Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-25-2011, 8:12 AM Reply   
Wow no one is talking about this? I know the card is no UFC100, but still pretty intriguing.

Penn Vs. Fitch
I am a huge Penn fan, but this is a bad match up for him, Jon Fitch is the best non GSP in the world hands down. He may not be the most exciting to watch, but he gets it done. I have looked at this every way I can to give Penn the advantage and just can't see it. Penn's striking is better, his take-down defense is one of the best, he used to be great on his back, but that was not against the elite. It was barely a fight between him and Edgar both times He was outclassed in every asset of MMA. Fighters used to fear putting him on his back, Frankie did it repeatedly. Frankie (although world champ) is no Jon Fitch. Jon is a tireless, strong, ultimate athlete. Dana may say that he does no have the killer instinct or chokes on big fights, but this time is different, he will go right through BJ on the way to the title. When the GSP/Silva fight happens and leaves the door open, Jon Fitch will run the 170 Lb class for years. Out of 7 losses in Bj's career, 5 of those were by wrestlers and none of them as good as Fitch. He looked unbeatable before Frankie and was amazing against Diego. The key is which BJ shows up. He has all the tools to make this an incredible fight, but I just don't think the desire is there even though he says it is. I actually could see Fitch knocking BJ out cold in the first round since BJ expects it to hit the ground and Fitch does have good power. I think he will just plain overwhelm BJ. Although a determine and conditioned BJ has a great chance, I believe it goes to decision for another win and title shot to Fitch.

Bisbing Vs. Rivera
-Both guys are running their mouth something fierce. We all know that Bisbing has been almost flawless except for the Dan Henderson knock out of the year. He is the new type of MMA fighter and is extremely complete and an amazing athlete. He has good power, great boxing and can take you down at will and ground and pound you. He has had pretty much all big name fights and a nice mix of decisions and knockouts in his career. I don't know all that much about Rivera as he has been stopped fighting while after his daughter died unexpectedly. He is very well rounded and big power in his right hand. He is coming off a 3-win streak, but not nearly the names that Bisbing is. He has a great chance in this and Bisbing and been clipped many times in his career, so one or two of those big shots, and Rivera can finish. In the end though, I think Bisibing wins by decision in a rather dull fight. This is not that far different than Bisbing Vs. Silva in which Bisbing lost by decision.

Sotiropolous vs Siver
-Very interesting match up here. Sotir is the new face of UFC and a young extremely talented and well rounded athlete. Siver is a 5'7" scary dude with lethal kicks and power. Soti comes into this fight on an 8 fight win streak while Siver is on a off and on win streak for awhile, but they are all key fights. Got to go with Soti on this one as he is just too well rounded and has a kickboxing background and used to a guy like Siver. I see him working the jab and keeping Siver the distance. If it hits the mats, George finsihes in the blink of an eye. However, one liver kick from Siver and Soti's star will get a little dimmer. Have not looked at the odds yet, but definitely worth throwing a couple bucks on the Siver with that chance. Sotiropolous by Submission 2nd round.

Lytle Vs. Ebersole
-Almost guaranteed to be fight of night with these two. Both guys are the complete package and can take the fight anywhere they want. Both guys are super experienced and great fighters that are only one or two fights out for the title. This one really is a toss up for me. I am taking Lytle as he seems to be a little more hungry and his spectacular finishes will give him another knockout of the night bonus. Lytle KO second round.

Pearson Vs. Fisher
-This might be fight of night. These dudes can throw down. Neither guy is claiming they want it to go to the mat, but if it does "The King" has the big advantage. Tough one to call as Ross is a great young talent and Fisher a seasoned veteran. In the end I am taking the Fisher based on being more well rounded and if he gets rocked he can get it to the ground. From there he will outwork and grind out the wind. Fisher Decision

Hunt Vs Tucsherer
-Should be a heavyweight throw down. In the end if he gets rocked Tusch will take it to the ground and just plain out work Hunt. When you are 280+ at fight time and super fast, Tusch has a great shot like Lesner if he gets you down. My guess is they feel each other out on the feet, than Tusch takes them to the ground and the fight ends there. Tucsh Decision

Bunch of random other fights that are good for the card, but not super discussion worthy.
Old     (BCPMike0663)      Join Date: Apr 2010       02-25-2011, 10:09 AM Reply   
Was gonna get the card just to have a little party. But now we are not going to the lake, I don't know. Not a card I am super excited about. I might end up sitting this one out. Which means this will probably be an unbelievable night of fights. All I gotta say is go BJ, I can't handle Fitch's style.
Old     (cmtaylor777)      Join Date: Jul 2010       02-25-2011, 5:38 PM Reply   
Fitch is a dog. Just scrappy and an outright good fighter. I think it is a good match up and should be a good fight. Rest of the card isn't much to me though. Bisping has shown to be a good fighter but he is about as entertaining to watch as my grandmother would be. I loved seeing him get knocked out but thats about it.
Old     (ponyh8r)      Join Date: Dec 2004       02-25-2011, 6:05 PM Reply   
Is Fitch fighting? Alright! I was going to watch the paint dry on my walls or watch CSPAN but the Fitch fight might be marginally more exciting. Come to think of it....I'll just watch the paint dry.

