Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through February 11, 2004

Old    simba            12-27-2003, 6:04 AM Reply   
I just got it in, is it too small or is this normal? Will it strech out? Do the seal sizes even go up with the next size?

(Message edited by simba on December 27, 2003)
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       12-27-2003, 10:01 AM Reply   
If it is too tight, on most drysuits there are rings on the seal that you can cut down. The seal does need to be somewhat tight or it will leak every time you take even a small header.
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       12-27-2003, 10:40 AM Reply   
What you're experiencing is the lack of blood returning through your neck to your body. The arteries are a high pressure system and get blood to your head despite the pressure on your neck. The veins however are a very low pressure system and it's hard to get the blood to return to your heart because the pressure in the neck.

In other words, your neck seal is too tight.

My drysuit materials said that if that happens I could stretch it by leaving a 2 liter bottle in the seal for a while. (I wuld start for 1-2 hours only, then work up if that doesn't solve it.)

Eventually, it should get better if you wear it enough. Hopefully you don't have a stroke by then.

My drysuit came with options to put whatever seal size you want on it for the arms legs and neck. You should be able to get a bigger neck seal put on the suit you have now. This allows for pencil-necks and muscle heads alike to have a nice, dry experience.

But to answer your question, I think the larger suits usually come with larger seals.

My drysuit didn't come with any parts I would be cutting.
Old    simba            12-27-2003, 12:53 PM Reply   
I cut the neck seal (they even have rings around it to help u cut straight) and now it fits perfect, thanks guys.
Old     (mx21)      Join Date: Dec 2003       12-27-2003, 6:41 PM Reply   
Drysuit neck seals are meant to be cut- that is one of the negative aspects - they are more individualized. There should be rings embossed on the inside of the neck seal. Cut one at a time and check fit - go slowly and don't cut too much - it is pretty expensive to get a neck seal replaced. If there are no guide rings inside the neck seal - shove a large coffee can inside the neck seal and cut 1/4" off at a time. The seal should do that (seal) but not be so tight that you have an anurysm.
You can also get a neck ring to hold the seal off your neck (out of water).
Also be sure to protect the seal with 303 protectant - keeps it supple.....
Old    wakeboard_iraq            12-28-2003, 12:48 PM Reply   
before you cut it!!!! Mine was way too tight the first time I put it on and had to take it off. The second time was a little better. Third not too bad - from then on it was just fine. If you've worn it more than 3 times (in the water) and its still too tight, then cut it.

Once you cut it, you cant go back to be sure about it!
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       12-28-2003, 6:12 PM Reply   
Jim,

AWESOME profile pic!!! I bet the Saddam canal has very little traffic. Just need to watch out for locals shooting at you?
Old    alanp            12-28-2003, 7:38 PM Reply   
maybe your neck is to big and the suit is just the right size.
Old    tfdhyprider            12-28-2003, 7:47 PM Reply   
yeah dude maybe you should upgrade to a tad bit bigger size. Seems like yours is kinna tight. lol
Old    crash_and_burn            12-29-2003, 11:35 AM Reply   
Here is my 2 cents,, some people have a very weak preasure point around the neck. I do. I can' even wear a tie. I feal like I'm going to pass out. not much u can do about it. Getting a larger suit only means its gona leak.