and spin the wheel. Then engage the brakes using a giant prybar and spin the wheel again. If it is sticking cut the bleeder loose and see if it spins. If it now spins freely the brake hose is collapsed. If no change then the caliper is sticking.
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       10-01-2005, 7:50 PM Reply   
I actually had one of the bolts that holds the caliper in place fall out and caused the caliper to stick. You really need to crawl under there to see what is going on.

brake
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       10-04-2005, 1:25 PM Reply   
I can disconnect the brakeline going to that wheel with no potential work(bleeding,etc)???

Joe ~ what did you guys use to cap the end of the brakeline?

Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       10-05-2005, 8:29 AM Reply   
If you disconnect the line it will have to be bleed. Capping the line is not considered even a bandage, it is much worse and could be considered slicing your wrist. Are you willing to risk your expensive boat to an accident on the road? Fix the problem, it is not a big deal. Do what I said above, and within 15 minutes you should have it diagnosed. Borrow a jack if needed, and use common sense, this stuff is not hard. If needed pay a mobile guy to come out to your boat and fix it.
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       10-05-2005, 9:55 AM Reply   
how do you bleed trailer brakes?
Old     (mastercraft1995)      Join Date: Nov 2002       10-05-2005, 10:50 AM Reply   
Ed isn't your trailer under warranty? Take it to the dealer and let them figure it out if it is.

This is how I've done it in the past.
Extened your tounge on the trailer then take the strap that holds the boat on and connect it to brake accuator. Where the ball and trailer connect. I used the strap to compress the accuator and a pry bar to extend it. You should have a 3/8 or so screw with a hole in it on every wheel. Bleed from the front to the back. Make sure you keep brake fluid in the reservoir.

It will go like this.
Open wheel valve to let all the air out
Compress brake cylinder
Close wheel valve
Release the strap/tension from brake cylinder. You will then need to use a pry bar to get the master cylinder back to the starting position.
In then starts over. You have to do it until fluid comes out of the valve. Make sure you have lots or rages and clean the brake fluid of when your finished. It likes to eat paint.
Open the wheel valve
Compress brake cylinder

Or go to the parts store and buy a brake bleeder kit for 20 to 40 bucks if I had to guess.

Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       10-05-2005, 11:16 AM Reply   
That sure seems complicated,how long is trailer warranty??LOL

I'm gonna call my dealer and check to see if the trailer is on warranty.
Old     (mastercraft1995)      Join Date: Nov 2002       10-05-2005, 11:32 AM Reply   
It's not hard once you figure it out.
Old     (v220ls)      Join Date: Aug 2004       10-05-2005, 11:51 AM Reply   
Ed:
When a worked at a M/C dealer a few years ago the trailer warranty was only 1yr, but it's worth asking.
I also saw what (tallguy) was talking about caliper mounting bolts loose or falling out binding caliper.
Check it out
Good luck
G
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       10-05-2005, 2:10 PM Reply   
Yea I checked that....It's between my brakeline beeing shot or the caliper which I willing to bet it's the caliper.

Can the caliper be changed without the brakeline beeing disconnected or not needing to bleed the brake system on the trailer.
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       10-05-2005, 9:20 PM Reply   
Nope!
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       10-06-2005, 9:21 AM Reply   
If I get somebody to fix this....how much should it run me?
Old     (mastercraft1995)      Join Date: Nov 2002       10-06-2005, 9:55 AM Reply   
I would guess under $100 bucks for everything provided it's only the caliper and nothing else.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       10-06-2005, 10:22 AM Reply   
"I would guess under $100 bucks"

I doubt it will be under a hundred bucks.

Ed, call Skiword at 925-460-6233

Ask for Uti (sp?)

Wait time is about one week to get you trailer in.
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       10-06-2005, 10:29 AM Reply   
Not really sure I can make it that far with my trailer like this.It would have to be really close to my house or a house call.

The good news is...I guess I can still take my boat out since it's only 4 miles to the ramp.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       10-06-2005, 10:58 AM Reply   
Personally, I would buy the new caliper and install it. That part should be easy. Then you can limp to Skiworld for the bbleed. Actaully, Liquid wrench (their service shop) is right there in Livermore.
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       10-06-2005, 12:52 PM Reply   
Yeah thanks J-rod that's kind of what I was thinking.......in those lines,anyways got any suggestions where to pick one of these babies up?
Old     (allen)      Join Date: Apr 2005       10-06-2005, 1:47 PM Reply   
Ed,I'll do it for $100.00 if you get all the parts.
AT YOUR HOUSE.
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       10-06-2005, 4:30 PM Reply   
A $100 bucks to bleed my brakes???

