Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (cowwboy)      Join Date: Jul 2008       08-10-2009, 8:35 PM Reply   
I am running a v-drive (400) in the back left above the gas tank and one next to the motor. There is two girls and my buddy sitting on the port side.
Any more I can do to get the wave bigger yet not get the port to much farther down as I'm sitting at the rub rail right now.
Also do have a 1200lb sack in the bow that we fill sometimes to change the shape still trying to dial in how much bow weight I need. Upload
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-11-2009, 12:54 AM Reply   
Your problem here is not so much size, but form. You don't seem to be forming a wave at all. What speed are you going? Looks like you need to LIST the boat over more, and try speeds from 9mph to 11mph. Start at 9 and move up in 1/2 mph increments. You should see a clean face with some white at the top towards the font, and then white towards the back of the wave, there may or may not be a curl. You picture shows just mush.
Old     (cowwboy)      Join Date: Jul 2008       08-11-2009, 5:27 AM Reply   
These aren't great pics of the wave but this is more the normal shape. The girl riding at the time of that pic has the board right on top of the wave making everything looked washed out.
It was her 3rd or 4th time getting up. Upload
Upload
Old     (cowwboy)      Join Date: Jul 2008       08-11-2009, 5:29 AM Reply   
Upload
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-11-2009, 2:21 PM Reply   
Rub rail 2 to 4 inches under water and only about 300# in the bow, on the side you are riding. Go between 10 and 12.5 mph and you should be gettin a good wave.
Old     (cowwboy)      Join Date: Jul 2008       08-11-2009, 5:05 PM Reply   
2-4 inches under???
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       08-11-2009, 5:43 PM Reply   
@daniel

I wouldn't take that 2-4 inches as a measurement for you, looking at your boat, the rub rail is just below you gunwale. The one picture from the boat, with the leg in the bottom frame, def seems like you need to get more weight on the side, and LIST/lean the boat over more. Just be careful, looks like your boat can only take so much.
Old     (cowwboy)      Join Date: Jul 2008       08-12-2009, 5:24 AM Reply   
The picture with emily's leg in the picture I only have 400 in the back corner. With 800 on the one side and a few people it pulls the starboard exhaust out of the water. I'll see if I can get my hands on some more weight and try getting it to list even more. Should I be putting the extra weight more twords the bow just on the port side?
I have been thinking of putting the other v-drive bag in the back compartment like I do for boarding and throw a 700+ bag on the port side of the motor.
Old     (sailing216)      Join Date: Oct 2007       08-12-2009, 6:52 AM Reply   
I'll go by the 3rd pic and it looks like too much bow weight or you're going too fast.

Your list looks good, you can try moving people ballast around and less bow weight and another person or two in the boat.

Your boat can only do so much and it sounds like you got as much list it can take without getting dangerous. We didn't know what boat you run so some people go by rub rail. My boat is about 4 inches under the rub rail. Is that a Supra Sunsport your running? Post what you got and others can chime in.
Old     (cowwboy)      Join Date: Jul 2008       08-12-2009, 6:55 AM Reply   
It's a supra pirata 23ft with the 454
Old     (sailing216)      Join Date: Oct 2007       08-12-2009, 6:56 AM Reply   
We messed around and put our extra 400lb sac that we sometimes throw on the port seat just on the floor next to the driver and even added 250lbs in the opposite side locker. Sinking the boat straight down gave us the push we needed. The boat was already listing just fine. --some things you can try. It doesn't all have to be on the port side.
Old     (duckdiver)      Join Date: Jul 2007       08-12-2009, 5:06 PM Reply   
WHAT'S UP JOE B. I FILL GOOFY SIDE ALSO. WE NEED TO SURF SOMETIME. SEND ME A PM, OR WE'LL GO OUT ON JOSH'S BOAT.
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       09-30-2009, 10:03 AM Reply   
I would put some weight evenly in back (I have 600lb across the back under the sundeck and rear seat which is like 300 on each side really if u think about it). Then I put a 750 sac alongside the motor which is key.

This is where I would start, but when you are surfing if you keep getting pushed close to the boat, that is an indicator that you need more bow weight to lengethen the pocket. I run another 350 in the bow on the surf side only.

Still needs everyone to be seated on the surf side as well. You should be good to go once you approach 1500lbs. Your Pirata could be a little different than my SunSport too. But you should be able to get a thigh high crisp clean wave at about 10.5 - 11.5 mph. Any luck lately??
Old     (cowwboy)      Join Date: Jul 2008       09-30-2009, 3:01 PM Reply   
We've been playing with the weight some and for what bags I've got we have it dialed in.
Wish I could get a hold of a few more v-drive sacs for testing. Tried with 800lbs over the gas tank and a big cooler full of water on the surf side and it was ok just not as good as having both sacs on the surf side. It's up for sale and having quite a few lookers so not pursuing it to much.
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       09-30-2009, 3:44 PM Reply   
What are you looking at next?
Old     (cowwboy)      Join Date: Jul 2008       10-01-2009, 8:21 AM Reply   
House.

Then after my finances get settled either a enzo or a sanger 215.