Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (aquaticaussie)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-24-2011, 9:58 AM Reply   
Hey forum.

Just bought a wakeboat through a private sale but was given the persons contact information from a dealer ( as the boat had not yet been advertised). The dealer basically said that he would give me the info and if the deal went through it would be great if I would see him right.

So the deal went through(for about $30K) and now I am trying to work out how much I should be giving him?

He is a nice guy but realistically he did not do that much at all and I had to chase him down constantly for weeks to get any details at all on the boat. Any unbiased opinions would be appreciated.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-24-2011, 10:12 AM Reply   
Go and buy some product from him and have him service the boat in the future?
Old     (flwa)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-24-2011, 11:17 AM Reply   
Our "bird Dog" finders fee is based on the sale. and can range anywhere from $50 to $500. But honestly I'd rather someone walk into my shop and buy something or bring in thier friends with referals.
Old     (stuey)      Join Date: Dec 2004       03-24-2011, 12:31 PM Reply   
The dealer wants YOU to pay for the referral???

If anything that should have been worked out between the previous owner and the dealer. The previous owner is the one who got the benefit of selling his boat.

What difference would it have made if the previous owner had it on onlyinboards.com or something, would you be expected to pay the website as the new owner? Of course not.

If you want to keep the dealer happy because you are going to get service from them, then make a point to bring it in soon, get an oil change, buy a new tow rope or something... but otherwise who cares.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       03-24-2011, 12:35 PM Reply   
I would say the seller can pay the dealer a fee for helping to get rid of his boat. I wouldn't pay him crap.
Old     (ryansgt)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-24-2011, 12:36 PM Reply   
Ditto, any market, the seller pays the listing fee/ agent.
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       03-24-2011, 12:55 PM Reply   
[QUOTE=stuey;1667938 if the previous owner had it on onlyinboards.com or something, would you be expected to pay the website as the new owner? cares.[/QUOTE]

Hey I wouldn't be opposed to that
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       03-24-2011, 1:06 PM Reply   
the seller should ALWAYS be the one to pay a finders fee. I have never heard of the buyer paying a finders fee. the fact that the dealer is asking you to pay a finders fee to him is rude at best. I would consider that completely unprofessional, and down right low. thank him for the info, and if you have another place to get your boat serviced, take it there.
Old    mojo            03-24-2011, 4:17 PM Reply   
Hall mark card him.
Old     (wake_upppp)      Join Date: Nov 2003       03-24-2011, 8:20 PM Reply   
Sounds like without him you wouldn't have even known about this boat. He was in a sense a broker for you. Throw him a bone. Half of one percent would be fair.
Old     (aquaticaussie)      Join Date: Aug 2004       03-24-2011, 11:10 PM Reply   
Great feedback, thanks all. It sounds fairly universal and I appreciate the wisdom of the masses.

They will be too far to come for service but we did spend over $400 on gear at their store and like Sparky Jay's idea to keep good karma.
Old     (Thrall)      Join Date: Oct 2010       03-25-2011, 8:09 AM Reply   
Good that you bought some gear from the dealer, that helps, always good to support soemone who helps you out, but find out if the seller is paying the dlr a fee too.
Had a friend who's "buddy" worked at the local dealer. Said "buddy" kind of worked himself into a position where he was providing contacts to my friend for people he knew were selling their boats privately. My friend went and looked at one of the boats, didn't end up buying it, but the seller said the dealer guy wanted $1000 "if he found a buyer for his boat." This was a private sale, dealer officially had no involvement.
As soon as dealer buddy found out my friend was looking at the boat, he told my friend he charged a $500 finders fee, but he'd "give him a deal" on a couple minor repairs needed to the boat.
So the dealer, or the "buddy" personally would have made $1500 on this deal that never passed through the dealer in any way shape or form.
I believe in helping those that help you. I have a certain dealer I buy my parts from always jsut because they have given me good service in the past. (I live no where near them now.). And I won't buy anything from the local dealer (2-1/2 hrs away as well) because they never even go back to me when I went in there to order some parts.
Old     (bill_sloan)      Join Date: Nov 2007       03-26-2011, 4:22 AM Reply   
Take him out for a nice dinner. Maybe a movie and or dancing.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       03-26-2011, 6:12 AM Reply   
I don't like throwing away money, but the guy did help you, didn't he? If it were me, I'd buy something else like a board and boots or tower speakers from him and let him know first that you are doing that to repay his help.
Old     (montana_sanger)      Join Date: Nov 2007       03-26-2011, 2:27 PM Reply   
I have to say as a dealer, asking for a "finders fee" on a deal I really had nothing to do with is unthinkable. As mentioned above that should be between the seller and the dealer, and to further the point unless that boat is sold through the dealership, eg. ( orientation, titlework, cleaning, etc ) I want nothing to do with it.

I tell people about used product daily, and can't think of how many times a guy has come in and I show them boats that I've come across on Craig's List. The way I look at it people generally remember things like that and low and behold you just gained a new customer. Not that our shop really needs the work but that same guy may be down in 2 years looking at new product. Customer service is key and it amazes me how many people just don't get it.

There's still a few of us good ones out there.
Old     (Silverbullet555)      Join Date: May 2010       03-27-2011, 11:04 AM Reply   
I'm sorry, well no I am not, the dealer gets nothing from you. You bought gear from him which was nice. Seller pays commission or brokerage fee. Not the buyer. It's part of good business to help people get into boating, even if they are a ways away. To me, it's like saying go eat at ths restaurant and if you like it, drop a 20 on your way home. He's not a concierge where you tip him.

The only way I could see it idfferent is if you were looking to buy the same boat from him and he steered you to a private party to save you a bunch of money. then I would still question it because he screwed his employer by doing that.

Either way it seems kind of off to me.
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       03-27-2011, 11:12 AM Reply   
Buy some gear from him, tell him you will take it there for service when it needs it. If that isn't enough for him give him a quarter and tell him to call someone who cares and you'll be taking your boat somewhere else for service and you'll buy your gear online.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       03-27-2011, 12:55 PM Reply   
I'm in sales and i NEVER ask for a finders fee.One of the two parties should notice the kindness you put forth and it will come back to the salesman in increased business. A finders fee would indicate GREED to me and i would never do business with that person.2 cents