Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through September 06, 2005

Old    cobius            08-07-2005, 12:12 PM Reply   
Anybody know where or if I can get Spectra, or something similar in bulk?
Old     (magene)      Join Date: May 2005       08-07-2005, 3:22 PM Reply   
I buy a lot of spectra (and other) line for work. The ones I buy are made by Yale Cordage, Samson Rope, Puget Sound Rope and a very few others. You can buy large quantities (usually 600 feet or more) direct from them. You can buy smaller quantities retail from McMaster Carr (www.mcmaster.com) or West Marine (also on the web, don't know the URL) among others. I don't use spectra wakeboarding line so I don't know the exact construction. You should check a wakeboarding rope to see if it is plaited, usuallly 8 or 12 strand. I'm guessing it won't be jacketed but you should double check. Also make sure you are getting the same diameter rope they normally use for wakeboard ropes.

FYI the latest, greatest high strength rope I've seen is made from Dyneema and I noticed some wakeboard ropes are now being made using it.
Old     (salmon_tacos)      Join Date: Jan 2003       08-07-2005, 3:53 PM Reply   
Something like this would be good:
http://www.layline.com/prodinfo.asp?number=YLT316

Or for a super-thin, no-nonsense line:
http://www.layline.com/prodinfo.asp?number=E1218

The only problem with the latter, which doesn't have a poly braid on the outside, is that the core is exposed to UV. While Spectra/Dyneema is pretty UV resistant, it may still weaken after a couple of years.
Old    cobius            08-07-2005, 5:57 PM Reply   
thanks guys for the info, really appreciate it. I just can't fathom spending $100 on something "wakeboard specific" I can make or get somewhere else. It may not be as pretty, but will be alot less expensive.
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-08-2005, 6:06 AM Reply   
Sorry dude but you into wakeboarding now. Just like snowboarding, everything is expensive. Think how much a few lift tickets are :-)
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       08-08-2005, 7:19 AM Reply   
www.wakecord.com
great rope, great price. i've had one for like 5 seasons now.
Old     (magene)      Join Date: May 2005       08-08-2005, 9:01 AM Reply   
For what it's worth, 1/4" (6.35 mm) spectra (no jacket) is $97/100 feet at McMaster Carr. 5/16" (7.94 mm) spectra (no jacket) is $151/100 feet. You'd still have to spend a couple of hours putting in the eye splices. You can get complete, 3 section ropes from the website Trace gave for $59-$65 bucks, less than the cost of the rope from McMaster. You can probably get close to Wakecords price if you buy a lot of line direct from the manufacturer, but my guess is you won't be saving much, particularly if you include the time it will take you to put in the splices.
Old    trickskisrock            08-10-2005, 1:18 PM Reply   
Cobius,
Keep searching for the spectra line. If you can find a good price, it is definitely worth the time involved splicing your own rope. There used to be a great website www.skiropes.com where you could buy bulk polyester coated spectra line for $0.50/ft. If you know how to tie the knots properly, splicing the rope takes no time at all. I can tie a four section rope now in approximately 15 minutes and have a rope that looks exactly the same as one from masterline or any of the other companies. Plus I actually know how long my rope is. (Try measuring a store bought rope sometime. Its amazing the differences in length you'll get from one rope to another.) If you find someplace that sells bulk spectra for a good price, make sure you post back.
Good luck
AJ
Old    cobius            08-10-2005, 2:24 PM Reply   
It looks like wakecord is going to be the way. The prices are reasonable and from what I've heard, the quality is pretty high. What I've found through the internet is that the higher quantities of Spectra, like 10,000 ft. spools, are reasonably priced. Problem is, I only need like 100 ft....75 ft. + 25 ft. to experiment with. At $97/100 at Mcmaster, It's cheaper to buy a rope from wakecord already done up. Also, according to the guys at WakeCord, the price of Spectra is going up because the Dept. of Defense is apparently buying up all they can get their hands on. I guess there's some killer glass on the Tigris River in the AM.....All jokes aside, I think its used for parachutes and things like that.
Old     (jon4pres)      Join Date: May 2004       08-11-2005, 8:52 AM Reply   
What about bullet lines from Ebay. Here is a link of a rope and handle. They usually sell for around 45-50 and are on here all of the time. Does anyone know abou them.
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-2005-75-SPECTRA-CORE-WAKEBOARD-SKI-ROPE-MAINLINE_W0QQitemZ7175450454QQcategoryZ74048QQssPa geNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Old    robertt            08-11-2005, 12:18 PM Reply   
I bought one of those bullet ropes...it sucked rocks.

It was zero stretch, but tangled easy.

But, the biggest problem was that they bleed their color. I got it wet (of course), coiled it and put it on the sun pad for a second...and all the yellow ran off. It even stained the white plastic bushing on the tower tow point.

I bought a new boat after that....couldn't take it:-)

Grizzly sports will sell you a Jacket line for fifty bucks. Fifty bucks...for a great no stretch line and a name brand.

