Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 08, 2007

Old     (airagain)      Join Date: Jun 2006       07-02-2007, 8:36 PM Reply   
So, I have completely lost my MOJO. I hurt my knee memorial day weekend on a wake to wake jump and was not able to ride for a month. Started riding again two weekends ago and have rode 2 more times since. Knee feels about 80% but my mind is killing me. Prior to knee injury I was getting good wake to wake air with a couple grabs thrown in. Now I am casing the wake and crashing more then landing. I am really feeling frustrated. I was looking so forward to this season of riding and it all started off so well. I hope I get my confidence back soon. Any thoughts or suggestions based on similar experiences would be welcome.
Old    walt            07-02-2007, 9:01 PM Reply   
Your confidence will come back when you stop thinking about it. Maybe try riding a shorter rope until you get your flow back.

Stay after it and have fun !
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       07-02-2007, 9:59 PM Reply   
girls on the boat always help me find my mojo... switch it up, break the trend... the other day I was feeling down and I decided "what the hey, I'll take another run and just have fun with it" well I blew it up and had the best run of my life... just keep it positive and fun and don't forget about the importance of keeping it fun, even with basics like butterslides, ollie 180s, surface 3s or try taking a whole run switch and be humbled... musics helps too, you'll shake those demons, dont worry about it
Old     (dnp33)      Join Date: Jan 2007       07-02-2007, 10:44 PM Reply   
i have the same problem, and it wasnt from an injury. sometimes i just get competitive when someone else in the boat is doing well, and then i just lose the fun of it and cant do anything. its the worst feeling in the world
Old     (justcoz5)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-02-2007, 11:58 PM Reply   
I have your solution although it may be a little odd. It also depends on how old you are, if you are 12 or 13 this may not work.

If you go out there and you are thinking too much and you first two pulls suck, have them pull you in, stand on the swim step, take your life jacket off, and let one of your buddies smack you as hard as they can on your back. I mean the smack should sting your back, but it should also sting their hand(if done properly it will leave a hand print for 24 hours or longer) throw your vest back on and get out there. For some of my buddies and I, it totally helps us relax while getting towed. You will learn to love it. If you don't want to take it on the back, you can take it across the cheek at about 60%, you don't want to take one of those full boar, it may knock you out if your buddy doesn't do it right. And one smack may not be enough. if you still are sucking, come back in and take another one. If you are a man take it across the stomach or chest. You may find that this works and want to take a 50% smack to the face prior to every set.

If you are under 18 please don't do this, I don't want to hear about any ticked off parents. If you or your buddies are hammered don't do this, you don't want to start a brawl. And finally if you do do this, you need to post some pictures of your back, I want to see a solid red hand print will all 5 fingers. Make sure that you slap with fingers spread.
Oh and finally, your welcome, cuz this will work
Old     (aldrichiii)      Join Date: Apr 2006       07-03-2007, 6:36 AM Reply   
Really Rick? I don't recommend getting hit in the face to pump you up to ride, but to each his own I guess.

Sometimes you get in a funk, but sooner than later you'll get out of it. Try switching it up with a wakeskate for a day or try something new. Eventually you'll just click out if it. No worries.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       07-03-2007, 7:27 AM Reply   
You gotta shake that pu$$y off. After a good slam one starts to grow. You have to just suck it up, trust me progression will be way more fun than hating yourself ever time you hit the water. I had this happen on toeside backside 3s, I got worked, I was sore for a week. Everyone kept saying do a TSBS 3, for days, finally I tried like a half ass attempt and got rocked again. I took until I got super mad at myself before I was able to as we put it in MN "shake off that Pu$$y" a start sticking them again. Without a element of fear wakeboarding would be as rewarding or fun.
Old     (justcoz5)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-03-2007, 10:36 AM Reply   
James,

you need to smack not hit, punching your buddy in the face will not accomplish what you want, you need to smack.
Old     (burberry03)      Join Date: Dec 2006       07-03-2007, 10:55 AM Reply   
RICK
thats the best advice I have heard, I am out of wakeboarding for 5 months but when I get back I am totally gonna do that.
thrash 4 life man}
Old     (justcoz5)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-03-2007, 12:02 PM Reply   
Simon,

you can use this strategy in many other things
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-03-2007, 12:15 PM Reply   
Personally if someone is in a funk I suggest strapping into the roam, or I get another rider out there to double with them. Tell them they look "cold, take a quick surf set", and toss them a beer. Maybe get one of your boys to grab the rope, stand on the v-drive platform and give the rider a "FULL MOON", lol. I have found that a Barechested female only intensifies the desire to ride well and often backfires.

As a driver if I see someone getting mad I try to do everything I can to get them back in their "happy place" whether its playing the most rediculous song I can find (usually something like Top Gun Anthem), Driving them near some bouys for an ollie obstacle, a couple dubs or whatever. Just trying to break up the monotony and "remind" them why they are out on the water.

I agree with what has been said regarding focusing too much, it makes things worse. The hardest tricks I have stuck were a result of me simply not thinking about them. Everytime I try to think about the trick's steps and what is required to land it, things go bad. Disclaimer: still respect the trick regardless of complexity; otherwise youll end up injured.
Old     (whitie)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-04-2007, 7:16 AM Reply   
If you set sucks then do every thing you can to make every one in the boat laugh
Old     (justcoz5)      Join Date: Apr 2007       07-05-2007, 12:20 AM Reply   
I am telling you, go with the slap, after a couple of minutes, you can still feel a bit of the sting, but believe me, you will be relaxed