Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (night_hawkps3)      Join Date: Feb 2014       02-23-2014, 4:44 PM Reply   
i ride a 2009 ronix district. but want to up grade.i hav a chance to buy a 2011 ibex but i read its for advanced riders.im not advanced i jump wake to wake but no tricks yet. would this be to much of a board for me or could i advance into it.
Old     (mbtownend)      Join Date: Jul 2013       02-23-2014, 8:53 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by night_hawkps3 View Post
i ride a 2009 ronix district. but want to up grade.i hav a chance to buy a 2011 ibex but i read its for advanced riders.im not advanced i jump wake to wake but no tricks yet. would this be to much of a board for me or could i advance into it.
If you can find a newer parks model either the 2012 or 2013, I'd recommend one of those. Especially if you can get your hands on an ATR. I have the 2013 parks ATR and I love it. I'm and intermediate/advanced rider and think it's great for anyone. This board will definitely help you progress. I found the ibex shape itself too much.
Old     (spencerwm)      Join Date: Feb 2009       02-24-2014, 10:04 AM Reply   
The transition form the District is actually pretty good. It will have a similar locked in feel but the surface speed will be accelerated and the pop hits harder and faster.

The Ronix Ibex is a great board but be aware that it is that typical Parks Bonifay ride. The rails are not forgiving and react as soon as you think about transitioning onto edge. The pop is big and not consistent until you can develop your skills.

Bottom line. I progressed at a very fast rate on this board. Once I was able to get comfortable with the speed and I learned how to maintain a progressive edge through the top of the wake and it felt amazing.

If I had to describe the Ibex with one word I would say, explosive. I am an intermediate rider and love the feeling of big snappy pop off of the wake. I also like a very fast ride and locked in feel. Like Michael said if you can find a newer Parks board that would be awesome since they seem to get better every year. If the price is right you will love this board.
Old     (sja)      Join Date: Jul 2012       06-15-2014, 8:22 PM Reply   
I had the great fortune to have some time with pro rider and learnwake coach Clayton Underwood last summer. I had ridden the Ibex for a few years and was stalled out in my progression so had just changed over to a Ronix William for "something completely different". I am pleased with the new board. Clayton, upon seeing the Ibex in my boat commented, "Ive only known one rider who can ride that board .... Parks."
Personally I found with the Ibex that if you hit the wake just right you would get launched, but it was hard to hit that sweet spot every time. On the landing side, the board is very forgiving. You can land almost any angle or direction and pull it out.
Old     (sambo13)      Join Date: Jun 2009       06-16-2014, 7:03 AM Reply   
I rode an '11 Ibex 139 for 2 years and loved it to death. And I mean that literally...loved it until I snapped it in half on a bad landing 2 months ago. I've since replaced it with the '13 Parks (Ronix's replacement for the Ibex, with a few shape changes) and actually like it a little bet more than the Ibex.

Like others have mentioned, both the Ibex and the Parks boards have a bit of a "learning curve" associated with them. Neither of these boards are particularly fast, and should be ridden as such. When I started riding the Ibex, I rarely got good pop because I was trying to fly into the wake with way too much speed. You've really gotta emphasize a progressive edge with the these boards - great line tension and standing tall through the top of the wake will give you the big vertical that these boards are known for.

The biggest difference between the two, IMO, is that Ronix mellowed the rocker out a bit when reshaping the Ibex into the Parks. The Parks rides faster than the Ibex, but I haven't found that it pops any less. When it comes down to it, either board is a good choice. Personally I'd go with the Parks if you can find the right price. I found mine through a store on Amazon for ~$280.