The ONLY reason I would consider making my own is so I could make a shorter rope for teaching kids and newbies (especially kids). I would like about a 45' rope for that...so a 6 year old could have a chance at going wake to wake.

Old     (bulletlines)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-14-2005, 6:58 AM Reply   
ROBERT IS SOMEONE WHO DOES NOT TELL THE TRUTH!!!!

Robert,

Come on! You have never owned a bullet ski lines rope. I'm the owner, and I've never made a rope with yellow in it. We have only been in business about 2 years, and all we have made is blue or red. Don't bash stuff you have never used for sake of getting your comments in. My ropes and handles are made at the exact same place that accurate, straightline, and masterline get some of there equipment made. If my rope bleeds, I'll replace it.

Cobius: I will sell you a bullet power cord direct for $40. Let me know!

Ken Land
Bullet Ski Lines
Old    cobius            08-14-2005, 8:45 AM Reply   
Thanks Ken, but I bought a wakecord line already. I'll keep your number for future reference. For some reason my crew goes through ropes pretty fast. Some of the guys are like 240# and board pretty hard. Are your ropes spectra or dyneema, and do you have a website?
Old     (bulletlines)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-14-2005, 8:59 AM Reply   
We make a few different ropes. Our power cord is a spectra core rope with a coated dyneema cover- Tinsel strength is 4500 lbs. We also make a spectra fusion rope, and a unique braid poly e rope that is almost non stretch.

Ken Land
Bullet Ski Lines
Old    robertt            08-14-2005, 10:47 AM Reply   
Ken,

I just responded to your private message, but guess I will have to chime in here since you decided to post what you did.

I bought a rope on ebay, that had bullet in the name. It looked exactly like the packaging that you have on the current auctions. If it was a knockoff of your product, and somebody was using your product name to sell an inferior product then I was taken advantage of...had no idea...sorry.

BUT, you as a business owner should not come on here swinging, and expect no response.

I don't give a crap about getting comments in, I was telling the truth about a product that I purchased.

In your private message, your first line threatened legal action for my post. That is so weak...you could have just said "Robert, you must be mistaken, please check this or that and you will see it is a knockoff". Instead, you came across like an asshat.

So, whatever, at this point rather it was a knockoff or not is irrelevant. I wouldn't buy from a business or person that goes straight to calling in lawyers at the first sign of anything.

This board is about normal boarders that love their sport, and talk about it. Its a friggin discussion board! Don't bring your legal crap in here.

Again, if it was a knockoff and was not your rope, I obviously was mislead by an unscrupulous ebay vendor. How the hell would I know? Go after them with your legal team.

Old     (eccpaint)      Join Date: Feb 2002       08-21-2005, 6:08 PM Reply   
Robert

You are the one that said his ropes "sucked rocks"!
If I had bashed the quality of something you manufacture, to sell & put food on the table. And did it on a forum full of my potential customer base. Well..... that just cuts to the core of your soul. Don't be so hard on a guy trying to protect his good reputation & name.

I have a Bullet rope. Works just fine for me. BTW mine is red.
Old    dahui            08-21-2005, 7:47 PM Reply   
Robert -

Sorry to hear you had a crappy rope by an unknown company. You should realize that being a business owner in the wakeboard world isnt an easy thing. People put their butt on the line to try to bring bring products to our community at a reasonable price. Only a handful of people can actually make it into a successful business. I can see why an owner might take offense to a comment about his product. This is one of the largest wakeboard communitites in the world and a misrepresented review can make or break a business. Just be careful when you a review a prodcut and are not sure about the company.
Old    zboomer            08-21-2005, 8:18 PM Reply   
Anyone who posts responses to private messages in a public forum is the "ass hat" in my book.
Old    robertt            08-22-2005, 7:38 AM Reply   
Guys, believe me when I say that I appreciate your points..but...I don't have a problem with the business owner taking offense to what is clearly a mistake, I just didn't appreciate how he did it.

I did my part and clearly posted that it is now my assumption that it was not an authentic rope, that's about all I can do.

Point is that there is no way I could have known it was not authentic. If I bought a CWB board off a wholesaler on Ebay, and it melted in the water, I wouldn't have a problem saying that it did. Open discussion about products is a big part of what this board is about. If I later found out that it was a cheap knockoff I would pull the review. I have bought well over 400 items off ebay, this is the first time that I have recieved a product that is in any way a fake. In my opinion, I had the right to assume the rope was what they said it was...there was no reason to believe it was not.

Anyway, best of luck to any business that provides a quality product....I just hate getting threatened with a lawsuit over something so trivial.

Boomer, I didn't respond to a private message in a public forum...I replied to a message in a public forum in a public forum. I prefer to keep everything as private as possible, so what I wrote to him in private will remain that way.

If there is a point to the ridiculous tangent that this thread has went on, its probably that people should be aware about what they buy on ebay and the potential problems that can be had.

Either way, im through with it.