Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through November 14, 2005

Old     (eaglejackson)      Join Date: Oct 2004       09-03-2005, 3:22 PM Reply   
I've been out boat shopping and demo'd an 05 X-2 this week. I really liked it. The boat is a fully loaded unregistered demo model with 35 hrs. Before being put into demo service, they wanted $58k. Now they are asking $48k.

I asked what the differences between an 05 X-2 and 06 X-1 are. I was told compared to the old X-2, the X-1 has simpler graphics, no carpet in the rear ballast compartment, stainless dash vs. billet, and fixed board rack with bungee. (The swivel rack with clamps they said was available as an option).

Priced out to be comparable to the 05 X-2 demo, the 06 X-1 was $51,500.

Wow, seems like a no-brainer. The X-1 is going to put pressure on (old) X-2 prices, for sure.
Old     (cdm)      Join Date: Aug 2003       09-03-2005, 4:42 PM Reply   
51500 for a X-1?? I thought they were entry level starting at 40K. sounds a bit high for the 06 x-2. how many hours on the 05, options etc???

At this point Im leaning towards the 05 demo.
CDM
Old     (eaglejackson)      Join Date: Oct 2004       09-03-2005, 4:49 PM Reply   
The 05 X-2 Demo has MCX, perfect pass, heater, shower, fiberglass platform, stereo, bimini, tower mirror, pull-up cleats, factory cover, and tandem axle trailer. 35 hours, unregistered.

The base price on the X-1 is $40,807 plus $1500 freight / prep. Swivel racks are an upcharge, as is tandem axle trailer. Equipped to match the 05 X-2, they wanted $51,500.

Old     (boofer)      Join Date: Aug 2004       09-03-2005, 9:41 PM Reply   
I purchased my 2005 X-2 (demo w/ 0.0 hours) in October of 2004. I am not going to tell you the price. But, I think this is almost a no-brainer. I would go with the 2005 X-2. It is already broken in and comes pretty much loaded. The only difference in the '06 X-1 and the '05 X-2 is production dates and the fact that to completely match the base model '05 X-2 to the '06 X-1, you have to "accessorize" (upgrade w/ options) the X-1 which always cost more than if they are standard. Plus, what type engine does the X-1 have? We have really enjoyed the MCX (until lately at the gas pump). And, I would see if you could talk the dealer down maybe a little bit more on the '05 X-2 and double check the warrenty which is transferable.
Old     (eaglejackson)      Join Date: Oct 2004       09-04-2005, 7:20 AM Reply   
I'm curious to understand your thoughts on why the 05 X-2 demo is a no-brainer.

The 06 X-1 would have the same equipment, fully optioned out, to match the equipment on the 05 X-2 Demo.

That is, both the 05 X-2 demo and the 06 X-1 have MCX, Perfect Pass, heater, shower, fiberglass platform, swivel racks, stereo, bimini, tower mirror, pull-up cleats, factory cover, and tandem axle trailer. The 05 X-2 is $48k and the 06 X-1 is $51.5k. The 05 X-2 has 35 hours and warranty is fully transferable. The 06 X-1 would of course be brand new and I could choose colors and not have to pay to store it over the winter.
Old     (swab791)      Join Date: Mar 2005       09-04-2005, 9:51 AM Reply   
06 X-1 compared to 05 X-2

06 2 ballast tanks (NOT 3 like in 05 X-2)
Non billeted dash
Base drivers seat (05 Masterview)
Base non swivel board racks
Basic colors
trailer NO ALUM rims or boat buddy

Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       09-04-2005, 10:35 AM Reply   
tjk you forgot something important, the base x1 comes with a smaller engine, it will be extra to upgrade that as well.

btw your dealer is high priced, the x1 base is supposed to be advertised nationally at 39,900 the whole goal was to get into that "less than 40k" market
Old     (eaglejackson)      Join Date: Oct 2004       09-04-2005, 10:36 AM Reply   
Two ballast tanks? I wonder if three ballast tanks are available as an option?
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       09-04-2005, 11:31 AM Reply   
yes eagle thats the point, you have to upgrade everything on the x1 to equal out what the x2 comes with........

www.wakecoupons.com
Old     (eaglejackson)      Join Date: Oct 2004       09-04-2005, 12:07 PM Reply   
Mike -- right, you have to upgrade a bunch of stuff to get an X-1 to equal out to an X-2. To do that so that a new 06 X-1 would equal the 05 X-2 demo I'm looking at, the prices would be about $51.5k for the 06 vs $48k for the 05.

My question is, which makes more sense and why? It seems like there should be a bigger price difference between an 06 and an 05.
Old     (boofer)      Join Date: Aug 2004       09-04-2005, 6:44 PM Reply   
I think that the gist of what people are saying is to equip a 2006 X-1 up to the same standards as a base model 2005 X-2 you have to ad/pay for options. Many of the options on a 2006 X-1 are standard on a 2005 X-2.

Fact of the matter is, despite which boat you choose to buy boils down to what you can afford. If the '06 X-1 has everything you want on it and you are willing to pay the price than go for it. But, the '05 X-2 with ONLY 35 hours on it is by no means "used."

