Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       10-28-2006, 9:08 PM Reply   
A word of warning to all of you young wakesurfers, too much surfing can lead to hair loss.

Here’s a picture of me early this season, you can see that I have advanced hair loss.
Upload

I went out to day and as you can see it all fell out; I seem to have none left!

Upload
Upload
Upload

Many of you know Jeff Walker and know that he suffers from the same affliction, somebody should start an intervention for him before it’s too late!
Old     (clubmyke)      Join Date: Aug 2004       10-28-2006, 9:56 PM Reply   
have you thought about Propecia ?

good to see your still riding...we broke out our drysuits last week in so-cal..
Old    surfdad            10-29-2006, 5:14 AM Reply   
I suffer from hair loss? What are you talking about? :-)

Upload
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       10-29-2006, 6:54 AM Reply   
This was my third last ride of the season. Bryon Greene the operator of Wakeboard Midwest holds an annual Halloween Washout in Indiana. It’s an informal wakeboarding get together, this year adding wakesurfing.

Conditions:
Water temp 48F
Air Temp 42 F to 48 F
Winds gusting to 20 to 40 mph
Wind chill - freaking unbelievable

Thank goodness Chris brought other gear and let me borrow his dry suit
Upload
Here’s a picture of Dan trying to recover after riding.
Upload
Upload
We almost lost him to the dark side
Upload
Bryon - note the cape then you'll understand that he truly rides on the dark wake.
Upload

One of the better looking locals - the girls are going to want phone numbers now
Upload

It's a little hard to ride in a dry suit, or maybe it was the mask?
Upload
Upload

Chris let me ride his Zap skim board – not a bad ride, we didn't have his wake super dialed in I’d like to ride it behind my boat.
Upload
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       10-29-2006, 6:58 AM Reply   
It's worse than I thought, Jeff is in deep denial.
Old     (masonwakerider)      Join Date: May 2003       10-29-2006, 12:46 PM Reply   
Cool pics, i dont know if it is just me but this spring in cold water the inland's traction really hurt my feet, and i dont really like to ride in shoes but had too. Wondering if this is just me, of if other find the traction on their boards a little hard.
David
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       10-29-2006, 1:22 PM Reply   
We've had a lot of boards to ride this last season. Including Inland Surfer boards, Trick Boardz, Shred Stixx, and a Walker project board.

Riding the Walker Project board, with out any traction took some getting used to. We're out in the Midwest and we're not used to surfing and don't have local surfshops - I didn't even know that you could buy traction kits for boards. I lent the Walker board to Robbie G., he added bath tub grip pads on it. In the cold water I'd say I didn't notice the difference with the Pads on.

Scott S. has an older IS Blue. That board has a sand paper like finish. Scott said that at the end of the first season riding that board he thought that the skin on the bottom of his feet had worn from the sand paper.

The traction of the Stixx boards is similar to the IS boards. In warm water both give you great contact with the board. However I could see that colder water cold make the pads more stiff and maybe make it a little rougher on your feet.

The traction on the Trick Boardz used to be neoprene – I think, yhey changed to an EVO (I think). The Trick Boards traction pads are more smooth than rough, I think I prefer pads a little more rough than the Trick Boardz pads. However those pads wouldn’t hurt your feet in cold water.

I think you need to walk barefooted more often. When you can play soccer on a rough gravel parking lot, then grass hopper you will be ready to surf in the cold waters.

(Message edited by Bigshow on October 29, 2006)
Old     (masonwakerider)      Join Date: May 2003       10-30-2006, 2:00 PM Reply   
Yeah my inland is a first gen chubby with a surf style traction pad on the rear and wax on the rest of the board. Other board is the first year 5'6" landlock and i like that pad a lot really cozy on the feet.
Old    surfdad            10-30-2006, 3:04 PM Reply   
The foam that most manufacturers use is referred to as EVA. Ethylene-Vinyl Acetate, a polymer. It retains low temp elastomeric properties, down to like -40 F. I'm thinking that the attributes of the EVA didn't change but that your sensitivity to the hardness level of the particular foam did. Freeze your hand in ice cold water and then WHACK against something and you'll notice the increase in perceived pain. :-)

EVA can be blended to different hardness levels also, like most polymers. Maybe we need a "cold water" EVA with a "softer" hardness level :-) We don't have these issue in CA, you midwesterners need to toughen up. :-)