Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old    surfdad            06-26-2008, 8:03 PM Reply   
We've been messing with perimeter stringers and high density rails. I refrain from calling them arabolic stringers because I can't see any parabola in there! :-)

I believe that there is some significance to having molded high density rails, but I am at a loss to explain why. When the rails are high density but not molded to the final shape the pop and drive of the board is less than when the rails are molded to the final shape. I know that to many purist - molded or popout is a bad word, but there are some decided performance advantages, I believe, when bits and pieces are used.

James from the TWC - the green along the rails marks the stringers.

Upload

Molded rail - the bottom rocker and the inside stringer location perspectives. Still needs some of the flashing cleaned up.

Upload
Upload
Old    surfdad            06-26-2008, 8:07 PM Reply   
Photo of James courtesy of Vince Piercy - speaking of which, Vince if you have any more pic's of James, would you post them, please?
Old    lakeside5_10            06-27-2008, 4:40 AM Reply   
Jeff i have my 3 lb. eps, enough to shape 6 sticks. will post finished prototypes next week.
Old     (bac)      Join Date: Feb 2008       06-27-2008, 4:54 AM Reply   
Very cool Jeff! One of my buddies and I have been wondering and talking about if someone would start making wakesurfers with the "parabolic" stringers. I bet the ride feels great!

Awesome pic from TWC
Old    surfdad            06-27-2008, 5:32 AM Reply   
Vince did a great job with the pictures!

The "parabolic" stringers alone don't seem to be the ticket. I also found that the HD foam along the rails, if it was bent into place, didn't offer the best performance - in fact it felt less responsive than just a standard single stringer. This included the use of D-cell.

On the PolyU rails that were NOT molded, I think what happens is that as you shape away the skin and get closer to the middle, the foam becomes less dense. That is to say the polyu foam's density isn't consistent from skin to core.

Mark I am looking forward to seeing your proto's!
Old    surfdad            06-27-2008, 7:49 AM Reply   
James is remarkable talented (in my opinion :-) ), also it would seem the tech is legit.

Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload

It also would seem to offer a good platform for backflips :-)

Upload

(Message edited by surfdad on June 27, 2008)
Old     (bac)      Join Date: Feb 2008       06-27-2008, 8:20 AM Reply   
Those are some sick pics! That's some crazy air too. James definitely shreds it from everything I've seen
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-27-2008, 9:35 AM Reply   
Yeah, James is legit for sure! What is he like 15 or something? I've seen his riding on the TWP video do you have any more vids of him riding? He should do and instructional video!
Old    surfdad            06-27-2008, 4:05 PM Reply   
Thanks guys. James is 16 now. No other vids like that TWP production. That was all shot in one day - well all of James' part. He was TOAST at the end when we pulled the boat out and slept for something like 14 hours the next day. :-)
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       06-29-2008, 12:01 PM Reply   
Those are amazing pictures. Jeff’s purist of the tech and James' talent is a heck of a combo.
Old     (norris_laker)      Join Date: Aug 2006       06-29-2008, 1:22 PM Reply   
James was on fire in Texas. It is going to be hard for anyone to beat him at the National or Worlds this year if he surfs like he did in Texas.
Old    surfdad            07-01-2008, 5:02 AM Reply   
Thanks guys. James is one of a few elite athletes that can take advantage of some of the tech we have been building. James is obsessed with landing a backroll/flip thingee. He's tried it on and off for a few years, but the problem is when he hits the flats, the board stops and he goes over. I think that with some design changes and a bit more boat speed so the board lands back on the wake and we'll see inverts in wakesurfing.

It's a little tough to tell in this photo but James made the rotation on this backflip - without the board of course. You'll see that he isn't very high in relation to the wake and a light weight board follows fairly easily.

Upload
Old    surfdad            07-01-2008, 7:50 AM Reply   
Two more - I like that ollie oop, the perspective from the chase boat is interesting.

Upload
Upload
Old    surfdad            07-01-2008, 8:21 PM Reply   
Sort of a before and after shot.

Upload