Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (delmage171)      Join Date: Mar 2008       03-16-2010, 2:11 PM Reply   
Hey Guys!

I am from southwestern Ontario, Canada and its only about a 1hr drive to Flint, MI area from my house. I am getting anxious to get my boat out and was wondering when the Ice usually comes off the small inland lakes over there?

Lake huron still looks like the arctic but is starting to break up..

Just kind of looking to maybe take my boat somewhere in early april if possible.

I know Silver Spray Sports has a nice lake with a boat launch, just not sure how it works with using those lakes?

Any info would be great! Thanks
Old     (wakeborder5)      Join Date: Jun 2002       03-16-2010, 2:47 PM Reply   
I think Silver Spray's and Action Watersports' launches are the only on Silver Lake. I don't know about Action, but SS allows for paid public launching I believe. I would check their website and give them a call and find out how that all works.

Otherwise, I would suggest using the map and finding good looking lakes and then researching to see if they have lakes. Here's a reservoir I found near I-69:

Map

County Park Launches

If you want to head more south, there are lots of lakes in the West Bloomfield and Waterford areas, as well as Rochester and the area around it has some lakes as well I believe.

Map
Old     (jumpman)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-16-2010, 4:00 PM Reply   
Silver Lake is a great lake. Thats where we do all of our skiing. There are some sandbars that you need to be aware of. Another lake here in Fenon is Lake Ponemah. It seems to be the first to open. If you come over, look me up. Aqua Sports Marine in Fenton
Old     (delmage171)      Join Date: Mar 2008       03-16-2010, 6:00 PM Reply   
hmmm, just getting the itch to ride thats all! and the lakes in michigan seem to open up quicker then the few inland ones we have here in Ontario!

I have been in your dealership in the spring of 08. I was there with another buddy just checking out boats WAY out of my price range haha! But i will definately be looking into Lake Ponemah.

Jeff, when do you usually get out on those lakes?
Old     (jumpman)      Join Date: Mar 2002       03-17-2010, 6:39 AM Reply   
They should open any day now. We are hoping bt early next week.
Old     (nbigger)      Join Date: May 2008       03-17-2010, 7:17 AM Reply   
Lake Ponemah is public access and you do not have to worry about being locked in like you do at Silver lake. I love silver lake it is clear and never super busy but if you don't have a slip or a freind on the lake to leave your boat the launch closes when the marinas close and you can not get your boat out after like 6pm I think on saturday. Lake Fenton is also public access but it is very busy on the week ends and can be a drunken mess. Plus the police are there more then any lake in the area. I would go Ponemah we start hitting the water in april in dry suits there is still slush on the water right now.
Old     (delmage171)      Join Date: Mar 2008       03-17-2010, 8:37 AM Reply   
Awesome! I better go get my boat out this weekend! I dont plan on coming there much in the summer! I'm sure she's not to busy yet at these temperatures haha