Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Trick Tips

Old                03-20-2002, 5:11 PM Reply   
OK.. i started wakeboarding with no help whatso ever... i can jump the wake, pull some grabs.. 180's every here n there...i get some pretty good air...
i just bought this video wakeboarding 2.1
it says when jumping keep your legs straingt,
well when i jump.. i love to pull my legs up, like i do when i skateboard..
so my concern is .. is this gonna slow me down in my learning process... cause according to the video they reccomend i learn all over again.. with isnt a big deal.... but. whatever...
thanks for the help....
Old                03-20-2002, 5:48 PM Reply   
for me i only bring legs up when i grab, and i learned myself too. now i usually keep my legs somewhat bent, but pretty much straight. sometimes i actually land w/my knees locked. but if it says too, and you can correct it, might as well.
Old                03-21-2002, 6:15 AM Reply   
Keeping your legs straight is a tool to learn proper form. it is by no means a necessity for progression. Keeping your legs straight helps you learn edge through the wake and feel the pop, instead of absorbing the wake with your knees. It also helps you learn to stay balanced in the air.

Concentrate more on learning to load the rope and edge properly.

Jason
Old                03-25-2002, 1:40 AM Reply   
I agree with Jason ,but IMO there is nothing gayer than seeing someone jump w2w with their legs straight . Its quite a funny site. But if thats the way you learned more power to you just realize if you do it that way your buddies are probably laughing at you on the boat !!!!
Old                03-26-2002, 4:38 PM Reply   
Whatever you do, don't get in the habit of landing with your knees locked straight, that is asking for a major knee injury when you move up to bigger tricks. When jumping the wake, do whatever makes you feel most comfortable, bringing your knees up will help you with grabs, but its a bit easier to spin with your knees more straight. Just make sure that you are actually getting pop like Jason said, and not absorbing the wake with your knees like a slalom skier.
Hope that helps some.
Later
Tiffanator
Old    oldmanwinter            06-03-2002, 3:17 PM Reply   
True, knees locked out IS asking for a knee injury. Try clearing the wake and landing with locked knees once-you'll know something's wrong. What they're talking about is progressively extending your legs all the way from the root of the wake to the crown. This gives you the pop necessary for everything. In the air, you'll be more stable with your landing gear retracted. Then you extend to kiss the water(gently), and absorb the landing like crazy with your ankles and knees. Exactly like snowboarding, skating, etc.