Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (superair502)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-20-2010, 7:50 PM Reply   
Ok let me start by saying that I think either a three year old a monkey or caveman drew the diagram for the alternator upgrade. I thought I could do this myself and I prolly could if the directions weren't so pathetic. Anyways I have a few questions
1. Where are the positive and negative posts on the new alternator. I'm guessing the outside post Is the ground and the thicker inside post is the power?
2. The wiring harness ground is supposed to connect to the post but the terminal is too small. I'm guessing I have to go purchase my own ring terminal and put it on myself though it says nothing about this in the directions.
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       08-20-2010, 8:19 PM Reply   
I am not sure exactly what comes in the harness but if it is the one you can get from skidim it is a Delco 11si alternator. The stud that is on the side of the alternator is the ground. The large stud on the back of the alternator is the positive. I would assume that if they would of premade these cables they would of put the correct size terminals on them. Maybe they accidently put the wrong one on? The ground cable should attach to the stud on the side of the alternator and then to the block probably. The positive probably runs to a circuit breaker which then goes to a relay/solenoid which then goes to the starter. There is also a 4 wire pigtail for that alternator. Most likely there are 2 wires that will go to nothing. Just put tape or butt connectors on them. The 2 wires on the pigtail you will use will correspond with the "s" and "I" on the alternator. "S" is for sense and "I" is for ignition. Put a ring terminal on the wire that goes to "S" and connect that to the positive output terminal on the back of the alternator. The "I" terminal should go to an ignition wire. This is what excites the alternator allowing it to put out amps.
Old     (superair502)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-20-2010, 8:48 PM Reply   
I think mine may b a different setup. In mine it shows the factory alt ground should also b connected to the ground. The supplied power and ground both fit the studs on the alternator. Also my diagram shows running the supplied power wire directly to the started and the ground to the bell housing. How did u remove the pulley to put it on the new alternator??
Old     (superair502)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-20-2010, 8:49 PM Reply   
The terminal that didn't fit was the factory gtound
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       08-20-2010, 9:33 PM Reply   
I haven't actually done this swap but my company specializes in alternators and starters. We are a wholesale distributor for all the major OEM brands.

You may have to take the alternator to a shop to have them remove the pulley. Sometimes the old pulley gets stuck on real bad. IF you want to try yourself get some CRC freeze off or similar product. Then use a socket and remove the nut. If you have an air gun that will work better. Then see if you can pull the pulley off. An alternator and starter rebuild shop probably has a pulley puller if you can't get it off. If you can't get the old one off at all by Monday let me know. I have some lying around I can send you for whatever the shipping is.

The alternator is grounded through the body in addition to whatever cables you add. In reality you probably only need the supplied ground to run from the alternator to the bell housing. I can see that they would have the supplied positive cable go directly to the starter. If you really want to attach the stock ground to the alternator drill out the ring terminal some or crimp a new larger one on the cable.
Old     (superair502)      Join Date: Mar 2010       08-20-2010, 10:00 PM Reply   
Thanks for the advice guys! One last question the manual says to ground the alternator to the battery ground or bell housing. Does this really matter or can I put it on the same ground as the starter, because it would be much more accessible
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       08-21-2010, 10:52 AM Reply   
I would just make sure it is grounded to the block somewhere. It doesn't really matter where. Just make sure the connecting point is clean.