If the price difference is what concerns you, then go to the public library or a non-Mastercraft dealer and look up the price of the '05 X-2. Do not trust the online versions of NADA (they do not have accurate data). Also, understand, that like new cars, you will be paying a certain % just to cover their costs. Buying "used" is void of any sort of mark-ups.
Old     (boofer)      Join Date: Aug 2004       09-04-2005, 6:50 PM Reply   
Sorry to repost so soon. The lack of differeence in price has more to do with the fact that these types of boats have a tendancy to retain their value. The difference of only a couple of thousand dollars between an equally equiped '05 and an '06 is the dealer markup to cover costs. This is true even when one boat has 0-200 (arbitrary number) hours on it.
Old     (boats4every1)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-04-2005, 7:59 PM Reply   
The other reason to go with the X-2 is that the cnc michining in the interior dash, and throttle plate are not avail. in the x-1. this doesn't add any performance put looks a whole lot nicer. The other would be the the trailer on the x-1 is steel rims that are crome dipped vs. alum. and it does not have the foldaway tounge.
Old     (bigworm)      Join Date: Dec 2004       09-05-2005, 3:20 PM Reply   
if both boats and trailers are the same as you say they are except one has 35 hrs (05) and one is brand new (06) id go with the 06 you can get the colors you want and if it is something you will be keeping for a while that is important. if you do go with the 05 look and make sure your not getting a used boat and make the dealer fix anything broken, ripped or faded.
Old     (jpk)      Join Date: Sep 2005       09-08-2005, 8:26 PM Reply   
Hi Eagle Jackson -

I read your post and had to sign up and respond. I know what X2 you are looking at. It is the demo boat from C&M down in Renton, WA, right? That boat used to be parked on the lake just a stone's throw from me. I went to C&M a few weeks ago to see if they had any X2's and they said they had a nice demo 05. Turned out it was this one parked right near me and now there is no way I would pay $49K for it. (Interesting they they now dropped their price to $48K for you)

The boat was used for ski school, not just as a demo boat. It has dock scars and the vinyl has black rub marks on it. It has been parked out on the street uncovered. I think this is a used boat with a new warranty, not a new 2005.

Anyways, if you haven't seen the boat, I just thouht I'd share. If you have seen it and don't mind the use, then by all means, knock yourself out and save a few K's by getting a used boat.
Old     (eaglejackson)      Join Date: Oct 2004       09-08-2005, 10:27 PM Reply   
Hi Jay, Yes, that's the boat. I had a quick look at it but would need to look more closely at it. Yes, it's been used for their ski school and has about 35 hrs on it. Thanks for the info! Any other info you have would be greatly appreciated.
Old     (dr_inc)      Join Date: Mar 2005       09-09-2005, 12:05 PM Reply   
hmm im only 18 but from what i just read it sounds like MC is makeing the new "x1" undesirable so people will upgrade to the X2...... thats lame why would swivle racks be satndard on the 05 but 06 is an option?? no boat buddy??? thats lame and the 05 graphics are way better than the plain old 06 ones....

buy one when thay first arive.... my family did that .. got a SMOKIN deal on it fully loaded minus shower and cleats (no good use for them) we bought the boat then DAY it came in. it was suppose to be a "display" gel coat was solid inside and out in the new Pro Tour Red..we got a hell of a good deal on it too good to be true deal.. wel that was in oct.
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       09-09-2005, 1:35 PM Reply   
why would you pay only 2k less for a used boat?

People say b\c it is broken in but how do you know how they broke it in??maybe they didn't and rode the hell out of it.

For a couple k on a 50k boat...IMO buy a new one and equip. as you like!
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       09-09-2005, 1:43 PM Reply   
Anyway you go you're going to have a killer wake. I'd want to look and make sure you are really comparing apples to apples when the boats come in. I wouldn't want the lower stuff in my boat. I love the X2 trailers and all the billet. The board racks etc are really nice. Plus, I'd want the same ballast system, stereo and speed control. I'm just saying: make sure the boats are really the same. Its easy to say it, but it still would have to be true to mean anything.

Anyhow, I'd stay away from the demo boat you are talking about and buy private party. Find a boat that has been babied not abused. You know that thing wasn't broken in properly and why buy a new boat the has a bunch of dock rash on it.
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-09-2005, 2:16 PM Reply   
Shoot, a calander year on the boat title costs you more than 5% in resale even if the boats were purchased on the same day and have the same hours.
Old     (billthom)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-09-2005, 2:27 PM Reply   
From what you have said I would be looking at the new one...
Old     (ldr)      Join Date: Nov 2002       09-09-2005, 5:40 PM Reply   
I don't understand why people are up in arms about the x-1 with options costing the same as the old x-2. Malibu did the same thing with the v ride. By the time you optioned it out with the same options as the previous years wakesetter it was nearly the same price. The point isn't to actually lower the price. It's to offer an entry level boat that people can outfit as they go instead of having to buy somethiung that has all the options already added. It simply helps people who are looking in the 40k range get into a nice boat. It's not that hard to understand.
Old     (sturdyboardz)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-11-2005, 3:51 AM Reply   
anyone have a link to see the new 06's?