Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 21, 2006

Old     (rowdy)      Join Date: Mar 2006       06-07-2006, 8:32 PM Reply   
Well, since the war department won't allow for the boat to be stored in the garage, I am looking for more ideas on how to cover it outside. The HOA won't let me put up a shelter. Right now i use a standard cloth cover and then cover it with a 20 x 30 tarp. The tarp I use currently had rubbed the gel coat a little, so I am looking for something possibly a little safer.

Please post any ideas!!!
Old     (lukeduke95)      Join Date: May 2002       06-07-2006, 11:21 PM Reply   
move.

maybe fleece blankets under your tarp? I would use a bright orange, or really ugly tarp. Then tell those f-ers its either that or a costco shelter.
They will quickly come to their senses. (Or evict you)
Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-08-2006, 8:23 AM Reply   
I used to keep my boat outside at a local marina. I asked a local boat cover manufacturer to make me a waterproof cover that goes over my tower (which also nicely stops water from pooling) and all the way down to the bottom edge of the boat (to protect from sun damage). It also covered my swim platform and had stitched-in padding where the cover contacted the boat. The only downside, is that because it is going over the tower, you can not tow with this cover. I can't tell where you live from your profile, but if you are in Northern California, I can tell you who made mine. Cost $600.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       06-08-2006, 9:14 AM Reply   
What type of material did the person use? That sounds really inexpensive? A custom sunbrella cover for a 22 foot boat down to the rubrail normally runs about $750-1000 (Sunbrella)
Old     (dhcomp)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-08-2006, 9:16 AM Reply   
how did the tarp rub the gelcoat?

I use a regular canvas cover, then loosly cover with a tarp (to keep the sun off the rest of the boat), and it does ok. Just tie down the tarp
Old     (rowdy)      Join Date: Mar 2006       06-08-2006, 6:57 PM Reply   
ha, I wish moving were a more viable option. I originally had a silver tarp that did a pretty good job of reflecting the heat off the cover, but I got a letter for that... Jason, that cover sounds interesting. I was thinking of something along the same lines, more like a skirt that would go over the existing cover and would protect the boat and trailer and then put the plastic tarp over the top.

I live in Simi Valley, Simi being the Chumash Indian word for "Windy", so it's damn near impossible to keep that tarp anchored so that it won't touch the gel.
Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       06-09-2006, 8:20 AM Reply   
This was a great investment and I would actually suggest that you get one made specifically for your boat and not use your old cover. At least the way that mine is designed, you have the option of tightening the cover by a string that goes around the entire bottom edge of the boat and/or using bunjees from the trailer to the cover to make sure it wont move at all.

Adam: I am not sure what the exact brand of the material is, but it is light weight, waterproof and breathable (if you get up close to the material you can see a little bit of light passing throught the material to help circulate the air in the boat). I could not believe how inexpensive this thing was (all the material and custom built for my boat), after talking to him I was expecting $1200+ but I wasn't going to talk him out of it.
Old     (wakerider42)      Join Date: May 2002       06-09-2006, 12:03 PM Reply   
I just got my second full length cover built (got another boat). It covers all the way down to where the sides of the boat meet the bottom of the boat. It's Sunbrella equivalent material (I forget the name). It works really well....the boat is at my parents' place but I am having my dad shoot me some pictures this weekend. I can post them once I get them.

It cost $1100 and the guy works in Santa Clarita which isn't too far from you in Simi if you are interested.

His name is Vince with King Kid Covers. (661)251-6250
Old     (wakerider42)      Join Date: May 2002       06-12-2006, 9:11 AM Reply   
Here are those pics I promised.

Upload

Upload

Upload

Upload

Danny