Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through May 16, 2005

Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-13-2005, 5:19 PM Reply   
I was on the water yesterday, and my friend fell on a wake jump. I was driving the boat and I came to a complete stop to let the rollers subside before I went to pick the fallen rider up. Well straight ahead of me I see fishing boat coming towards us at about 40mph with no intentions of slowing down. Well he drives between my boat and the rider, and guess what happened next, he ran over the rope. I did all I could to not scream at him for being an inconsiderate SOB. The rope (spectra fusion 3500lb test) popped like a string. I was in the boat and the boat felt like someone lifted it out of the water, not to mention the cringing sound the tower made. The guys excuse was that he was watching the rider and didnt realize there was a rope till the last second. I was trying hard not to call him an idiot. Well he winds the rope up, puts a loop at the end, and hands it back saying 'use it like this'. I was like 'are you kidding me?'. So then I take his registration number and cell phone number. He asks me why and if I wanted him to pay for the rope. I was like sure, that would be great since you just popped mine to sh*t. Well I call him on his cell phone and he says its my fault for being in the way. Not to mention that he called in a police report saying that we negligently left the rope in the middle of the bayou for him to run over. He said that we should watch for oncoming boaters and not "show-off" when a boat is coming. He said it is our fault for that he ran over the rope because we were in his way. There was a slight bend in the canal about 300ft in front of us. He was about 100ft in front of the boat when I came to a complete stop. But at 40mph, how can you see an oncoming boat. So he isn't going to honor paying for the rope as he said he would. But he messed up the lower unit on his outboard motor, so I suppose that will cost him a little. Besides this it was a perfect day on the water.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-13-2005, 5:23 PM Reply   
is there a flag law in louisiana? if so and you had the flag up, he's at fault. tell the cop your side of the story. cops can't determine who's at fault until they've heard from all parties involved.

(Message edited by dakid on May 13, 2005)
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       05-13-2005, 5:44 PM Reply   
I ran over a fishing line once, the fisherman was pretty mad, it was my fault. All I had on me was a $20, that made him a little less P-Oed.

I'm certain that your responsible for the damage that your wake causes, I would think the same would be true for a propeller.

You are responsible for the safe operation of your vessel, in this case this guy should buy the rope.
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-13-2005, 5:49 PM Reply   
There is no flag law in Louisiana, neither is there a third person law. There were only 3 boats on the water this day: mine, a ski supreme, and this guy.

I told the cop my side of the story and he said there is nothing he can do about it. There are no laws against negligent driving or speeding. I might only be 18 years old, but I am extremely responsible with the boat since it is not mine but my dads. He yells at me everytime I forget to do something like flush the engine or I leave the keys in the boat, so I don't play around. And this time I didn't have to do anything to get in trouble...I almost think this guy might have been drinking too.

(Message edited by malibuboarder75 on May 13, 2005)
Old    deltahoosier            05-13-2005, 5:50 PM Reply   
Uh.....If you were stopped and it sounds like the idiot basically admitted it in the police report, then he is at fault. There are laws about how close you can come to another boat. If I am not mistaking it is 100 ft. Unless you guys run one heck of a long line, you basically proved he was well within 100 ft.
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-13-2005, 5:54 PM Reply   
Rod, he was in my line of sight about 100ft in front of me, plus my rope is 70ft long, plus my friend Danny was another 50ft back from me coming to a stop. I was trying to make the point that he had ample time to slow down and come to a stop. But yes, when he passed me up, he was within 20ft of my boat and all I thought was "inconsiderate as*hole"

(Message edited by malibuboarder75 on May 13, 2005)
Old     (supradoug)      Join Date: Dec 2001       05-13-2005, 8:28 PM Reply   
In Oklahoma you cant run within 150 ft of another boat,skier,dock. you should get his boat regristration #'s and contact the DA's office or look at you local boating laws. I do this to seadooers and fishing boats that come too close. It is an automatic fine........
Old    drewsky24            05-13-2005, 8:51 PM Reply   
Where I ride we are most of the time 1oo feet within another boat but were not towards them.
Old    drewsky24            05-13-2005, 8:52 PM Reply   
Where I ride we are most of the time 1oo feet within another boat but were not a$$clowns towards them.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-13-2005, 9:06 PM Reply   
you just HAD to get that word in, didn't you?
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-13-2005, 10:17 PM Reply   
Sorry, I was just pissed...

Fortunately No one was hurt. Thats the good thing, but stuff like this good be prevented if it wasn't for idiots on the water.
Old     (big_xstar)      Join Date: Nov 2004       05-13-2005, 10:55 PM Reply   
Hey leo, I feel your pain. we were on the lake earlier this spring and we were driving my boat and following my buddy in his boat ahead of us.He had is handle ran over by a jet boat coming into towards the shore. the jet boat driver wasnt paying attention and cut in between my buddies boat and the rider. Gouged up the carbon handle pretty bad. He had no idea he even hit the handle, so we both folloed him inot the shore and confronted him about it. After
a few harsh words, my buddy got 100 bucks out of him for the damaged handle. Sorry to hear your situation didnt turn out a little better, but atleast no one got injured.
Old    murrayair            05-13-2005, 11:20 PM Reply   
There should be a special place in hell for people like that. I was out riding this afternoon and some idiot pulled a power turn right in front of me while I was getting a rope to my rider. Sent two huge waves right over bow before I could jump to the driver's seat and move us out of the way. Every single towel and shirt was soaked. Stuff like that just pisses me off. I feel your pain, man.
Old     (cool_dude)      Join Date: May 2004       05-14-2005, 11:38 AM Reply   
Post his cell number on here so we can all piss him off, or just yell at him.