Fitch is tough as nails but GOD he is boring. He is going to take BJ down and dry hump him for 15 minutes. I do respect his abilities and I do realize that this is how he wins fights....I'm just not willing to pay to see it. I am also a huge BJ fan (both the fighter and the....) and hope he wins, I like the others just don't see it happening.
Old     (sinkoumn)      Join Date: Jan 2007       02-25-2011, 8:40 PM Reply   
I'm hoping for one thing - more of this:

Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       02-25-2011, 10:20 PM Reply   
Im not really interested in this UFC card nothing really wets my juices.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-26-2011, 3:56 PM Reply   
We go from the best card in years (although it didn't live up to it) to one of the worst (probably gonna be killer). I'd be real interested to see how different the PPV revenue is for this fight then the last. Any way to get this streaming? If not I'll just watch a couple tomorrow on the internet because the most I would pay for this is $25.
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-28-2011, 7:13 AM Reply   
Man this card sucked. Terrible scoring and a frigging draw - really? the sotriopolous was closer to a draw than Penn. here is the thing. Now the UFC has the ultimate plan worked out(all conspiracy theorists please rise). GSP beats Jake shields, than late summer fights Anderson Silva and moves up in weight class. Now what you have is the Penn vs Fitch rematch for the BELT. This way they don't have to just hand it over to one of the guys and it will actually mean something. Of course next time Fitch will do for 5 rounds what he did in the last. Penn can not find a 5 roudn war any more.

What was a matter with Sotripoloous, completely looked off his game.

The knockout by Hunt was just plans nasty.

Bisbing continues to be a fantastic fighter/punk. Really spitting on the other corner's guys? I am sure him and Dana will have a long talk, although it worked for Brock and Bisbing is 3 times the fighter.

On to the next one - Fight for the Troops for Free this Thursday.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       02-28-2011, 9:51 AM Reply   
The Fukuda vs. Ring decision was the single worst decision I have seen in my life. And I watch MMA 3-4 days a week for the past 12 years..

Penn wins that fight 29-28. LOL @ that being a 10-8 round..
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-01-2011, 7:20 AM Reply   
I agree Jeff. Ring decision was horrible. I have read the stats on that Penn fight and Fitch broke the single round records of strikes and total strikes in a 3 round MMA fight. Penn wins first clearly, Fitch clearly wins third. Second - both get take down and control on the ground. Difference was that Fitch's strikes were 3-1 in the second round while on the ground. Overall from the middle of the second round, total domination by Fitch.

Seems like whenever they go outside of US (not that it does not happen here once in a awhile), the crazy judging or reffing happens.

You see Bisbing is being called out by Shogun and Sonnen? Either would make for a great fight. Imagine Sonnen and Bisbing crap talk.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       03-01-2011, 10:07 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalow View Post
I agree Jeff. Ring decision was horrible. I have read the stats on that Penn fight and Fitch broke the single round records of strikes and total strikes in a 3 round MMA fight. Penn wins first clearly, Fitch clearly wins third. Second - both get take down and control on the ground. Difference was that Fitch's strikes were 3-1 in the second round while on the ground. Overall from the middle of the second round, total domination by Fitch.

Seems like whenever they go outside of US (not that it does not happen here once in a awhile), the crazy judging or reffing happens.

You see Bisbing is being called out by Shogun and Sonnen? Either would make for a great fight. Imagine Sonnen and Bisbing crap talk.
Round 2 was a draw at BEST.. Penn got the takedown, a legit sub attempt and landed strikes and did damage up against the cage while Fitch was trying to smother.. Fitch got a take down, laid for 90 seconds and landed strikes.

CompuStrike for round 3 was something like 147 - 0 for striking.. The problem that I have is that 85% of the strikes in round 3 were pitter patter bull**** that were nothing more than an annoyance (classic Fitch, really).. The fight wasn't in danger of being stopped - which in my opinion makes up a 10-8 round. Guess it's all opinion..

I'm a lifelong Penn nuthugger - so my opinion is completely biased and invalid.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-01-2011, 10:11 AM Reply   
Bisbing, Spitting! what a joker. Bring Dan Henderson back let him knock some sence back into him. It seemed like after Dan Ko'd him he was a bit humble. But now we have the old Bisbing back.
Old     (BCPMike0663)      Join Date: Apr 2010       03-01-2011, 11:35 AM Reply   
Don't worry Grant, looks like Sonnen is gonna "roid" up and shut Bisping's mouth just like Henderson did.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-01-2011, 11:43 AM Reply   
Quote:
Round 2 was a draw at BEST.. Penn got the takedown, a legit sub attempt and landed strikes and did damage up against the cage while Fitch was trying to smother.. Fitch got a take down, laid for 90 seconds and landed strikes.

CompuStrike for round 3 was something like 147 - 0 for striking.. The problem that I have is that 85% of the strikes in round 3 were pitter patter bull**** that were nothing more than an annoyance (classic Fitch, really).. The fight wasn't in danger of being stopped - which in my opinion makes up a 10-8 round. Guess it's all opinion..
Completely agree. Yes Fitch owned round 3 but no where near a 10-8, those require multiple sub attempts, near knock outs or lots of blood none of which was present.
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-02-2011, 8:21 AM Reply   
I guess in the end I hate draws! And this night my worst betting record in 2 years so maybe I am just pissed about that. My record is still awesome, but hated to see 3 losses in one night.

What the heck was up with Sotripolous?

Ok fights tomorrow night for free on Versus. Looking forward to the Diego vs Kappman fight and Bowles fight. Although Tavares and Cantwell fights could be good as well. I have not fully formulated my thoughts on things yet, but looks ok, especially for free.