Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through October 07, 2003

Old    lukeh2owalker            09-01-2003, 11:11 AM Reply   
i heard some stories that the tail is to thin and people have broke some, but i heard the stories from liquid force riders. has anyone rode it or broke one?
Old     (leinad)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-01-2003, 3:08 PM Reply   
I know they are not making the 04 Byerly in the DNA core because it was to thin and weak, but
I have riden most of the o4 lineup and it is bullet proof
Old    moogleman            09-01-2003, 5:55 PM Reply   
just ordered mine... i hope theres not a problem with it
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       09-01-2003, 6:18 PM Reply   
I heard that the reason that they didn't make a DNA core was because they couldn't get the balsa wood to make the shape of the cut-outs. With the DNA cores the wood comes all the way out to the edge.
Old     (jjared)      Join Date: Oct 2002       09-01-2003, 6:42 PM Reply   
I've had mine for a week and the board is real solid. I don't hit sliders with it so I can't say how it would hold up....that's what the old board is for
Old     (leinad)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-01-2003, 10:28 PM Reply   
Exactly when they tried to cut the balsa cores the wood core couldnt handle the shape. I was lucky enough to get a tour of the factory a while back and it was amazing to see how the
boards were made, especially the DNA.
Old    karma2burn            09-04-2003, 9:09 AM Reply   
Rode the 04 byerly for the first time yesterday. Thought I would share. Fist off I should say, The radical design made me suspect of hyperlite designing a board for "shelf appeal" than actual on water performance. Glad to say I was dead wrong...the board rode very very well. While it does look radically different it rides similar to the '03 in feel. The the bench weight and swing weight were both noticably reduced. Board tracking when finless was very positive and the pop seemed plenty adequate. Release from the wake was very predictable and smooth.
All in all, a nice piece of work for hyperlite. Definitley worth checking out...BTW that new TEMET is sick too...just make sure to get one big enough for you.
Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       09-04-2003, 9:16 AM Reply   
My opinion:

Too sticky with the fins, but I was told it doesn't work too well finless.

Not as much bucking pop as my absolute. I expected more.

Lands hard.

Doesn't have that smooth feel when you ride the rail, it feels unpredictable.

Good things:

It felt pretty light in the air.

So back to the original post: I can see how you could break the tail if you came down on it pretty hard. However, if there were no marks on it I can't imagine having any trouble getting Hyperlite to replace it.
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       09-04-2003, 11:26 AM Reply   
Blabel - sounds exactly like how my '02 rode.

I was talking to the Hyperlite rep at Wakesports yesterday and he mentioned that the '04 Byerly is a manufacturing nightmare.
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-05-2003, 12:31 AM Reply   
What's up Brian? Come visit the delta again!! I appreciated your comments, and I'll add a few, as I spent this past weekend on the Byerly with no fins. I initially had ridden it with the fins, and I wasn't feeling it at all - too slow on the cut, and it was sticky and unpredictable on the release off the wake. Without the fins, it was awesome for me - totally different board. I think finless is the way it was designed to be ridden. Maybe the fins are included just for "shelf appeal." It does land hand, but Scott's boards always do - this one is better than previous models. I agree, it could be unpredictable when riding the rail, but only in choppy water - not a problem for me when conditions were moderate to smooth.
One additional thing I am worried about it whether the p-tex bottom will eventually peel off where the water hits the leading edge of the cut-out. That's a lot of pressure on a board, and I can't think of any other existing board design where a laminated leading edge has to constantly be cutting water like an airplane wing.
Undecided whether I will buy a new one. I liked the ride a lot for my style, but I will probably wait a year and see how they are holding up.
Maybe I should try that CWB again!
Old     (blabel)      Join Date: Jul 2001       09-05-2003, 6:35 AM Reply   
Hey I'll be back for sure. Probably in May to be exact!

I've tried Byerly's from the last three years and we have not gotten along too well so I guess it was no surprise about this one. I actually liked the new one a little better than last years model but the board just isn't for me.

As for the Ptex, who knows. Hyperlite would probably fix it with no questions asked.

That's interesting about the fins. The guys at the shop said they tried it finless and it didn't work. I did find that hard to believe since Byerly usually rides his boards finless.