Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 07, 2004

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old    wakeboard_iraq            05-05-2004, 8:48 AM Reply   
Just wanted to update all of those that sent packages and letters to the troops in Iraq as a result of the thread that was running a few weeks ago.

The first packages have arrived! Hopefully more are on the way. The below email is from Capt Nelson who is the Services Company Commander. He told me that he had his Company First Sergeant distribute all of the "goodies" to E-5 and below (what that means is that the treats were limited to the younger Marines - officers and senior enlisted didnt get any [which is the right thing to do]).

This is what he asked me to post on the thread:

Dear Wakeboarders,
On behalf of the Marines and Sailors of H&S Bn, 1st FSSG I would like to personally thank you for the strong show of support you have given to each and every one of us with the packages, cards, and letters. I realize that everyone has their own opinion about whether or not we should all be over here but it is people like all of you that realize it doesn't matter. What matters is the Marines, Soldiers, Sailors, and Airmen who are over here defending our freedoms. Regardless of what you hear we are doing great things over here for the future of the Iraqi people. As for the fighting, I cannot speak for all branches but I can speak for the Marines when I say that we are kicking ass and taking names. Marines perform heroically on a daily basis here and make us all proud to wear the uniform. And I can't tell you how much pride swells up in their chests when they hear and see the support from people like all of you. Translation: keep it coming!
The conditions are good and getting better. The chow is recognizable most of the time and usually in good abundance but it is a welcome change to get some of the niceties we have received from your care packages. The weather has begun to grow warmer over the past week and we expect it to get over 100 very soon. Once it gets above 120 it's trivial because it's just too damn hot for most anything. Something to look forward to over the next month! Most of the Marines have access to some form of communication so contact with home is a little easier than previous deployments. Some camps even have satellite television so we can catch the occasional ball game or keep tabs on hometown news. It is more than we could have imagined considering the setting.
Once again we all appreciate the overall support of everyone in the states. When organizations such as yours get together it helps these men and women understand why they are out here and what they are fighting for. Please relay the message that these are exceptional men and women doing extraordinary things and they deserve America's unconditional support. They will never get tired of it I assure you.

Semper Fidelis

Captain Mike Nelson
Service Company Commander
H&S Bn, 1st FSSG
United States Marine Corps