Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Other Water Sports > Waterskiing

Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       01-31-2007, 1:57 PM Reply   
Boat war! I am getting an older nauty, or MC 190. I know a lot about MCs, but little about Nautys. Only that they are good boats. I am looking in the years of 1995-98 depending on the deal I can get. Any info is appriciated.
Old     (tacosupreme)      Join Date: May 2003       02-01-2007, 5:37 AM Reply   
Boat War? Malibu Response :-). I don't really know much about Nautys either except that I don't like what they sound like.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       02-01-2007, 10:37 AM Reply   
You know, I hadn't really considered Malibu. Is the Response a good boat?
Old     (peachman)      Join Date: May 2004       02-01-2007, 10:47 AM Reply   
If you are looking for a good cross over boat in that vintage, check out the Malibu Sunsetter. Throws a nice slalom wake, however if loaded up, will also throw a decent wakeboarding/skyskiing wake.
Old     (tacosupreme)      Join Date: May 2003       02-01-2007, 1:15 PM Reply   
From what I hear, all 3 are good boats. I only have experience behind the Response though. The '04 I rode behind throws a great slalom wake and with the wedge down and some weight in the back it did pretty well for boarding as well.

I have to agree with Jeff though. If you're looking for a good "do it all" boat, the Sunsetter is top notch.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       02-01-2007, 2:01 PM Reply   
I am not looking for a crossover boat. I bought a big cruiser last summer, that I keep at a lake about 5hrs away. I am going to sell my xstar and buy something less expensive to keep around here. An '04 will be a little pricy, I am looking in the 15K range. The last time I skied behind a true comp boat was 10years ago and it was a friends 190. I have never skiied behind another brand so I was looking for input.
Old     (peachman)      Join Date: May 2004       02-01-2007, 2:19 PM Reply   
Here is an option:
http://tinyurl.com/25rcu4

Several others:
http://tinyurl.com/ywehjt

I have no idea where you would be coming from to buy the boat?

The Malibu Sunsetter in the '94 - '98 was a great boat. I bought my '96 new and just upgraded to an '06 Sunsetter XTi. At times I miss my '96

JT
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       02-02-2007, 7:30 AM Reply   
Thanks Jeff. I live in KS, but I will travel. I was noticing in that first link, the photo of the bow. If you look to the back, it looks a little funny. Things don't seem to line up. Is that just how it was designed, or is that a flaw?
Old     (peachman)      Join Date: May 2004       02-02-2007, 8:14 AM Reply   
Hey Paul,

Looking at the picture you mentioned, it does appear the ski locker is at an angle. I'm not sure if it's the picture or if the locker was cut in wrong. I remember mine being square with the rest of the boat? After looking at that boat closer, the color combo is terrible!
Good luck with your boat purchase, the hunt is as fun as purchasing!
If you go with a Sunsetter, I don't think you will be dissatisfied...

JT
Old     (tacosupreme)      Join Date: May 2003       02-02-2007, 12:18 PM Reply   
Hey, that boat in the first link is right down the street from my house. That's where I bought mine. If you look at the 3rd picture the jump seat console is angled, that's why the locker looks funny.

Wish we could be more help. I know people who swear by the 190 but I don't have any experience. I really don't think you can go wrong with any of them.
Old     (bbeach)      Join Date: Jul 2002       02-06-2007, 7:15 AM Reply   
I've had a 190 for 6 years now and its been a fantastic boat! Very solid, reliable, and one of the best slalom/trick wakes I've ever ski'd on... Early 90's versions are very reasonably priced as well...
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       03-21-2007, 7:25 AM Reply   
Well, I think I am going to have to stick with just the runabout this summer. The twins are proving to be more expensive than I could have imagined. How do you think the wake will be behind this? Do you think it will fit in the course?Upload
Old     (lugwrench)      Join Date: Jul 2002       03-23-2007, 5:56 AM Reply   
Hmmm, get it up to 50 and the wake might flatten out.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       03-23-2007, 7:47 AM Reply   
Even at 60, the wake is still very large.
Old     (lugwrench)      Join Date: Jul 2002       03-23-2007, 10:22 AM Reply   
60? Wow, that thing hauls. Is it twin screw? Have a couple Cobalts on our lake. Great family boats, really sharp and comfy as hell. One of them even has selectable prop or through hull exaust.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       03-23-2007, 10:26 AM Reply   
I think you are talking about Captains call. It gives you the option to put the exaust above water to make the boat loud. Its an expensive option, and I personally think its gay. Why would you want a loud boat? Most the time they aren't even that fast. guys just want to look cool.
and yes it is twin screw. It actually goes about 65 with no load and a half empty tank. I didn't get a chance to board behind it last year, but it does throw a large wake. Its just not that clean below 30mph. I will probably ski behind it too, just to see what its like to get riped out of the water.
Upload

(Message edited by psudy on March 23, 2007)
Old     (lugwrench)      Join Date: Jul 2002       03-23-2007, 11:54 AM Reply   
I agree, that boat is loud even when at idle speeds down the canal. And no the boat isn't that fast we've run even with him in our Malibu Sportster and ski boats are anything but fast. I think deep down he really wanted a Donzi.

Did you just clean those lower ends with a tooth brush? Holy cow that baby is clean. Nice boat Paul.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       03-23-2007, 12:12 PM Reply   
lol, no the lake is very clean. Thanks. Its great to cruise in, but I really need to get another ski boat.
Old     (97response)      Join Date: Oct 2004       04-10-2007, 9:44 AM Reply   
That boat will not fit in the course.

I have a 97 Response and did not ski it before I bought it. I am truly surprised at how great my slalom wake is. I wouldn't trade it for anything unless I was going to an '03 or newer Response.

Other great slalom boats:
97 & up Nautiques. 97 was the first year of the TSC1 hull. 95 and 96's are OK, but I wouldn't get one.

Stay away from the 95-2000 Prostar's. Horrible slalom wakes. Now if you can find a 93 or 94 Prostar, this is arguably one of the best slalom wakes out there (of all time). How a company managed to screw something up in 95, I'll never know.
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       04-11-2007, 5:20 PM Reply   
Problem came in 1997 more than 1995. The 95-96 models aren't bad. I think it's 97, either that or 98. They didn't start pulling out of it until the EVO boats in '01.
Old     (bbeach)      Join Date: Jul 2002       04-12-2007, 7:53 AM Reply   
Early 90's versions can't be beat IMO... 90-94 you can't go wrong! EVO hull is also quite money!
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       04-12-2007, 12:02 PM Reply   
I know it won't fit in the course. It was a joke. Even if it did, you would not be able to see the bouys on the otherside of the wake.

Thanks for the advice though. I was actually looking at a 2000 190 SD. The interiors got a lot better in 2000, but I didn't know the wakes were bad. I think next summer will be the time to buy. So hopefully, I can find a 2001 for a little less $$.