Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through February 24, 2008

Old     (kikitlo)      Join Date: Jul 2005       01-26-2008, 9:09 AM Reply   
My family is planning a housboating trip this summer to Lake shasta. My son will be 2 and a half so he will require life jacket. My question is for you parents that have done these type of trips with youngsters is do you leave them in there PFD's the whole time, just close and lock the doors? I am only asking because while the safety of my children are the utmost importance, but at the same time I don't want to make it miserable for them.
If you should happen to leave them in a PFD, what kind are you using so that I may look into a more comfortable solution?

Thanks in advance
Cory
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       01-26-2008, 9:35 AM Reply   
It's been a few years but we kept our kids in PFD the whole time on the house boat, mine was very inquisitive (and fast) and always looking for ways to get in trouble at 3. I would recommend it.
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-26-2008, 10:05 AM Reply   
The entire time. We have actually yet to take our kids, but everyone we go with that has kids, take them.....and the kids wear vests all the time.

Well, not while eating and the like.... But when people are just having fun, the kids have PFD's on....even the older kids. If they were them in the normal boat, they wear them on the houseboat.

Better safe than sorry.... Seems like too often you read about a kid drowning at Powell after falling off a houseboat.
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       01-26-2008, 10:40 AM Reply   
We had a ski club rule out at our Delta island that all kids under 12 years old had to wear a life jacket at all times when not in their cabins because they were always falling in, even if they knew how to swim.
Old    wakelvr            01-26-2008, 11:09 AM Reply   
I would definitely require them to wear a life jacket all the time too. Kids are sneaky and I wouldn't want to count on me outsmarting them every second of the day. For sleeping arrangements, I would consider locking the doors with an extra child proof lock. Depending on what kind of door, you can find them at Target, Babies R Us... etc.
Old     (rnopr8)      Join Date: Apr 2005       01-26-2008, 12:31 PM Reply   
life jackets unless they are sleeping
Old     (shon_g)      Join Date: Apr 2007       01-26-2008, 1:15 PM Reply   
We own our own Houseboat, and we hardly ever take our daughter on it. It is just not fun for her. She hats being in the PFD all day. We usualy get G-ma to watch her when we are going out there.
Old     (kikitlo)      Join Date: Jul 2005       01-26-2008, 3:20 PM Reply   
Thanks for all the relpies. It really reinforces our thoughts. Does any one have good suggestions for youngster PFD's? Since has has grown we need a new one anyways.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       01-26-2008, 3:57 PM Reply   
Neoprene was better for my smallest one than the foam and nylon vests. We thought it might be hotter but it wasn't and the softness around her neck was a big plus. The high neck collar was a good pillow if she lay down in the boat.
It was just a rule. She had to wear the life jacket and she has to finish her milk. Life isn't really that tough at three.