Oh I see......pulls just went up!
Old     (allen)      Join Date: Apr 2005       10-10-2005, 9:57 AM Reply   
Cool.... see how much Ski World will charge.
I ment I would do all the work but what ever.

Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       10-10-2005, 11:58 AM Reply   
Sorry Allen,didn't want to hurt your feelings.I don't mind doing the work,just never bled the brakes on the trailer myself.If I was gonna do it at my house....then all I would need is maybe a little guidence
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-10-2005, 12:23 PM Reply   
Ed: The brakes are no big deal. I did my'n last week. I got a vacume bleeder ($40) It made bleading the brakes easy.
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       10-10-2005, 12:47 PM Reply   
I talk to ski world and they suggested to go to an local automotive repair shop.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-10-2005, 1:02 PM Reply   
A local repair shop Thats great service. ED: geat a caliper from the dealer and limp your boat over we will fix it.
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       10-10-2005, 2:51 PM Reply   
Well they gave me two other options but I thought his 3rd option was to take it to a local repair shop was the smartest one b\c the trailer can't be driven like that for too long,it will heat up.
He told me I could actually chain my axle up and take the wheel off and take it to them like that.

F**k all that I just need to locate the part and go from there but it might take up to a week to get.
Old     (macdaddy)      Join Date: May 2004       10-10-2005, 2:57 PM Reply   
big ed...my rear caliper did the same thing i pulled iff the caliper compressed the piston with a pair of wide jaw vicegrips re installed the caliper then pinched off the rubber hose with the same vicegrips i hate to admitit but that was a month ago and its still like that.....will definatly get you too ski world
Old     (macdaddy)      Join Date: May 2004       10-10-2005, 3:00 PM Reply   
oh and by the way with the torsion bar axels like we have you dont need to chain up the axel just pull off the tire and rock it " 3 wheel motion" like a 64 impalla!!!
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-10-2005, 3:05 PM Reply   
Yea: Here is Judes 3 wheel motion. Jude drove this way all the way from Tulloch back to Bretwood no problem. Wanna Be Gangsta"
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       10-10-2005, 3:10 PM Reply   
just take off the wheel and go???

too good to be true!
Old     (twakess)      Join Date: Mar 2002       10-10-2005, 6:38 PM Reply   
ya, Ed just jack it up with a floor jack. Then put a chain in the frame of the trailer and the axle and your good to go. I have done this also. It will get ya where ya need to go.
Old     (jeff359)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-10-2005, 6:55 PM Reply   
So the torsion bar trailers, you can tow with three wheels?

Wish I would have known that a few months ago when I got a flat.
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       10-11-2005, 7:47 AM Reply   
That picture of Jude's boat is exactly why I never carried a spare tire.
Old     (greg2)      Join Date: May 2002       10-16-2005, 6:42 PM Reply   
Grant, my trailer brakes didn't seem to be working well, so I followed your lead on the vacum pump. 30 bucks well spent! Took me about 20 min to bleed them and they work better now than when the trailer was new.

Greg
Old     (fbroen)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-17-2005, 10:57 AM Reply   
Hey Chandler -- I just took my calipers off to take the whole wheel assembly apart to get to change the inner seal of an oil bath bearing. I was able to slide the pads/calipers back on the disk w/o having to disconnect the brake line.

Is this what you are saying shouldn't be possible? If so, is this an indication of needing to bleed brakes? (My brakes work fine and the fluid level is good.)

My situation seems to make sense to me since if there is a lot of constant constant tension on the piston against the pads and onto the discs, wouldn't that cause the brakes to overheat?
Old     (fbroen)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-17-2005, 11:17 AM Reply   
Ed, sounds like this may be the problem?

SERVICE ADVISORY No. 2004.SEPT20.SA-001 Subject: Disc Brake Caliper Troubleshooting Model: All Trailers CONDITION: Most caliper issues are associated with brakes that don’t release properly or seem to stay on longer than they should. Usually, this can be caused by one of two causes: a) Guide bushings need lubrication; or b) The piston is stuck out when the brakes are applied. If either condition exists, the guide bushings should be examined to assure the bushings can slide freely inside the caliper.

http://mymastercraft.com/Forum/view_thread.cfm?postid=266&forum=10&category=2
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       10-17-2005, 11:25 AM Reply   
"I was able to slide the pads/calipers back on the disk w/o having to disconnect the brake line. "

That is exactly how it should function you are fine. Bleeding brakes is always a good thing and should be done every couple of year minimum or every 30K miles.
Old     (fbroen)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-17-2005, 11:29 AM Reply   
Awesome, thx. Appreciate the response.