Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (NuBu)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-05-2010, 12:07 PM Reply   
I just bought a 2007 Malibu Wakesetter 23lsv (sweet boat, the family is so excited) and I am trying to figure out what kind of gas to put in it. The owner's manuel says 89 octane and recomends "Top Tier Fuel". That is all good but my question is ethanol or no ethanol? I hear a lot of bad things about puttng gas with 10% ethanol in your boat but from what I can tell Top Tier fuel has 10% ethanol in it. Sorry if I have repeated a thread but this is my new baby and I want to make sure I'm treating her right! Can anyone give me some advice on what gas to put in?
Old     (Matt)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-05-2010, 12:15 PM Reply   
I stay away from Ethanol, I put it in a harley on accident... Man I didnt think I would ever get that thing to quit knocking... So from then on I always Look @ the signs... I dont know about your boat just wanted to put in my 2 cents
Old     (blowhole)      Join Date: Nov 2009       04-05-2010, 12:20 PM Reply   
there are no places to get gas without 10% here so thats whats going in my boat...
Old     (stang_killa_ss)      Join Date: Jan 2010       04-05-2010, 12:44 PM Reply   
107 oct sunaco race fuel will firm up the wakes. its what they use on the pro tour
Old     (NuBu)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-05-2010, 1:03 PM Reply   
107 Seriously!!! I wouldn't know where to buy the gas. 91 is what most of the gas stations have here, every once in a while I can find 92. From what I can tell the octance boost additives have their own pros and cons.

K Money - Do you have any problems with the 10% ethanol that you put in your boat?
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       04-05-2010, 1:08 PM Reply   
Just run whatever 89 rated fuel you can. It's better if it has 5% Ethanol or less. If you are at very high altitude you could run 87 rated fuel. You can always mix 87 and 91 rated fuel at 50% each and you've got 89 if you want.

107 fuel would hurt your gas mileage and reduce your horsepower output. I'll gladly take a bet that no one on the pro tour has even thought about running it.
Old     (justintime)      Join Date: Mar 2009       04-05-2010, 2:08 PM Reply   
if it says 89 use 89

but e-10 89 you need 91!
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-05-2010, 2:44 PM Reply   
On a side note, how can you tell if the gas has EtOH in it? What we see here is, "May contain up to 10% Ethanol", and I guess you could assume it has ethanol in it, but how would you know for sure? Are certain brands more or less likely? With the exception of a few Sinclair stations, I think every gas station has that same sticker on their pumps in AR.
Old     (justintime)      Join Date: Mar 2009       04-05-2010, 3:01 PM Reply   
they sell test kits
Old     (stang_killa_ss)      Join Date: Jan 2010       04-05-2010, 4:43 PM Reply   
lol i kill myself. hook line and sinker
Old     (tre)      Join Date: Jul 2002 Location: WI       04-05-2010, 4:52 PM Reply   
Matt. The engine in your Supra is fuel injected and the ECU will advance or retard timing as needed so the engine does not knock. If you had knocking, get that thing looked at. No modern engine should ever knock. I can't even think how that could heppen. I can get it to happen in a turbo charged car if I add too much boost and run too lean. I can't figure out how that could happen from ethanol.

Back to the topic at hand. We habe only 10% ethanol here in IL and WI and my last boat ran for 10 years on it and never had a single issue.
Old     (magicr)      Join Date: May 2004       04-05-2010, 5:08 PM Reply   
Quote:
Matt. The engine in your Supra is fuel injected and the ECU will advance or retard timing as needed so the engine does not knock
Exactly, Oregon has had 10% ethanol for several years, my carborated boat as well as every other vehicle (including 73 Challenger) has run fine. The high octane fuel requirement is a conspiracy as far as I'm concerned.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-05-2010, 5:24 PM Reply   
I find it ironic that NuBu is asking a question that nubu should be answering since its what he does for a living.
Old     (epic1)      Join Date: Oct 2006       04-05-2010, 6:53 PM Reply   
ethonol is only bad when it is put in a fiberglass fuel tank like in a large boat. It has been shown to reek havoc on motors, but not in stainless or plastic tanks.
Old     (ajholt7)      Join Date: Apr 2009       04-05-2010, 7:44 PM Reply   
If it has ethanol, be sure to add marine sta-bil.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       04-05-2010, 9:32 PM Reply   
Darn Cory, how am I going to buy the new board if I can't get an easy bet.
It was a good one though.
Old     (Matt)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-06-2010, 4:20 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tre View Post
Matt. The engine in your Supra is fuel injected and the ECU will advance or retard timing as needed so the engine does not knock. If you had knocking, get that thing looked at. No modern engine should ever knock. I can't even think how that could heppen. I can get it to happen in a turbo charged car if I add too much boost and run too lean. I can't figure out how that could happen from ethanol.

Back to the topic at hand. We habe only 10% ethanol here in IL and WI and my last boat ran for 10 years on it and never had a single issue.
Tre, I had a knock from 10% ethenol in a Harley Davidson... I have never tryed it in a Boat..
Old     (cwkoch)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-06-2010, 6:58 AM Reply   
Use the minimum recomended octane. That is what the engine is designed to run on. It all has to do with compression ratio, head design, and timing. If it calls for 89 octane minimum, run that. If you're running anything below the recommended octane rating, a modern engine can normally deal with that, but you're losing power because the engine is retarding the timing.
Old     (NuBu)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-07-2010, 8:37 AM Reply   
Hate N Pain "it's what I do for a living"?? Not in the gasoline business. The responses have been very helpful though. From what I am hearing the answer is buy gas that is at least 89 octane (because that's what the owner's manuel says), buy from a quality retailer and don't worry about the 10% ethanol. Thanks everyone for all your help.
Old     (malibudude)      Join Date: Feb 2001       04-08-2010, 8:46 AM Reply   
According to Indmar anything w/ Ethanol less than 10% is fine. I have never found a performance difference between 87 vs 89 octane.
Old     (dirwoody)      Join Date: Apr 2003       04-08-2010, 6:35 PM Reply   
The Cheap Stuff!
Never had a problem running 10% ethanol here in NE