Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through May 29, 2009

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old     (okeefecrew)      Join Date: Jan 2007       05-05-2009, 1:11 PM Reply   
I've been lurking for a while and have read with great interest some old threads here about building a Pro Audio type tower speakers with horn loaded compression drivers coupled with some midbass speakers. I am thinking about building a fiberglass enclosure setup to mount on the crossbar of my illusion tower on my Malibu VRide.The problem is i am on a fairly low budget and want to keep costs down (thus eliminating Wetsounds, etc). I have been looking at some pro audio midbass speakers in the 6.5 to 8 range. I know Eminence and Selenium have been discussed before. In my research, I have come across some American Bass (SQ-6B 6.5inch) at only around $35 each. The specs claim 102.5db sensitivity! I will couple four of these (or similar) with two horn loaded compression drivers or horn supertweeters and plan on driving them with a four-channel amp (2 to the midbass and two the tweets)at around 150 watts RMS each and use the built in electronic cross overs in the amp. I am looking for any comments or suggestions as I am definitely not a stereo guru! Also i have come across some Kicker 8" midbass woofers (04ssmb8) at around $100 pair, they seem to have good specs as well, I think these might work well as they have around 89db sens. Do either of these look like a good setup for a tower setup that can put out some volume? overall sound quality is not a high priority as long as it sounds clean and loud at 80'! Thanks for any input or criticisms!